Archived Terming...

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was a kid and worked for Randall's, I saw people get fired for a single NCNS, or if they had 2-3 days of performance issues they were gone. I feel like terming a TM takes forever! I don't understand the reasoning behind having to do so many different pieces of paper work in order to get rid of toxicity...I don't see smaller companies doing this...is it because of lawsuit potential or what?

I get some people improve with coaching but why does an adult have to be coached almost 6 times before a term? Like seriously you are grown...

Ass covering.
This. Even in "Right to Work" jurisdictions employers must ensure every action is followed up on and documented thoroughly lest they potentially be held liable in a wrongful termination lawsuit. And with how litigious our society has become ...you practically need to run naked through the store singing "Rock Lobster" at the top of your lungs before you get fired. Of course, they could always state they were expressing themselves or their religion or something.

Bless His noodly appendage.

If you are not a half ass leader, you know well within the 90 day period if someone is going to work out. A good leader takes advantage of that legal option and moves the slugs out. No explanation other than your services are no longer needed!

Unfortunately for me, all these "slugs" were hired by the previous ETL-GE and GSTL who were on their way out and I got stuck with them post 90 days. :(. Also due to this hurting HR numbers it seems that the ETL HR makes it hard to even remove them within 90 days

All you can do is continue to build enough of a file for leadership to dump them.
Hopefully before they cause any lasting damage.

I get some people improve with coaching but why does an adult have to be coached almost 6 times before a term? Like seriously you are grown...
It took almost a dozen for the last pog hire we forced the pptl to not keep past her 90 days. After that it can take up to twenty coachings over a month time minimum. Ridiculous.

If you are not a half ass leader, you know well within the 90 day period if someone is going to work out. A good leader takes advantage of that legal option and moves the slugs out. No explanation other than your services are no longer needed!

Or you have so few options you have to keep these slugs until you get someone better. My team is dealing with that now. She is nice enough but has NO hustle. Slower than me when my back is acting up and can't seem to get that you do this, then that and when you run out of those do this other thing. Nope wanders around lost looking for the TL.. But she does show up and does ok with the work, so we are trying to get her to understand - girl you have got to get your butt in gear..

This bothers me. I wonder how often documentations occur and how much of it is truly relevant. This is the side of leadership with target i have yet to experience. I want to know how often a team members actions throughout a day are documented purly based upon the TLs perception of the circumstance. For some reason this bugs me. Corporate makes it so difficult to term because 9/10 ppl woth power abuse it lol. Ignorance is bliss and the ego is a strong blade my friends.

This. Even in "Right to Work" jurisdictions employers must ensure every action is followed up on and documented thoroughly lest they potentially be held liable in a wrongful termination lawsuit. And with how litigious our society has become ...you practically need to run naked through the store singing "Rock Lobster" at the top of your lungs before you get fired. Of course, they could always state they were expressing themselves or their religion or something.

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? Pesto be upon you.

This bothers me. I wonder how often documentations occur and how much of it is truly relevant. This is the side of leadership with target i have yet to experience. I want to know how often a team members actions throughout a day are documented purly based upon the TLs perception of the circumstance. For some reason this bugs me. Corporate makes it so difficult to term because 9/10 ppl woth power abuse it lol. Ignorance is bliss and the ego is a strong blade my friends.

Taking 25 minute 15's, constantly leaving your lane for reasons such as "I needed to go to guest service to look up an item", or having to use the bathroom multiple times every single shift with zero medical documentation, or my favorite, walking off from self checkout and handing the keys to a gsa because "your shift is over" leaving it completely void of coverage when a cashier was clocking in right then to cover it and saying "well I don't care my shift is over" after during your shift taking a 25 minute 15.

if the TL is enforcing target policy fairly across the board and holding everyone to that standard which is company policy I don't see how it could be an abuse of power. I'm sure people do it, I won't dispute that, but having to repeatedly coach a grown person? I get once or twice even about the same thing but after three times you should be done. They get wayyyyy to many tries.

I like this post. We'd get along gloriously!

Can't you just schedule them the bare minimum until they quit? Nobody is guaranteed a certaint amount of hours when they are PT, right?

Can't you just schedule them the bare minimum until they quit? Nobody is guaranteed a certaint amount of hours when they are PT, right?
They basically are in certain jurisdictions. One such law called "secure scheduling" protects employees' right to hours. In this case they could cut hours but then would not be able to hire anyone else until the TM quit. Of course very very few cities have these laws so ...

They should hope for a performance in the buff through Pfresh.

May you be touched by His noodly appendage.

A few reasons....

1. Legal issues (largely depends on the state).

2. Cost to hire and train someone else.

3. And to a lesser degree, no better options to hire.

You can definitely fire a team member but it takes a lot of work and a lot of leaders aren't willing to go through that process.

It's usually a lazy team lead. My store has a crappy backroom team member we want to fire but our backroom tl never writes him up. Writing someone up kind of sucks, and you have to use a lot of Target lingo when you do it.

If a leader isn't willing to write someone up that person isn't going anywhere

This. The best termination is when a team member terms themselves.

You can't technically not schedule people at all but you can give them unpreferable shifts.

Or if you have a slacker schedule them when there TL is there to make them uncomfortable

1. Legal issues (largely depends on the state).

Even if you are in a right to work state. Employment lawsuits are costly to the company. Even if they win. The goal of Targets process is they don't want anyone to be surprised they are being fired. Enough coachings and the writing is on the wall

Last edited:
@HRZone right, and how many write ups are informal or unofficial to the TMs awareness?

Verbal coachings don't go on your record.
All documented coachings the leader is supposed to read from a script so you know it's going on your disciplinary record.

Correctives are signed by the tm so that also makes it clear it's being documented

Verbal coachings don't go on your record.
All documented coachings the leader is supposed to read from a script so you know it's going on your disciplinary record.

Correctives are signed by the tm so that also makes it clear it's being documented

This isn't accurate. A documented coaching doesn't need to be read from a script, and is typically better if the team member doesn't know it's being documented.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back