Archived Thanksgiving scheduling

Status
Not open for further replies.
okay, so I work overnights, been at Target for a year and two months now.my availabilty is from 10pm-7am. On Thanksgiving I'm scheduled to come in at 5:30pm and I can't do it. I'm telling them on Saturday...should I expect a hard time? I told them I was available Thanksgiving but for the overnight shift like always.

And I'm sure most of the dayside TMs don't have overnight availability, but they're still going to get overnight shifts.

Sorry, but unless you have a good excuse (such as working another job), I doubt they are going to let you off the hook.

It depends on how understanding your ETLs/HR are. You'll likely get the "This is retail; deal with it" speech (my team already got that, and this was the first year HR never came around in advance to ask us our preferred BF week schedule). Maybe you should ask around first and see if there's anyone who'd be willing to swap their overnight (mid) shift for your opening shift? Sometimes there are some that really want that holiday pay.

Yeah I'm gonna ask around first. I'm gonna look at the schedule and see the hours. If I'm unsuccessful in that, I will talk to my ETL and tell him the earliest I can come in is 9:30. If that is a problem, I will go to the STL and if that is also unsuccessful, I won't go in. Just can't make it, there's a reason I work overnights, I don't drive and depend on rides, of which are available at night. Not only that, my family has had a very tough year losing my Grandpa and this being the first Thanksgiving without him, I need to be with my family for dinner. I've already accepted that this will get me fired, but if a difference of four hours is what does it, then so be it. It will be time to move on.

Edit:
Not to mention I work Wednesday night into Thanksgiving morning until 6:30am which means only 11 hours between shifts. Sorry not happening.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm gonna ask around first. I'm gonna look at the schedule and see the hours. If I'm unsuccessful in that, I will talk to my ETL and tell him the earliest I can come in is 9:30. If that is a problem, I will go to the STL and if that is also unsuccessful, I won't go in. Just can't make it, there's a reason I work overnights, I don't drive and depend on rides, of which are available at night. Not only that, my family has had a very tough year losing my Grandpa and this being the first Thanksgiving without him, I need to be with my family for dinner. I've already accepted that this will get me fired, but if a difference of four hours is what does it, then so be it. It will be time to move on.

Edit:
Not to mention I work Wednesday night into Thanksgiving morning until 6:30am which means only 11 hours between shifts. Sorry not happening.
Only 11 hours..

Everyone's expected to have open availability on thanksgiving/black friday..

Unless you've already spoken to your etls about it previously, expect it not to go over well.

They can ASK you to work outside or your availability hours but they shouldn't just schedule you without asking, That being said I was scheduled outside of my availability 2 x Thanksgiving week, but the kicker is that I have to work 5 days to get 29.75 hours the week of Black Friday. WTF???!!!

They can ASK you to work outside or your availability hours but they shouldn't just schedule you without asking, That being said I was scheduled outside of my availability 2 x Thanksgiving week, but the kicker is that I have to work 5 days to get 29.75 hours the week of Black Friday. WTF???!!!

Same. I'm outside of my availability one day (maybe more. I only looked at Black Thursday and Friday) and I have 29.25 hours. I've been counting on 40 hour weeks from thanksgiving week till Christmas... like my whole financial plan is based on 35-40 hours. My etl didn't even go around asking about our preferences. Well, she did, but she only asked like 3 people. If she asked, I'd be more accepting. She didn't, though. I'm annoyed.

. My etl didn't even go around asking about our preferences. Well, she did, but she only asked like 3 people. If she asked, I'd be more accepting. She didn't, though. I'm annoyed.

Mine did for the first time this year. Had no idea if I'd be softlines or ship from store, but told me I was working day shifts. Then I get a 4am on Thanksgiving morning. I don't consider that a day shift. ugh.

Eh black friday is different. At my store you had to ask for availability ahead of time. Regular availability went out the window.

That said it sounds like your stores HR did not communicate that ahead of time and I am sorry about that. They messed up.

Last edited:
I'm scheduled for 5:45 PM-12 AM in electronics on Thanksgiving. Super early dinner that day? Blargh. How does one mentally prepare for the insanity that will ensue? I'm hardlines, but they never have me cover electronics, probably because I'm only one month in. How bad will it be??

I work 45 hours the week of black friday, 3:30 to 11 Thanksgiving (so I won't even get to have dinner) and I come in 8 the following morning...bleh. I wonder how many guests I'll see walk in the door 6pm Thanksgiving

You may just be cashiering in electronics. We have 2 electronics openers who stay on register while others help guests.

I'm scheduled for 5:45 PM-12 AM in electronics on Thanksgiving. Super early dinner that day? Blargh. How does one mentally prepare for the insanity that will ensue? I'm hardlines, but they never have me cover electronics, probably because I'm only one month in. How bad will it be??

It will be crazy but you probably wont have a set of keys, you will just need to keep guest informed and ring people up.

I have pretty much the same schedule as last year. Cashier shifts 5pm-11pm on Thanksgiving and 5pm-11:30pm on Friday. We always eat dinner around 2-3pm so it's not a big deal fro me. I'm not a football fanatic so I don't mind missing the games.

On another note - this was interesting to read. Guests will need cartwheel to take advantage of T-Day specials? Anyone else heard of this? Or did the reporter get it wrong?
Target's Black Friday starts now

I noticed a slight change in hours like 1.25 but I cashier and work nights so I might be able to make up the .25 at least
I work 5:45 to 2:15am and then 4:00pm to 11:30pm on friday so 13 hours between shifts

Last edited:
I noticed a slight change in hours like 1.25 but I cashier and work nights so I might be able to make up the .25 at least
I work 5:45 to 2:15am and then 4:00pm to 11:30pm on friday so 13 hours between shifts

Fun. I work Friday 12am-9am then come back at 5p-12am. :( i wish they had given me a shift on thanksgiving instead.

I'm surprised after last year, where between 4pm Thursday and 7 pm Saturday, I worked 34 of a possible 51 hours, they scheduled me for 4pm-6am Friday for GSA, but I'm off the rest of Friday and come in 8-430 Saturday for FF

You may just be cashiering in electronics. We have 2 electronics openers who stay on register while others help guests.

Whew, that I can handle! Hope I get the hang of removing spiderwraps before then.. I'm so bad at those. Always feel like a complete fool when I encounter them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back