Thanksgiving shift

My understanding of taking a Target role is that you will be available for holidays, weekends and especially Black Friday and Thanksgiving as these are essential days to Spot. When you got hired, your HR TM would've went through that spiel to make sure that was understood- and you may have needed to speak out then.
Now... when you got the job, sure, maybe the Thursday thing wasn't an issue to the scheduling, and maybe Black Friday was such a ways a way that someone may have decided to say something like 'we'll revisit that closer to time... But being that important day, it shouldn't have been assumed it would be given off like a normal day.

To answer the question though: Yeah, I think they will give you a hard time. Bringing this up NOW when leaders are crunching to set positions as the schedule is dropping onto Kronos TODAY puts them in a tough position. Nearly every TM (maybe minus a handful give or take and ASANTS) is scheduled for Thanksgiving, many that may not be are usually (but not always) essential to pre-event set ups and finding another TM to cover would be daunting to say the least.
Did you talk to them 2 or 3 weeks ago before they considered making up this schedule to make sure they understood you have a job that also requires you to work then? If not, you may need to go to your clinic job and tell them what's up. Chances are pretty slim that Target will make an exception, but maybe you'll be lucky.

I’ve been with spot for over a year. My availability has been like this since forever. I guess I just assumed because last year they did not schedule me thanksgiving. I’ve spoken about how I have another job in the past so I just thought I wouldn’t have this schedule.

When we hired seasonal TMs recently all applicants were told thanksgiving is a must be open so that way they can work around current employees availability so that also made me think I was good :/

It's tricky. We all go in knowing it's all hands on deck. I would have talked to my leader last week or the week before about it, just to get ahead of the schedule. They probably could have just scheduled you off, but now if they have to ask someone to switch it reeks of favoritism.

So no advice for today, but next year get ahead of it.

Bullshit, tell whoever is your hr leader, be it an ETL or tl, that your availability is off on Thursday and Friday, and THEY will have to make other plans. In doing so, realize you'll be invoking the Wrath of Khan by exposing their mistake. They'll be petulant and childish in handling this statement from you. But pull on your adult pants and don't let them intimidate you.

Bullshit, tell whoever is your hr leader, be it an ETL or tl, that your availability is off on Thursday and Friday, and THEY will have to make other plans. In doing so, realize you'll be invoking the Wrath of Khan by exposing their mistake. They'll be petulant and childish in handling this statement from you. But pull on your adult pants and don't let them intimidate you.
I mean if you really want to be technical since you seem to be extremely entitled, THEY don’t have to follow anyone’s avail and THEY can schedule during black out days all they want. You work in retail, holidays are an expectation regardless of your normal avail. I don’t think encouraging OP to be a dick about it is going to help.

Right in the Availability that you set it says something along the lines of “we appreciate your flexibility during peak business times.” That’s their loophole you schedule according the business needs. Try posting the shift, every Thanksgiving shift that’s been posted at my store has been grabbed before the ink dries, lots of people have accepted they’re having Thanksgiving with their families on maybe Saturday or Sunday, or even the week before, so they’ll grab as much of that time and a half as possible.

Update: it DID NOT GO WELL. Had someone else offer to take my shift. I was told no because the person has only been at guest service 4 months and they want someone with 6+ months. My other job pays more so not that I would want to come into spot that day anyways. Manager asked if I’m willing to quit my other job or let it go. Another coworker had the same situation as me and asked AFTER I asked and they let her have the day off. Favoritism is real!

If I could come in I would, I have no problem missing thanksgiving (family problems). I just hate that even when I’ve found a solution they tell me no

Your ETL is an asshole. This will be my 3rd Thanksgiving out of town (my sister's family takes us to a waterpark for our Christmas presents), and I've been able to get T'giving and BF off (though I can work BF afternoon/evenings, my ETL just hasn't scheduled me) with no issue. The fact that they won't let you switch with someone is total BS. I'd call their bluff and say, yeah, I am willing to quit this job over it (not my other job) because if I were you I would be. What a load of BS.

Like you, I have another job that pays much more than Target. I stay at Target for personal reasons but should that reason disappear, I am gone. The benefit to this is you care less about new corporate initiates or management. You need to think of this in real terms: Target is a 2nd source of income that fills in the gaps. The other job probably pays your bills since you stated it pays more. Don't jeopardize the job that pays the majority of the bills. Call out and then take the call out on your record. Move on ...the fact that they gave you such a hard time tells me they are confident in your skills so they will not be eager to let you go just for 1 call out.

Well I say ditch Tarshit for the job that people need you at. A 24 hour clinic needs you more than Karen’s and John complaining about some price or that you don’t have a product that’s cheaper here than it is elsewhere.

I’m scheduled thanksgiving day. My availability is I can’t work Tuesday and Thursdays. I have another job. 24 hour clinic so we’re always open. Are they gunna give me a hard time?
Thanksgiving and Christmas are the two holiday events where Target doesn't give a crap about availability. But as a condition of your employment, you agree to work upon the business needs of the company.

Usually stores do not like it if you skip holiday schedules. Seasonals can be immediately let go. Permanent employees can be reprimanded.

You will need to talk to your leadership about changing shifts to where you can work a more available time. Maybe take on the closing shift.

One year I made it known early on with my leadership I had to work my early morning TV station job. They agreed to schedule me for a midday and closing shift.

Last edited:
Most stores understand that when they are a second job, all of life revolves around the primary job's schedule, including who has dibs on holidays. This includes people who work two retail jobs. Why does Target have such issues with comprehending this? Is it because they are such a big corporation they feel they can be a bully?

Most stores understand that when they are a second job, all of life revolves around the primary job's schedule, including who has dibs on holidays. This includes people who work two retail jobs. Why does Target have such issues with comprehending this? Is it because they are such a big corporation they feel they can be a bully?

Exactly. You are supposed to be 100% dedicated to this normally 4-5 hour a week job no matter what. I don't see your future in it going very far if you don't have 100% dedication.

And by bully, I don't just mean Target bullying the team member. I also mean Target bullying the other businesses who have an agreement with the team member that they are primary.

I set my foot down and said I’m sorry but I’m not coming in. I’m getting a corrective action because I will be calling off. And now they have to ask people if they can come in that day... couldn’t they have helped me with that before? Anyways, I’m probably leaving spot soon

PS, another TM got the day off after complaining about something. Don’t see why I’m being punished and not the other 2

I’m good standing , always work 110% . Stay longer when asked, come in my days off. Called in sick twice my year and half here. But you realize you’re not as valuable to them much as you value them

Back