• My Neighbor Totoro

• Kiki's Delivery Service

• Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

• Ponyo

• OTHER! (or all of them)

Results are only viewable after voting.

NPC

特別な目を開けるためにパトリックを殺す

Let's talk about all things animated! There is a new show coming out on Comedy Central, that has me so excited, it's sort of reignited my passionate love for animated movies and shows. So, I want to start a thread where everyone can just discuss/recommend/fan boy/rant/complain/drool/etc about whatever animated content is on their mind.

I'm starting with the show that inspired this thread. That show is Moonbeam City! It's like a sensory overload of awesome! It's fucking gorgeous first of all! Very Duran Duran, Patrick Nagel. I have never seen a style like this animated. It's so bold, pretty, and stylish. I found myself hating this "Hipster Adventure Time" style of drawing where just no one has elbows or joints. So I'm excited to see something with a more detailed aesthetic. Lots of fine details, and a very subtle finesse as if it were hand-drawn.

Also, it's just fucking hilarious. This show had me at "fart-bag." It's ridiculous, absurd, crude, and clever. My favorite kind of humor. I really hope this show does well. Click the link or else I won't love you.

FIRST EPISODE: Mall Hath No Fury

TRAILER:

Last edited:

commiecorvus

Former Signing Ninja
Staff member
Big fan of all things animated.
Huge fan of the Bruce Timm Batman/Justice League, at least he knows how to do DC right.
Anime is a passion from the classics of Cowboy Bebop and the Getbackers to Psycho-pass and Black Lagoon to everything in between.
Also watched the Disney afternoon with my kids, Ducktales. Talespin, Gooftroop, Darkwing Duck, Gargoyles, And Chip and Dale.

P

Penrose

Current favorites:
Bob's burgers
Futurama
Psycho-pass
Death Note
Devil Part-Timer
Nana
Welcome to the N.H.K

OP
OP
NPC

NPC

特別な目を開けるためにパトリックを殺す
Big fan of all things animated.
Huge fan of the Bruce Timm Batman/Justice League, at least he knows how to do DC right.
Anime is a passion from the classics of Cowboy Bebop and the Getbackers to Psycho-pass and Black Lagoon to everything in between.
Also watched the Disney afternoon with my kids, Ducktales. Talespin, Gooftroop, Darkwing Duck, Gargoyles, And Chip and Dale.
Great tastes! Cowboy Bebop is definitely my favorite anime title. I've watched that series multiple times now. A lot of anime kinda sucks in my opinion. I'm not too into the basic high school student setting a lot of series fall into. But stuff like Cowboy Bebop is great. FLCL is probably my second favorite. The soundtrack is awesome.

I used to LOVE Gargoyles as a kid! I'm happy to see it's still on TV. Batman the Animated series is pretty damn great. It really holds up through time. I watch it from time to time, and it's just as god now as it was back then. Also, Harley Quinn. My favorite character. Harley Quinn specifically from the animated series at least, that's my favorite version.

G

Keith David's narration was awesome in the intro. Gargoyles was awesome. Loved how it was able to make a cartoon about history, magic, and fictional characters entertaining.

Batman the Animated Series was amazing

Batman Beyond too. It was a lot darker. Blight aka Derek Powers was a badass villain.

OP
OP
NPC

NPC

特別な目を開けるためにパトリックを殺す
Keith David's narration was awesome in the intro. Gargoyles was awesome. Loved how it was able to make a cartoon about history, magic, and fictional characters entertaining.

Batman the Animated Series was amazing

Batman Beyond too. It was a lot darker. Blight aka Derek Powers was a badass villain.
HELL YES! All badass intros.

I love the Timmverse (BTAS, STAS, JL, JLU, BATMAN BEYOND, etc). All of those do superheroes correctly. More recently Young Justice was a favorite of mine until it was wrongfully cancelled.

I like a few animes, some of the more prominent ones being AoT, Death Note, and Fullmetal Alchemist.

If I need to have a laugh I turn to South Park. Probably one of the more underrated ones that I love is the animated Spawn series that was on HBO in the 90s. Very graphic but by far one of the best comic book based animated series.

If I want something that's a little more lighthearted but still badass its one of the Avatar series. Those might have been geared for kids but they are so amazingly written and the action is awesome so it's very appealing to anyone of all ages. There's a few other but that's about it off the top of my head.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NPC

NPC

特別な目を開けるためにパトリックを殺す
I love the Timmverse (BTAS, STAS, JL, JLU, BATMAN BEYOND, etc). All of those do superheroes correctly. More recently Young Justice was a favorite of mine until it was wrongfully cancelled.

I like a few animes, some of the more prominent ones being AoT, Death Note, and Fullmetal Alchemist.

If I need to have a laugh I turn to South Park. Probably one of the more underrated ones that I love is the animated Spawn series that was on HBO in the 90s. Very graphic but by far one of the best comic book based animated series.

If I want something that's a little more lighthearted but still badass its one of the Avatar series. Those might have been geared for kids but they are so amazingly written and the action is awesome so it's very appealing to anyone of all ages. There's a few other but that's about it off the top of my head.
YES! I was waiting for someone to mention Full Metal Alchemist. I started watching it a few days ago on Netflix. I don't think I ever finished the series when it first aired on Adult Swim. I forgot how much depressing shit they get through the first few episodes. I'm not the hugest fan of the animation style, but I guess it's the most appropriate. Had they used something more serious looking, the series would be a real downer. Haha.

I haven't heard of this "Spawn" series. But It looked pretty cool based on my image search results. Graphic is what I like! XD

Speaking of Avatar, is that where your user name comes from? Also, how come we can say "A head of cabbage" but not, "A dick of cucumber?"

OP
OP
NPC

NPC

特別な目を開けるためにパトリックを殺す
I would like to bring of the cringe subject of Invader Zim. Invader Zim has some of the most obnoxious and annoying fans ever. It's my go-to example when describing some of the annoying girls I went to school with. For every annoying Gir impression, I think I would have a slash on my wrist had I not been so afraid of pain. Heh. It's just so annoying. (I also can't stand Stitch impressions. It makes me violently angry on the inside)

Having said that, I still fucking love the series. I wish it had a more well rounded story line and not been canceled. But, the humor alone was enough to give this series some great content. It's also just a real work of art because it is VERY effective in it's execution of style, and keeping you drawn in as a viewer. It's an experience that sticks with you. It's by no means a fleeting, forgettable, cartoon. The voice acting is great as well. I'm sharing this video, interviewing the various voice actors. Seeing Zim's voice actor is crazy!

YES! I was waiting for someone to mention Full Metal Alchemist. I started watching it a few days ago on Netflix. I don't think I ever finished the series when it first aired on Adult Swim. I forgot how much depressing shit they get through the first few episodes. I'm not the hugest fan of the animation style, but I guess it's the most appropriate. Had they used something more serious looking, the series would be a real downer. Haha.

I haven't heard of this "Spawn" series. But It looked pretty cool based on my image search results. Graphic is what I like! XD

Speaking of Avatar, is that where your user name comes from? Also, how come we can say "A head of cabbage" but not, "A dick of cucumber?"

Not many people know about Spawn because its kind of a pain in the ass to find but it's definitely worth it.

I actually have no idea how I came up with my username XD. Now that you mention it though I'm hoping it was the cabbage guy somewhere in my subconscious suggesting it.

OP
OP
NPC

NPC

特別な目を開けるためにパトリックを殺す
Not many people know about Spawn because its kind of a pain in the ass to find but it's definitely worth it.

I actually have no idea how I came up with my username XD. Now that you mention it though I'm hoping it was the cabbage guy somewhere in my subconscious suggesting it.
Lmao, I hope so too. I haven't watched Avatar at all. A few episodes here and there. But when it first came out, I thought it was supposed to be a rip off of anime, so my stubborn teenager self, refused to give it a chance. Heh. But now it's on my list. It's weird how it feel like it almost takes effort to watch stuff these days. A totally effortless activity, that I'm too lazy to do. Is it on Netflix? I was so happy to see that Full Metal Alchemist was on Netflix. That makes life easier. If I ever can't find something easily, I'll just stream it online somewhere. I'll do that with Spawn if I can find it. It just sucks because the sound quality is usually awful, and I think it's illegal. Hehe. I've been doing that with Law and Order: SVU. (not animated, so we won't talk about.)

They should caption FMA with this. "Full Metal Alchemist: Everyone's Parents are Dead."

Lmao, I hope so too. I haven't watched Avatar at all. A few episodes here and there. But when it first came out, I thought it was supposed to be a rip off of anime, so my stubborn teenager self, refused to give it a chance. Heh. But now it's on my list. It's weird how it feel like it almost takes effort to watch stuff these days. A totally effortless activity, that I'm too lazy to do. Is it on Netflix? I was so happy to see that Full Metal Alchemist was on Netflix. That makes life easier. If I ever can't find something easily, I'll just stream it online somewhere. I'll do that with Spawn if I can find it. It just sucks because the sound quality is usually awful, and I think it's illegal. Hehe. I've been doing that with Law and Order: SVU. (not animated, so we won't talk about.)

They should caption FMA with this. "Full Metal Alchemist: Everyone's Parents are Dead."

Avatar isn't on Netflix anymore. I was able to watch the whole thing with an Amazon Prime trial since its on Amazon instant video. I saw the sequel, Legend of Korra, as it aired and for free on the nicolodeon website. I can't recommend it enough, cause it really is a fantastic show.

Yeah lol, FMA can is pretty harsh when it comes to parents. Then again, there is the father near the beginning of the show that conducts those chimera experiments...so maybe the writers are on to something.

OP
OP
NPC

NPC

特別な目を開けるためにパトリックを殺す
Avatar isn't on Netflix anymore. I was able to watch the whole thing with an Amazon Prime trial since its on Amazon instant video. I saw the sequel, Legend of Korra, as it aired and for free on the nicolodeon website. I can't recommend it enough, cause it really is a fantastic show.

Yeah lol, FMA can is pretty harsh when it comes to parents. Then again, there is the father near the beginning of the show that conducts those chimera experiments...so maybe the writers are on to something.
Oh it's not?! Damn. I know I think I saw it a while back, I didn't realize it was gone already. I really wish Netflix didn't do that. I don't understand the point of leaving things on their temporarily. Must be some stupid licensing thing. I guess I can watch it on Amazon again the next time they offer me a free prime trial! Lol.

I'm on episode 31 right now of FMA. It's when Ed and Al go back to see their teacher. Oddly, (it's sort of embarrassing) but the whole equivalent exchange philosophy they talk about while on the island is what made me give up on being a vegetarian. Haha. It makes me laugh.

Last edited:

mrknownothing

purveyor of things
YES. Loren Bouchard + H. Jon Benjamin = win. And Home Movies too.

I would like to bring of the cringe subject of Invader Zim. Invader Zim has some of the most obnoxious and annoying fans ever. It's my go-to example when describing some of the annoying girls I went to school with. For every annoying Gir impression, I think I would have a slash on my wrist had I not been so afraid of pain. Heh. It's just so annoying. (I also can't stand Stitch impressions. It makes me violently angry on the inside)
Sounds like my ex. She was obsessed with Invader Zim.

OP
OP
NPC

NPC

特別な目を開けるためにパトリックを殺す
So I recently finished FMA...and have now begun FMA: Brotherhood. From what I've heard, Brotherhood is the higher rated series. However, I really don't like it at all so far. The pacing is too fast, and it's sort of childish. I swear I think I counted 5 short jokes within the first 10 minutes of the episode. And it just casually tosses in all the characters with almost no development into who they are. What the fuck! Also, I'm confused as to what it is. Is it a reboot of the first anime? Or just a different adaption of the manga? If so, I may just skip it, if it's the same story, just told differently.

OP
OP
NPC

NPC

特別な目を開けるためにパトリックを殺す
I will say that the art is a little better...but not enough to really have me captivated enough to watch. The art in FMA may have been very simple, it was still very effective in telling it's story.

M

MrGeppetto

I will say that the art is a little better...but not enough to really have me captivated enough to watch. The art in FMA may have been very simple, it was still very effective in telling it's story.
I've watched both Full metal Alchemist series 4 times and still want to watch it again. I liked the 2 movies very much as well.

My Favorite Anime has to be Eureka 7, the artwork is PHENOMENAL and the story kicks ass.
the 50 episodes go very fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
NPC

NPC

特別な目を開けるためにパトリックを殺す
YES. Loren Bouchard + H. Jon Benjamin = win. And Home Movies too.
I think my favorite thing they do in Bob's Burgers are their references. The Totoro reference for example caught me completely off guard, so I could hardly control myself. It was hilarious. The Reservoir Dog reference was pretty good too. The little jingles they make are really good. I want the "Candy" one from their first Halloween episode for my phone, but I have yet to find an mp3 of it. Sad. :(

Sounds like my ex. She was obsessed with Invader Zim.
These girls existed by the dozens at my school. I hate hearing the "OMG SQUIRREL" nonsense. Ugh. Just UGH! And they weren't even nice at least!

OP
OP
NPC

NPC

特別な目を開けるためにパトリックを殺す
Rick and Morty. I fucking love it. Also a friend of mine works on it, which makes it even cooler. XD haha.