Archived The effect of Shipt on Team Members

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are spending your profits on gas and maintenance you might not ever afford a new car
No, these count as business expenses and aren't included in profit. (Just like Target doesn't count the selling price as profit, only the amount over the cost of goods sold, labor, overhead, blah-blah.)

Anyway, it's not like a Shipt shopper or an Uber driver is going to make a ton of money, even if they devote a lot of time to it. I've read the same is true for some at-home online jobs. For someone who needs a super-flexible second job and maybe doesn't have the qualifications for higher paying work, it can be a way to fill in some gaps.

There was suppose to be a demonstration of the service today with leaders and people from Shipt followed by a camera crew for local news but neither showed. About two dozen from other stores helped make the store look pristine. Local radio station made a visit supposedly but I might have been packing in SFS or on break. I don't know the number but some Shipt workers had an orientation. The day prior I noticed one of their people [Shipt hat and shirt] using a laptop on a shopping cart. He said he was checking price accuracy of our products to their website.

I actually ran into/talked to a green shirted person shopping in our store today and helped her locate some stuff. Woah. It was a p big order too.

It's weird that leadership has *still* not said anything about it in huddles or really at all. If I didn't read TBR I would probably have given the Shipt chick a "who the fuck are you" stare and called AP on her. Lmao. Communication how does it work?

I might want to try Shipt as a part time or 2nd job gig while at Target.

there's this thing called InstaCart in my area too.

I think Shipt won't phase out SFS or OPU because it allows users to get Frozen goods delivered right to their doors, where with SFS you obviously can't ship frozen goods, and OPU you can't pick up frozen foods because they'll just melt and rot.

With Shipt, you place an order, someone picks it out the next day, and brings it to you literally right after, so you can get those frozen goods.

OPU and Shipt will be separate entities in their own respects, and both have their conveniences... it just depends on the person. I think a lot of people will opt to go in store and just buy their stuff themselves and be on their merry way. At least with OPU there's no extra cost for the convenience, whereas with Shipt you have to pay to get it delivered + tips.

I really like the business idea behind Shipt, I just might do it if it's kept local and I'm not expected to drive 30-45+ minutes on the freeway to get to a house in another city. I'd use that extra $$$ to get a new economy efficient car and/or to pay off my current car loan so I can get another car on payment.
Target employees are not allowed to work for shipt.

Yep, HR Lead said today you'd have to quit Target to apply for Shipt.

I sense a Failure, there are many companies like shipt, and they are not just Limited to one business. The fact that shipt will be dedicated to target only, is going to be its undoing. It is beyond stupid, target wants to conduct a $550 million experiment. Wtf are they thinking? Mark my words, it will fail.

It’s kind of sad. It seems that uber is making millions. Poor people are just slaving away thinking that this is going to be their ticket out of poverty.
Uber is not making millions, they in-fact are LOSING BILLIONS.

I was talking with my Uber/Lyft driver and he was telling me that both companies now offer a 401k, health/dental insurance, and other benefits. They also have a program where you put a deposit down and rent a car from them and get to keep the profits and get your deposit back when you bring back the car. I'm not a fan of the gig economy but I wonder Shipt will start offering traditional benefits as well.

Uber is not making millions, they in-fact are LOSING BILLIONS.
This is true, Uber is being propped up by wealthy benefactors with the believed goal of leading the gig economy and undermining traditional employers.

It's weird that leadership has *still* not said anything about it in huddles or really at all. If I didn't read TBR I would probably have given the Shipt chick a "who the fuck are you" stare and called AP on her. Lmao. Communication how does it work?
Communication is unheard of. I have asked questions about events both at my store and on the Target FB page and no one had answers. Don’t put out events (Dr Seuss day, Hatchimal hunt, etc) and then keep the cashiers (all team members) in the dark. If we can’t promote it then it will be a flop and guests that show up will complain.

I sense a Failure, there are many companies like shipt, and they are not just Limited to one business. The fact that shipt will be dedicated to target only, is going to be its undoing. It is beyond stupid, target wants to conduct a $550 million experiment. Wtf are they thinking? Mark my words, it will fail.

You can shop at stores other than Target using Shipt, including Meijer, Kroger, Publix, and some other regional chains.

You can shop at stores other than Target using Shipt, including Meijer, Kroger, Publix, and some other regional chains.
Anyone know - if you have multiple participating companies in your area, do you have to pay for multiple accounts, or can you pick stores under one membership? They're in my area with Meijer, but I haven't heard of other local stores particpating. And definitely not available at Target here yet.

Anyone know - if you have multiple participating companies in your area, do you have to pay for multiple accounts, or can you pick stores under one membership? They're in my area with Meijer, but I haven't heard of other local stores particpating. And definitely not available at Target here yet.

I'm like 80% sure that by paying for a Shipt subscription gives you access to order from any participating retailers in the area. So your one yearly subscription would let you buy from Meijer, Kroger, Target, etc.

In my metro at least,we are. There are several tm at my store who do.

Do you have Shipt at your store?

Yep, HR Lead said today you'd have to quit Target to apply for Shipt.
Target employees are not allowed to work for shipt.

Not true for my store. I thought about doing it for maybe an hour or two every once in awhile. Talked to someone that made about $100 for 3 hours of doing Shipt and thought"hmmm".

I asked my TL and an ETL if TM's can do Shipt and they said absolutely and to let them know how it went if I did do it. When you go to sign up for Shipt one of the questions is "are you a target employee". If Target wouldn't allow you to also work on the side for Shipt then that question alone should disqualify applicants, but it doesn't

I'm a Shipt Shopper in the Chicagoland area. We have been delivering from Meijer and beginning today, 6/7/18, we will begin delivering for all Chicago area Targets.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a Shipt Shopper in the Chicagoland area. We have been delivering from Meijer and beginning today, 6/7/18, we will begin delivering for all Chicago area Targets.

How many hours a week or day are you doing Shipt and roughly how much do you make?

And what do you mean by "tax exempt"?

PassinTime- I'm making enough to cover my expenses from month to month and GoodNN by Tax Exempt, I mean the customer pays their taxes to Shipt and there are no taxes included in the order at Target when I pay. So the 7.5% of the order is 7.5% of the total with no taxes accounted for.

Gotcha. So do you have a tax exempt letter that you give the cashier when you ring out?

Also, what if a Shipt customer has to return something that was ordered through the site? Do they get a receipt? Because it sounds like a Shipt account is being charged at the store level, not the customer's.

PassinTime- I'm making enough to cover my expenses from month to month and GoodNN by Tax Exempt, I mean the customer pays their taxes to Shipt and there are no taxes included in the order at Target when I pay. So the 7.5% of the order is 7.5% of the total with no taxes accounted for.

Just covering expenses...so no compensation for your time? Ouch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back