Archived The Fine Line Between GSA and GSTL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what the deal with mine was, and I don't think it was them trying to scam a couple of bucks. My ETL-HR said that I was keyed and it should have just been a simple change of permissions in the POS, but the option for supervisor access was never available. I think in the end she had to mySupport the issue.

What is funny though is that with new TM's who don't have ringing permissions yet, there was the option to give them Supervisor permissions.
Likely depended on the position of those new TM's. Cashiers can never have supervisor #'s, but electronics TM's can, so can starbucks, I...think....PA's can as well, I think there's 1-2 other TM positions that can as well,but don't remember for sure which ones they are.

Oh, Target Mobile can. I remember seeing that and laughing since MarketSource tells them under no circumstances to ever give out discounts under their #'s.

as to whats funded/not, that's store specific.

There's stores where service desk and pharmacy are funded at the end of the night rather than the following morning?

Seems unusual, I assumed some stores pharmacy was involved in banking/closing their own registers, as that was the only reason it being different had ever made sense to me, whereas Guest Service makes sense because those reisters start with over 10x as much money as the other registers.

Closing also involves closing out the salvage and CRC boxes....

That is all on the Service Desk at my store. I mean, it's the GSA's responsibility to make sure it gets done, but it's always up to the closing Service Desk TM to close and tape up all CRC/Savage boxes and bring them to reverse logistics.

In my store, AP is supposed to close CRC, but they don't always do it. Guest Service does Salvage and everything else. It's not our job to close registers, but I like to close mine for the GSTLs because they frequently look like they could use the help. I'm pretty sure if Guest Service is your official work center, your number is authorized to close Guest Service registers. Just not the check stands of course. :p

I don't recommend trying to give GS an additional task each night. LOL, I just do it to be nice. XD

In my store, AP is supposed to close CRC, but they don't always do it. Guest Service does Salvage and everything else. It's not our job to close registers, but I like to close mine for the GSTLs because they frequently look like they could use the help. I'm pretty sure if Guest Service is your official work center, your number is authorized to close Guest Service registers. Just not the check stands of course. :p

I don't recommend trying to give GS an additional task each night. LOL, I just do it to be nice. XD

Yes, as long as you are keyed to have Service Desk status then you can close the service desk registers.

It's not too difficult, it just takes a while. Closing registers are super easy, but if you have self checkouts then it is more difficult.

Basically, you should aim to start closing down registers half an hour to an hour before closing time. To start closing registers, you go K4 - GSTL -> K8 - Start Closing Procedures. This will close all unused registers. If you don't have supervisor access, then you will need to have the LOD print out a SpeedID and give you his pin so that you can close the registers. This might take a minute or two depending on how many registers were used that day, and once it's done it will print out a slip. That slip will list how many start funds you need, and what registers need to be closed. DO NOT LOSE THIS LIST. At this point, you need to walkie the LOD and tell them how many bundles you need. At my store, we usually needed between 20 and 25 bundles plus the self checkout start funds. Soon after that your LOD should come up with this red turd of a cart that has your start funds and the bags for the closing funds. There should be 2 drawers. The top one is where the start funds are kept, and the bottom one is a "drop". It'll have a locked door and a shoot above the door so that you can just drop the closed bag into the locked drawer without opening it. There is a key on your GSTL keys that gives you access to the drawers, it should be the same key as the change fund that is on one of the check lanes. From here, it's just going to each register and closing it. Since you're doing this while the store is still open, you should leave at least 2-4 lanes open and at least 1-2 Service Desk registers open. By this time both Starbucks and Food Ave are probably closed, so I usually start with them. To close a register, you stay on the login page (don't log in yet) and hit K5 - Close Register -> Type in TM# and pin. Then the drawer should pop open, and you remove all of the paper money from the register. If the register is short on a particular coin, there should be an option to add it on this screen (K8 I believe) and it will add one roll of that type of coin. Remember to only add one roll as opposed to the two for change requests. Put the money into the bag marked with that register number. For example, Register 79 (Lane 9) will go into the bag marked either "Lane 9" or "Register 79". You should be able to see the register number on either the top left or top right of the screen. Lift the plastic tray and remove any coupons, stray bills, rebate checks, etc. Next you take a start bundle from the turd cart, break the seal, and place the bills into the appropriate slots. Then you can close the drawer. If you didn't ask for any coins on the previous screen, it should prompt asking if you needed to add any coins. Then you just rinse and repeat. You should also be removing any coupons and sales audit slips/tax exemption slips from the registers as you go along. At my store, we had a large bin for coupons and a small pencil box for sales audit slips. You also need to remove the change fund from wherever it is kept.

The only exception to this process are the Service Desk and the Pharmacy registers. (NOTE: I haven't been a GSA since the CVS pharmacy takeover, so I don't know what the procedure is for Pharmacy anymore.) On these registers, you just remove all funds and you do not place a start fund inside of them. This is done in the morning by the opener the next day.

After the store closes, you can close the remaining registers. At closing time, I'll have my cashiers zone the check lanes/bullseye's playground/card wall/endcaps in order to get things looking good while I close the remaining registers. Once you've finished closing everything and you have all of your bags ready, you walkie the LOD and you bring the money to the CO for them to process it. Make sure that you bring everything with you, which includes coupons/audit slips, change fund, the bags, and the closing slip that you printed out earlier. This usually just consists of you naming off all of the bags so that they are all accounted for. Before you call for the LOD, you need to be absolutely sure that you have all of the bags. If you leave a bag, even an empty one, out at the end of the night both the LOD and yourself could be put on an immediate final. Whether you get a final or just a CA depends on the store. Usually if you are both still in the CO when it is discovered that you are missing a bag, the LOD will just send you back out to find it. If it's discovered after the CO is armed, however... You'll be up shit creek without a paddle.

I won't go into closing Self Checkouts since they have like 20 steps, you should be able to partner with your LOD to get close them at the end of the night if you have them.

Our resident GSA/GSTL's @GSAhole @Retail Girl @Flabbergasted @Nauzhror, let me know if I missed anything. It's been a few months since I closed the front lanes.
All of it sounds right to me, as I am the closing GSA at my store most nights. As far as Pharmacy goes. My store fully converted (signs and everything) and we still own the registers. Target still processes all the money and then pays CVS the money from any items that are only behind the counter. So the closing process is still the same as you mentioned.

Definitely. It's also not too uncommon to have a new GSA without supervisor permissions, it took my leadership a good 3 weeks before I got my access. Definitely another ASANTS thing, but knowing Target tendencies it wouldn't surprise me. I'm aware that you can reprint the checklist, it's just that our Sr. GSTL made it very clear that he wants us to keep the original for the CO. Why, I don't know.
maybe its because i asked it happened before my first gstl/gsa shift. its just a register access thing, no need for hr/whatever to approve. its just a supervisor to say you are one.

sr gstl is wrong. they don't care.

maybe its because i asked it happened before my first gstl/gsa shift. its just a register access thing, no need for hr/whatever to approve. its just a supervisor to say you are one.

That's not true. You have to be keyed as a GSA before you can have your permissions changed to supervisor. When you go to change the permissions it just won't list "Supervisor" unless you have been keyed for it.

It depends on your previous workcenter. Some such as Starbucks TM and I think Electronics TM are eligible for Supervisor Access through POS. Sales Floor TM, Guest Service TM, and Cashier TM, for example, can not be given supervisor Access through POS. If coming from one of those Workcenters, HR needs to key you in to a position that allows Supervisor access

It depends on your previous workcenter. Some such as Starbucks TM and I think Electronics TM are eligible for Supervisor Access through POS. Sales Floor TM, Guest Service TM, and Cashier TM, for example, can not be given supervisor Access through POS. If coming from one of those Workcenters, HR needs to key you in to a position that allows Supervisor access
You're right. I gave two of my Starbucks TMs supervisor access for certain reasons, they didn't need to be keyed in by HR.

I'm MBTM so I have supervisor access. I've covered GSA breaks and lunches but this will be the first time I've been scheduled GSA. I'm happy that I'm getting to do it. Wish me luck!

Not true, when I got locked out with the wrong pin, there was an option for supervisor..... the three options are, no access, access, supervisor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back