Logistics The Flow/Inbound thread: Until We Yeet Again edition 🤙

Yeah, funny how with the passage of time we tend to forget the bad parts. Sorry, but I'm glad you "confessed" that you're not even at Spot anymore. I'd been thinking that either your store was perfect or you were delusional. I'm on the ground NOW - on the line with the new unload process, pushing product on the floor with the u-boats that don't hold my trash adequately, trying to maneuver in a crowded stock room because too many people leave their vehicles of back stock. Life with modernization is just peachy!
Yeah not totally understanding the new unload process, but we were playing around with custom blocks over a year ago and turning them into 3-4 aisles to make them more manageable for one person. Uboats were never a problem for my team. We started using them throughout the store even before modernization. The crowded backrooms and the less space due to SFS expansion and A&A backroom reprofiling are things I never had to deal with. In my experience, a lot of the success or failure comes down to how the store is allocating hours and scheduling. We played around with it for about 6 weeks before we found something that actually was working fairly consistently. But then after I left hours got slashed and I don't think they've really recovered since then. It's a shame bc that store was finally getting to a good place again and for sure would've been off the focus store list.

Just a side note: I also thought I've been pretty clear that I wasn't working for Target since earlier this year. My bad if that didn't come across. But having worked retail for the past decade I can say that the only worthwhile goal is to give guests a great shopping experience. Everything you do everyday should help you achieve that goal. If it doesn't, then we probably shouldn't be doing it.

How common is it for you guys to take a break during the unload? As of now, my TL refuses to let us take a break until it's all wrapped up. (In between ETLs right now.) Yesterday we ended up taking our break about 30 minutes before hitting our fifth.

How common is it for you guys to take a break during the unload? As of now, my TL refuses to let us take a break until it's all wrapped up. (In between ETLs right now.) Yesterday we ended up taking our break about 30 minutes before hitting our fifth.

You may want to check the board by the time clock, there is a blurb on their about if you don't get a break by the third hours they still have to give it to you and then pay an extra 15min.. You may want to talk to HR about that.. Cause that ain't right.. They should be sending people to break while others are still working, they are just fucking lazy and don't want to manage.

Our unload stop to take their 15 and lunch. Yes that's how long it takes to do unload. 1800 to 2300 pcs

I’m a fan of the new unload. My TMs love the back stocking portion of it. I don’t blame them. My team hides hours on sales floor now and those are my “experts”. I use about 8-9 for the unload and will drop more to push if the end of truck is near. We can get the unload done in about 3 hours and out by noon. Then we have a few that want to stay each day and tie up by loose ends (bs or palletize transition).

These flow kids are really starting to get on my fucking nerves. I really do think they're all going to quit en masse and fuck me over very soon.

"Hurr durr my car won't start" IT'S ALWAYS THEIR CAR. JESUS, HOW SHITTY IS YOUR CAR?! If you crushed it at the junkyard, would lemonade squirt out???

Their problem is that they sleep in until 10 minutes before it's time to clock in and stumble out of bed at the last minute. Car trouble is exactly why I get up and around 30-45 minutes early in case my car isn't starting so I have time to get an Uber.
Yes! yes it would.

We take our breaks at 6:15 regardless of how far we're at in the truck unless were at the wall then we take it as soon as were done and that was a team decision so they wouldn't have to go back to the truck after there breaks

You may want to check the board by the time clock, there is a blurb on their about if you don't get a break by the third hours they still have to give it to you and then pay an extra 15min.. You may want to talk to HR about that.. Cause that ain't right.. They should be sending people to break while others are still working, they are just fucking lazy and don't want to manage.

Oh interesting, I didn't know that. I always figured as long as it was still before we had to take a lunch, leadership was covered. I'll have to look into it.

I will say that the unload started at midnight and the next "wave" of people didn't come in until 4 am. So it was just us four on the line and our thrower. No one to really cover us, but those 15 minutes probably would have been good for morale.

Ugh today’s a disaster. I mean everyone thinks I did good but to me not finishing a truck is not good at all. Feel like shit and this new process is starting to get on my nerves because they don’t give hours for my team. You guys going to give us 6 trucks per week with hours for 11 TMs with 4 hour shifts per truck day?! I’m going to lose my mind on my first 4th quarter as a TL

Can someone who has had success with the new unload process please post a pic of their line setup with the u-boats? Feel free to crop out as much as you need to stay anonymoose, I'm just curious to see how much space you have to work with and if that might be what makes a difference.

As mentioned our receiving is about the size of a broom closet so the u-boats have barely 6 inches of space between them. This spacing is similar to when we used flats and pallets except that the last two can be loaded easily from the front, but with u-boats you have to shove them apart to stock from the side. We already didn't have enough room with the old process but switching to u-boats has made this a lot worse. We got 40 new u-boats for the process but still end up running out of them before the unload is done so a lot of casestock ends up piled on the floor. It definitely didn't improve anything and just made the unload more crowded and tedious.

Can someone who has had success with the new unload process please post a pic of their line setup with the u-boats? Feel free to crop out as much as you need to stay anonymoose, I'm just curious to see how much space you have to work with and if that might be what makes a difference.

As mentioned our receiving is about the size of a broom closet so the u-boats have barely 6 inches of space between them. This spacing is similar to when we used flats and pallets except that the last two can be loaded easily from the front, but with u-boats you have to shove them apart to stock from the side. We already didn't have enough room with the old process but switching to u-boats has made this a lot worse. We got 40 new u-boats for the process but still end up running out of them before the unload is done so a lot of casestock ends up piled on the floor. It definitely didn't improve anything and just made the unload more crowded and tedious.

We just got the rest of our U-boats and as much as i like the extra vehicles.
It feels like my new job title is vehicle sorter
Because i kid you not it takes me from 2:30am-4am to move all the full vehicles out of receiving and then set up the line of empty vehicles,open the truck and prime the line before the team arrives at 4am.

We have the same problem with space. Team members have trouble removing their full u boat from the line to the salesfloor. Than the congestion of trying to get to the compactor while a team member has to break the to get their u boat that is on the blue side. And this before Christmas transition comes in and toys galore.

The side of the line we have uboats on has just enough space from the end of the uboat to some steel where I can roll a bale through and knock all the uboats by a 30 degree angle getting it to the trailer. I can only imagine how the flow dudes move the uboats out of that mess when fully loaded.

I can only imagine how the flow dudes move the uboats out of that mess when fully loaded.

Not flow, but I'm usually around when the truck is finished. The first uboats are a team effort to get out. One TM grabs the uboat and tries to pull it out. A second TM angles the other uboats and tries to keep them that way. A third kind of helps guide and makes sure no boxes fall off. It's uhh efficient.

The side of the line we have uboats on has just enough space from the end of the uboat to some steel where I can roll a bale through and knock all the uboats by a 30 degree angle getting it to the trailer. I can only imagine how the flow dudes move the uboats out of that mess when fully loaded.

At my store there's about a 1 foot gap between the steel and the uboats so good luck getting yourself through much less a vehicle of any kind.

As for moving them out, we...uh...don't. My assigned custom blocks are in the middle of the mess so I always have to wait until other peeps pull theirs off the end so I can get to mine. I already lost time because of the longer unload and now I get even less time to finish my shit after nu-unload rolled out. It blows so bad.

That sounds about right, our backroom is tight as well, I think also having people pull full ones out helps. I saw that today people coming back to pull the full ones out and replace them or stage them to go back to the line after they were bowled out. This was one day I saw, I could be fucking wrong about everything I saw, since I usually miss the unload. Or catch the very tail end of it.

Back