Archived The most crucial and least important roles in the store?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullseyerc

GSTL
In my opinion definitely cashier. Without the cashier we wouldn’t have anyone to generate and ring up sales/nor red cards. We would have all self checkouts and very angry guests and we would lose sales. This is why guest first is crucial and ensuring we make it a fast, fun, and friendly experience for all of our guests. What’s the purpose of the people who unload the truck or salesfloor or a GSTL/GSA if the product never makes it out the door in the first place and the GSTL/GSA has no one to manage?

AP is another crucial one. Without AP we would have an incredible amount of loss and i truly do respect this role.

HRTMs we could do without and just have ONE srTL HR or ETL-HR per store. I also truly don’t understand the role of “beauty”. All they kind of are are glorified Sephora team members tbh. I know they’re there to provide excellent guest service/experience and to sell products but I’ve met some beauty TMS who don’t know a thing about make up.

Cart attendants are an extreme asset to me as well. I don’t know what I’d do without them.

VML is pretty useless as well. They’re a glorified Salesfloor TL. (Not even TL anymore per say).

Electronics team members are borderline not very useful as well. I mean honestly anyone could do electronics with half a brain.

I’ve gone to stores also where the PMT is absolutely lazy as fuck and is far from being useful. (Can’t say this for all)

ETL salesfloor? Never understood that concept. ETL-LOG could very well run that like some store do.

PA’s.. never understood that one either.

And fuck target please get rid of the GSA role. GSAs are severely underpaid. Make all current qualified ones a GSTL and make it SRGSTL/GSTL instead of GSTL/GSA.

I know I️ am probably going to get a lot of backlash for this but these are just my opinions.

I think in the end it's all a team effort, without any of us we wouldn't be here. First, all guests need product to pick from, and product only gets out via Hardlines, Flow etc.

Certainly if there's no Point of Sale customers will just walk out or get mad.

But if there's no product out on floor but a Point of Sale, people get angry.

Cart attendants are an extreme asset to me as well. I don’t know what I’d do without them.

Definitely agree, without us, who will clean all the spills? Surely no one on the floor wants to LMAO. No one else will push in carts or clean bathrooms, either.
Electronics team members are borderline not very useful as well. I mean honestly anyone could do electronics with half a brain

Ughh I wish, I applied for the position but the Electronic's TL didn't want me.. but he did end up hiring a kid in 11th grade at the time, it was his first job, I know him, and from what I've heard, he's complete ass, I wish he would have just transferred my work center to electronics, apparently after my Car Sales job absolutely no one is convinced I can sell, but the 16 year old geek can apparently, but not from what I've heard from both of our Veterans Electronics TMs and other TMs back there, he has the worst AAR rate and doesn't really do shit.

And fuck target please get rid of the GSA role. GSAs are severely underpaid. Make all current qualified ones a GSTL and make it SRGSTL/GSTL instead of GSTL/GSA.

I agree to an extent, GSA is alright if their role is purely to assist the GSTL... but when stores have them doing everything a GSTL does, lone closing/opening shifts, emails, coachings etc, then I 100% agree.

I can actually see a good use for PAs, at least in my store, our PAs actually do only "assistant" stuff and help our TL in grocery.

I disagree with the electronics TM.
I think they are very important. A good electronics TM can do great with ad-on sales, preventing theft, and answering guests tech questions. Target makes little profit off of tech merch, like TVs, so a good, knowledgeable TM back there makes a big difference.

As a GSTL you viewpoint is EXTREMELY skewed. As I have not seen a GSTL leave the front lanes, other than to close electronics.

In my History at working with the company I would order TM status as........

1: PMT, Pretty much the MacGyver of my Store.
2: HR Team Member (Good HR Team Members (Team Members, not Salaried). Can be your best friend.
3: 4: GSA +Signing TM
5: Receiver
6: Cart Attendant, I remember one time a Cart Attendant walked past me carrying a basket of toilet paper, and when I held the door for him he held the other side,

The then replied "Don't hold the door for me, my highest priority, is just to fill the toilet paper" (TM Bathroom).

I said, I ain't moving. Your job is the most important in the god damn store.

He smirked and walked away.

HRTMs we could do without and just have ONE srTL HR or ETL-HR per store.

Maybe for low volume stores that happen to also have a competent HR leader.

From what I have read at this forum thus far, I think our stores would be screwed without HRTMs like @HRZone , @LUR99 , @imared , @OverworkedHRTM , @Herefora , @Fyi, @ohsherrymylove, and myself. Our ETL-HRs rely on us to assist them because they can't (or don't want to) handle everything that we need to do in human resources.

Last edited:
6: Cart Attendant, I remember one time a Cart Attendant walked past me carrying a basket of toilet paper, and when I held the door for him he held the other side,

The then replied "Don't hold the door for me, my highest priority, is just to fill the toilet paper" (TM Bathroom).

I said, I ain't moving. Your job is the most important in the god damn store.

He smirked and walked away.
I just hate cart attendants who are petty.

Totally making us out to be what we aren't. Everyone at my store loves when I do Carts because I'm not treating the position like scum of the earth and I actually do my job, but the ones that act like they hate life and only do half of the job, they wonder why everyone hate's them, and then in turn, we get other TMs who love to just rag on us, I mean I can't blame anyone because everyone has personal experiences but sometimes I get told some shit by other TMs on this forum or from seasonals at my store that just pisses me off, usually it's along the lines of "All cart attendants suck" or something lol.

To be frank, I'm not quite sure if what your CA said was snarky or funny or ironic, but however it came off as, it sparked my paragraph above.
Our ETL-HRs rely on us to assist them because they can't (or don't want to) handle everything that we need to do in human resources.

I feel ETL-HR is a more general position, sure they handle orientation and things regular HRtms can't handle, but for the most part my ETL-HR is doing LOD shifts or is helping on the floor until she's needed back to her office for paperwork or a TM issue or whatever it is. Part of me says it's a valuable position but my ETL-HR could easily just be a SrETL-Sales Floor or just a generic ETL. Promote an HRtm to HRTL and call it good, I guess?

I also learned that my store has an ETL-Food... but then we have a Senior ETL-Food, does anyone else's stores have anything like that?

I just hate cart attendants who are petty.

Totally making us out to be what we aren't. Everyone at my store loves when I do Carts because I'm not treating the position like scum of the earth and I actually do my job
, but the ones that act like they hate life and only do half of the job, they wonder why everyone hate's them, and then in turn, we get other TMs who love to just rag on us, I mean I can't blame anyone because everyone has personal experiences but sometimes I get told some shit by other TMs on this forum or from seasonals at my store that just pisses me off, usually it's along the lines of "All cart attendants suck" or something lol.

To be frank, I'm not quite sure if what your CA said was snarky or funny or ironic, but however it came off as, it sparked my paragraph above.

I feel ETL-HR is a more general position, sure they handle orientation and things regular HRtms can't handle, but for the most part my ETL-HR is doing LOD shifts or is helping on the floor until she's needed back to her office for paperwork or a TM issue or whatever it is. Part of me says it's a valuable position but my ETL-HR could easily just be a SrETL-Sales Floor or just a generic ETL. Promote an HRtm to HRTL and call it good, I guess?

I also learned that my store has an ETL-Food... but then we have a Senior ETL-Food, does anyone else's stores have anything like that?

It isn't this at all, this Cart Attendant, has been in his position for at least 5 years(was here when I started), and just let loose a comment that seemed unimportant and demeaning, out of frustration (Also had a trainee coat tailing him.)

Maybe for low volume stores that happen to also have a competent HR leader
From what I have read at this forum thus far, I think our stores would be screwed without HRTMs like @HRZone , @LUR99 , @imared , @OverworkedHRTM , @Herefora , and myself. Our ETL-HRs rely on us to assist them because they can't (or don't want to) handle everything that we need to do in human resources.

I totally agree with you. We do more than just sit on our butts and spin on our chair, especially during 4th quarter! I haven't been able to take my 15 minute breaks in a week because I have so much to do. My Sr. HRTL works very hard but there is no way he could do it all by himself.

It isn't this at all, this Cart Attendant, has been in his position for at least 5 years(was here when I started), and just let loose a comment that seemed unimportant and demeaning, out of frustration (Also had a trainee coat tailing him.)

That makes sense, wasn't necessary for him to say that, but definitely is normal to feel that way in that position sometimes.

That makes sense, wasn't necessary for him to say that, but definitely is normal to feel that way in that position sometimes.
You should hear some of mine on Signing, they are borderline "Team! whats the Code for Suicide Watch??".

In my opinion definitely cashier. Without the cashier we wouldn’t have anyone to generate and ring up sales/nor red cards. We would have all self checkouts and very angry guests and we would lose sales. This is why guest first is crucial and ensuring we make it a fast, fun, and friendly experience for all of our guests. What’s the purpose of the people who unload the truck or salesfloor or a GSTL/GSA if the product never makes it out the door in the first place and the GSTL/GSA has no one to manage?

AP is another crucial one. Without AP we would have an incredible amount of loss and i truly do respect this role.

HRTMs we could do without and just have ONE srTL HR or ETL-HR per store.
Spend a week in my role and you will realize how much HRTM actually do.

I also truly don’t understand the role of “beauty”. All they kind of are are glorified Sephora team members tbh. I know they’re there to provide excellent guest service/experience and to sell products but I’ve met some beauty TMS who don’t know a thing about make up.
Our Beauty area has never looked so good since starting having Beauty TM. It is always zoned, looks great and we always have a TM who can assist guests. The role has increased our sales and reduced theft.

Cart attendants are an asset and underpaid.

VML is pretty useless as well. They’re a glorified Salesfloor TL. (Not even TL anymore per say).
Our VML is a huge support to the soft lines Team.

Electronics team members are borderline not very useful as well. I mean honestly anyone could do electronics with half a brain.
Ours have great knowledge of electronics and are able to assist guests with purchases and up sell.

I’ve gone to stores also where the PMT is absolutely lazy as fuck and is far from being useful. (Can’t say this for all)
Ours is awesome, he constantly fixing something.

ETL salesfloor? Never understood that concept. ETL-LOG could very well run that like some store do.
Our ETL is ETL salesfloor/ETL GE and ETL starbucks, he's a busy guy!

I don't know much about the PA role.

Agreed, I fill in if a GSA/GSTL calls out. GSA's deserve more pay.

I know I️ am probably going to get a lot of backlash for this but these are just my opinions.

In my experience, it's not necessarily the position in the store, but how the person in that position utilizes it...all positions have the potential to powerfully impact the store in different ways. A good ETL-LOG can make your store's processes run like butter, or a team of PA's/CTL working together can transform Market and make that area shine. I've seen different parts of my store win at different times due to the people who were running it...once those people left/moved on to other areas, the "importance" of that role tended to shift as well.

How many threads have we gone thru this?
Everyone weighs in & it starts turning into a 'my-job-is-more-important-than-yours' dick-measuring contest.
In the end, everyone's roles are crucial & - like a final round of Jenga - you don't realize it until one of those components is missing & the store implodes.

Everyone weighs in & it starts turning into a 'my-job-is-more-important-than-yours' dick-measuring contest.
In the end, everyone's roles are crucial & - like a final round of Jenga - you don't realize it until one of those components is missing & the store implodes.

In this case, as Signing TM, and waking up earlier than all positions mentioned. My dick is clearly above everybody else's.

obviously, you are going to lean towards your own department as the "most important." it's just human nature. regardless, every work center directly effects another, they are all very important.

Thank you for that.

Yeah this thread sucks lol. I know a lot of folks who think gstls are glorified cheer leaders but I wouldn't dare post that because I know they put up with a lot of abuse.

Instead of talking about whose worthless let's talk about how we are one team that makes it all work?

Well said.

Maybe for low volume stores that happen to also have a competent HR leader.

From what I have read at this forum thus far, I think our stores would be screwed without HRTMs like @HRZone , @LUR99 , @imared , @OverworkedHRTM , @Herefora , and myself. Our ETL-HRs rely on us to assist them because they can't (or don't want to) handle everything that we need to do in human resources.

Lol I went on vacation one week with my etl hr taking over my duties. When I got back the etl log and sf told me I'm not allowed to go on vacation again.

Lol I went on vacation one week with my etl hr taking over my duties. When I got back the etl log and sf told me I'm not allowed to go on vacation again.

lol Is this the same ETL-HR that sat in to observe you and take notes on how to run orientations?

I had something similar happen to me too. A few years ago, I went on a short vacation that lasted less than a week. When I returned, my ETL-HR told me that he realized how important I was while I was gone because our scores turned red. He was like, I need you here to keep us green. Haha.

Last edited:
Seriously don't understand the point of this thread.... Target wouldn't make something a paid position unless it was needed... all postions are honestly equally important.. without log we could never even get the product, without Hardlines/softlines we could never push the product, without TLs the HL/SL TM's wouldn't know what to do, without cashiers no one could buy anything, without GSTLS nobody could help the cashiers... the list goes on. All roles at spot are dependent upon all of the other roles, that's why we're called TEAM members. Because we're a team.

Meanwhile Food Ave hasn't even been mentioned bc it's literally just an extension of the store. Lol even I know my position is not super important (other than to feed hungry TMs who forgot their lunch)

When I was in FA it was the first to be closed down if they needed the TM elsewhere. It didn't happen often but it happened...

one-team-we-are.jpg

I feel like a decent amount of people would say AP based on what they DON'T see us doing.

Granted, the store could run without us. If the TPS calls out, the zones are still probably getting done. It's what we do that people don't see that makes us useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back