Archived The Official 9PM Black Friday Rage Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I will say it's retail it's expected you work BF. Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, Macy's and major retail store you work there. Sure it stinks Target is opening up early but it's life think of others who have no job so be thankful you have a job. Unless you are lying on your dead bed, hacking up a lung as my ETL said no one calls off unless you want to kiss the job good-bye. I often wondered this though what if you got sick as you were working I guess they would provide you with a trash can and make you still work because as they said no calls offs. Gotta work!

Did somebody say rage?

Picture_2_c.jpg

Unless you are lying on your dead bed, hacking up a lung as my ETL said no one calls off unless you want to kiss the job good-bye. I often wondered this though what if you got sick as you were working I guess they would provide you with a trash can and make you still work because as they said no calls offs. Gotta work!

When I clock in I often look at the shift swap board, sometimes just curious, sometimes to pick up a shift. When I looked at it today, the usual paper had been replaced with a new one saying there wouldn't be any shift swaps or call-couts from now until after Black Friday (talk to your ETL if it's an emergency). Also, I just got hit with a cold; I closed Sunday night and was so exhausted/dizzy that I fell when putting a shirt on a rack above my head! Gotta work, indeed...

When I clock in I often look at the shift swap board, sometimes just curious, sometimes to pick up a shift. When I looked at it today, the usual paper had been replaced with a new one saying there wouldn't be any shift swaps or call-couts from now until after Black Friday (talk to your ETL if it's an emergency). Also, I just got hit with a cold; I closed Sunday night and was so exhausted/dizzy that I fell when putting a shirt on a rack above my head! Gotta work, indeed...

best place zoning areas for you, would be hba to find the best drugs or ask the pharmacy on what to take. domestics is great place.
i hope you feel better.

My line of thinking is 12am on black friday is O well, its retail I knew what I was signing up for, when they crossed the line into thursday thanksgiving day is when they went to far. Ill put up with it this year but I will not be at target next year.

Bwahahaha. You so sound like Cooper from The Retail comic!

Lol, just read the comic I think you referenced. I don't feel as bad because I didn't volunteer, plus she knows I can't stand her family. Though I did tell my ETL that I would come in as early as he needed me to as I knew I would be working.

Honestly, holidays don't mean that much to me. When I'm done with school and hopefully find a job in my field, I might enjoy them more. I guess I'm one of the lucky few that makes time to see my family more than just Thanksgiving and Christmas day. I guess I'm pretty thankful that I get to see my family more than 1 or 2 days a year.

Me not liking my fiance's family + time and a half, shift diff, and an extra "thanks for working today" dollar per hour = I will work as much as you need me to, Spot. I will be making over$20/hr from 6pm-1:30 am. Can't say I'm too disappointed.

While you will be making over $20.00 an hour, there are a boatload of us who won't be pulling in this kind of an hourly wage. If I knew I'd be getting over $20.00 an hour, I might be a bit more excited to work.

For three hours I'll be getting time & a half, I'll get 2.75 hours I'll be getting an extra dollar....then I get to go home at 3am.....only to return at 3pm to 11pm....back at my regular hourly wage. So, sorry if I'm not as excited as you are.

Yeah...well, here's the thing. My grandmother is spending her first major holiday alone without her husband of 60+ years....if I don't go, and if my parents also use the "we work retail and can't travel either" card, then Grandma spends the holiday alone. So it isn't as easy as it seems sometimes.

Clopens for me mean leave at 10:30pm, back at 8am. That's 9 and a half hours of time when I get to sleep on a normal sleep cycle.

I'm not really upset about working it...I'm upset about the consumeristic greed. And I'm annoyed this is what it has come to. And I'll be there with a smile on and ready to do what is needed to be done. I just dislike that this is what society has come down to: work and boss first, the family and important stuff, second. Thankfully after I graduate, my next line of work should be able to straighten that out a bit more. And it breaks my heart to see people have to scramble to change plans with family and friends and put relationships second so they can keep their commitment to their employer.

How about someone bringing grandma to their house near you to spend the holidays? I bet she would like to spend more than a few hours with you all.
I have a sister in law that will spend the holidays alone due to her work a holic husband, so I just put her on a train or go get her to spend the week with us.

With working retail and being 150 to 200 miles away, it isn't really possible for me or my parents, unfortunately. That means even more time to drive there, bring her back, and then drive her back and come home. Working all of Thanksgiving weekend, it has to happen in less time, not more.

Ehh, if I wanted holidays off I wouldn't have gotten a job in retail.
Going to have to cut my dinner short, but not sweating it. Lucky and blessed to have a job atleast while there are PLENTY of people who would GLADLY come in on Thanksgiving at 9pm or later and get a paycheck.

I've been with Target long enough to realize these things. Either deal with it or get out of retail, no sense in complaining because quite frankly, you won't be getting anywhere with that.

Someone said to me in regards to Target: people either move up or move out. I, unfortunately, am one of the ones "moving out." I want a job w/ more responsibility, that values my education, and compensates me for my time. I found one. Woohoo!

Also: I won't be working here for BF, but some friends are on crowd control and have to be at Target at 6pm on Thursday so they can open at 9pm and then do a 10 hour shift. After that: go home, and come back Friday night for a "regular shift." All and all: it's pretty much bs. However, our HR guy, made it a point at huddle to "enlighten" us and inform us about how BF is going to be catered and there will be lots of sandwich platters, breakfast foods, and bbq for lunch. So... yeah?

I have to work at 6 p.m. Walmart is giving us an extra 10% off a transaction on Thanksgiving day, if we are scheduled to work. Of course, we are all scheduled, since my store is open 24 hours.
There's no word yet about catering, but it had better be good! I remember Target used to take care of us. One year, they even brought in cocktail shrimp as part of the buffet. We got treated every shift we worked that weekend.

I have to work at 6 p.m. Walmart is giving us an extra 10% off a transaction on Thanksgiving day, if we are scheduled to work. Of course, we are all scheduled, since my store is open 24 hours.
There's no word yet about catering, but it had better be good! I remember Target used to take care of us. One year, they even brought in cocktail shrimp as part of the buffet. We got treated every shift we worked that weekend.

Leadership at my store got us Little Caesars last year... I ended up eating at FA.

I am one of the unfortunate team members that will have to close Wednesday and prep for the Thanksgiving madness. So here's hoping that I will be getting off work before 1am Thanksgiving day. What makes matters worse is that I will be working that Thanksgiving door buster event having to be back at work at 8pm that same day till 5am Black Friday. Regardless of these holiday hours. I still need to take care of my family and make a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner which we all know starts early in the morning, and I have to make a dreadfully awful decision to sleep through Thanksgiving dinner after slaving to make it (missing all the memories and bonding) so I can be ready to give all my guest this awesome vibe moment while they shop this Black Thursday event. What sucks is this is my 2nd job. I requested off from the Hospital Wed and Thurs just for the fact that I knew it was mandatory to work these days. I made adjustments to accommodate a company that didn't even accommodate me. We might as well be open Christmas day too to make those last minute sales. Be competitive while other companys are close.

Our store is opening 9P.M. thanksgiving night for those who volunteered, but not me. I'm helping set the ad that wednesday night into thursday 10P.M.-6:30a.m. (should be fun lol). But The girlfriend and I are doing some shopping for our parents and siblings at other stores for black friday and we have work 2:30-11 friday afternoon. So we both will be like zombies not sleeping for a full day and being exhausted. And I am an Instocks TM. Joy...

Catering at wally's? Nice...... My store is doing the same thing the do every year get chicken from a grocery store and it's always dried out and they leave it lay out all day how no one has died from food poisoning is beyond me.

Catering at wally's? Nice...... My store is doing the same thing the do every year get chicken from a grocery store and it's always dried out and they leave it lay out all day how no one has died from food poisoning is beyond me.

The catered buffets were actually at the Target where I worked, back when the economy was in better shape. Friday, Saturday and Sunday of Black Friday weekend.
I think they had something for us last year but it couldn't have been that good if I went home at lunch.

I'm not working on Thanksgiving because when I put in my shift request I specifically noted I would not work on Thanksgiving day, but a lot of folks are very unhappy with Target for not having the backbone to stand up for their team members. See all the petitions out at change.org! D you think all the retailers will take note? I'm a lucky "almost retiree" who works for the health insurance, not the pay... But many are buckling under for the extra pay. Personally I think it's a crock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back