1. The Break Room is NOT an official service of Target Corp.
    This is a site run by regular people who are off the clock.
    We do not perform any HR related services, or affect any internal information regarding Target.
    Dismiss Notice

The Sexy Gender Talk (Part 3?)

Discussion in 'Off The Clock Chatter' started by Target NPC, Jan 9, 2017.

?

What's your biggest insecurity out of these few options?

1. Your Shitty Personality

2. Ugly Face

3. Ugly Body

4. Your Job/Income

5. How well liked you are/how good a lover you are

6. How creative/intellectual you are

7. Age

8. Nothing, you're perfect, you fucking liar

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Target NPC

Target NPC Hecking stAp!

I felt like bringing up this topic again because it's interesting yet mystifying (at least to me, lol). I've tried before, and the thread failed miserably, and I think someone else started this discussion as well, but I'm assuming the thread just died or something as I can't even find it. So let's try again. Third times a charm, right?

I mostly bring this up after a YouTuber I follow posted a video on his/her opinions (with some research, allegedly) on the topic. It's the first rational thing I feel like I've heard, at least on the internet, about the topic, so I felt like sharing.

When it comes to the more opinion side of the discussion, her views totally align with my own. My biggest question about this topic is why can't people just wear and look however they want, without having to change their entire identity and start a whole social movement over it to shame people into accepting it? Like, there's nothing gender specific about colors or clothing, so then what's even the point of the excessive gender labels?

For example: Can't you just be a man, that wears makeup, but is still just a man? Just because makeup isn't marketed towards you, what impact does that have on your gender identity? It doesn't make sense to me, because it just seems to reaffirm social constructs and stereotypes. When you call yourself anything but outside you gender/sex because you like things that go against a stereotype, you're insinuating those items are only for a certain gender. Right? RIGHT? I DUNNO?!?!?! Does no one else feel that? I feel so frustrated and alone on that, and I'm not even sure I'm explaining my thought well enough.

Maybe as just a straight person whom has never had any gender identity issues, maybe I just lack the empathy. But without the emotional investment, it's hard to see the logic.

So there you go. Thoughts? opinions? Experiences?

SitSpotSit and Leo47 like this.
  2. smashandthrash

smashandthrash Former store logistics and receiving dc worker

Society classifies these things for simplicity or for tradition or something else. It is the norm. Gender labels are often applied to these classifications. Girls play with dolls. Boys play with a tool set. That's "just the way it is".

I don't care if your little boy plays with dolls, but our society will say, in large, that's odd.

Norms change. Fads come and go. Society as a whole will change and has changed throughout various periods of human history. The reasons for this are limitless. Technology, politics, etc.

I guess my aim there was to give a sociological overview of how humans classify things. Not sure if that really helped.

Your questions are very hard to answer because they aren't questions with obvious answers. A man may put on makeup and still be a man. I listen to enough extreme metal to know this. Haha. But the rest of society might not agree with that. Extreme metal isn't something a majority of the population listens to.

But to another man, they may want to try it out and see how they feel with it on. That's a personal choice. I don't know how someone else is feeling. Maybe they want to be a woman.

It may even be a process of deviating from a norm. Hey, playing doll isn't just for girls. Hey, boys can wear pink too. We can think of millions of examples for this point.

Or.... Maybe I missed what you were saying entirely. I feel this is a discussion and query list that is hard to explain on a message board.

3. Kartman

Kartman Gimme Moar Ours!

4. smashandthrash

I expected a better gif.

Sigh

5. Kartman

Kartman Gimme Moar Ours!

6. smashandthrash

7. redeye58

redeye58 Hasta Ba Rista, Baby!

A la Eddie Izzard?
    [​IMG]

Spot the doge and smashandthrash like this.
  8. SitSpotSit

SitSpotSit Team Member

I have thought about this, too. Here's one that gets to me - society accepts a girl or woman that dresses more traditionally masculine, a "tomboy", and they get respect. Yet, if a boy or man wants to dress in a traditionally feminine way they are taunted and not taken seriously. I very much admire and respect men who challenge norms. That confidence is something to aspire to.

There is something so strongly masculine in our culture. Or insecure. Lots of countries accept feminine men way more than Americans do. I wish we could just be and do what makes us feel good about ourselves and let others do the same.

unknown likes this.
  9. phibot

phibot The Lord of the Things

I could rant on and on about the topic.

Be who you want. I won't reject you until you start trying to ram whatever it is you're trying to force down my throat.
    Lots of "progressive" movements, that I would otherwise support, have lost me because they don't recognize when they've won.

Both Progressives and Conservatives have deeply corrupted the very definitions of their respective labels to where both sides have essentially ended up in the same place, fighting to undermind the other side in dictating how people should behave. It's sad.

I guess to get a gauge on how I view the topic, I'd start by saying that I don't view diversity as a virtue in and of itself.

If a POC, homosexual, transgendered, insert-buzzword-here person applies for Target, I'll support them in that if they can do the job well, they're awesome. However, being all those things and the "diverse perspective" that person might bring doesn't make them a better Team Member. Target loves that kind of stuff, but does being Hispanic make you a better Food Ave TM? No. Does being homosexual make you a better cart attendant? Why would it?

Just be yourself, but let people be.

Target NPC and Spot the doge like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Target NPC

Target NPC Hecking stAp!

It's sort of weird talking about this on a Target forum given all the bathroom nonsense. But, that conversation as been beaten into the ground. It's just funny.

11. OP
    OP
    Target NPC

Target NPC Hecking stAp!

I've thought about that too. Of course both genders have their problems, I think when it comes to expression and being whom you want to be, women have WAAAAY more freedom than men. Women can dress as up or down as they like, but if you're a guy wearing a salmon polo t-shirt, the most boring article of clothing to ever exist...if you even dare spice it up with a different color, you get called a pussy. The guy/girl in the video touches on that. (I have no idea if she goes by he or she by the way, but I also get the impression she's not too concerned either way.)

Have any of you seen those memes where there's a large, gigantic book, titled, "How to understand a woman?" Well I've seen versions of the meme that show the men's version by comparison, and it's about the size of a magazine. It's supposed to be mocking women, but I see it more against men. Society is so strict and rigid for them, thus, there's less to write about. On the other hand, the reason why the women's book is so much larger is because there's so much more vastness in their development.

I bet a lot of extreme feminists don't agree with that though.

SitSpotSit likes this.
  12. Kartman

Kartman Gimme Moar Ours!

It takes a REAL man to wear pastels!

13. Yetive

Yetive Servant of 2 Masters