The Things Guests Do/Pet Peeves Thread

Why do you keep gravitating to the one self checkout register that ISN'T working? There's two that ARE, and nobody is on them.

Omg yes. Ours will be shut down, black screen, sign on it saying "don't use" and at least 10 different people will walk up to it and try to scan their stuff. One of these days I'm just not going to say anything

Also - people that are confused about math? They will call me over and be like "um - why is my total this much?" And I'll grab everything one by one and point to it on the screen and say "this is this much. This one is this much. This is this much" for ALL of their items and then I'll say "and then you have to pay this much for tax and when you add it up all together it comes out to this much" and I say it in the most condescending voice ever. And then they're like "ohhh okay" ??????? Like why THE FUCK do I have to explain this to you? You are a grown ass adult and you don't understand how a total works? Ughhkhkjgjakakkaks

Also - people that are confused about math? They will call me over and be like "um - why is my total this much?" And I'll grab everything one by one and point to it on the screen and say "this is this much. This one is this much. This is this much" for ALL of their items and then I'll say "and then you have to pay this much for tax and when you add it up all together it comes out to this much" and I say it in the most condescending voice ever. And then they're like "ohhh okay" ??????? Like why THE FUCK do I have to explain this to you? You are a grown ass adult and you don't understand how a total works? Ughhkhkjgjakakkaks
"um why did cartwheel barely take off anything"

because your only offer is 5% off avacados, which is 5 cents.

While we're nitpicking people at SCO, another thing I realized people do is when the software beeps "Use card reader" when it prompts guest to sign off on their purchase, almost every guest gets confused and rip their card out of the machine(thankfully, it doesn't cancel the whole thing) and stares at the screen, making various quick, snappy movement trying to figure out what the fuck to do.. plz god just use the thinking skills you developed in third or fourth grade. I can understand the notion of "it's been a long day, I'm just tired hahahahAHAHAHhhahaahhahjajfha ofanhjkl" but it's fricken 11am or barely the afternoon.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, most of these issues can get solved by just simply reading and looking at the screen and then comprehending the information.

Also, this. So many people get something that's on sale and buy only that, so it's a one item transaction. They'll ring it up(lets say it's on sale for $10) and they'll read the total and be all "This is suppose to be sale NAG NAG NAG NAG" and bother me about it. It's just the fricken sales tax that you've paid your entire life.

Last edited:
While we're nitpicking people at SCO, another thing I realized people do is when the software beeps "Use card reader" when it prompts guest to sign off on their purchase, almost every guest gets confused and rip their card out of the machine(thankfully, it doesn't cancel the whole thing) and stares at the screen, making various quick, snappy movement trying to figure out what the fuck to do.. plz god just use the thinking skills you developed in third or fourth grade. I can understand the notion of "it's been a long day, I'm just tired hahahahAHAHAHhhahaahhahjajfha ofanhjkl" but it's fricken 11am or barely the afternoon.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, most of these issues can get solved by just simply reading and looking at the screen and then comprehending the information.

Also, this. So many people get something that's on sale and buy only that, so it's a one item transaction. They'll ring it up(lets say it's on sale for $10) and they'll read the total and be all "This is suppose to be sale NAG NAG NAG NAG" and bother me about it. It's just the fricken sales tax that you've paid your entire life.

I have 2 tax free states nearby and so I'll get the whole "but it says $24.99 on the sunglasses.." Ya before taxes..

Yes!!! They'll get soo snappy at me like "EXCUSE ME THE PRICE WAS THIS MUCH ON THE SIGN!!!!!!" And I'll just point at the sales tax amount they get so red I live for it

Guests who rather hold 20 items than get a basket because "they dont want to spend more"

Aaannd

I hate people who give their kids a toy while shopping just so they can shop then take it away at the lanes. If i hear let it go one more time, "Yamo" burn this place to the ground"

Luckily now it says out loud “scan to begin” not that anyone listens.
That is good, but it’s annoying when someone won’t stop tapping and you hear “welcome!welcome!welcome!welcome!”

Also, it says scan to begin right there. The fact that it has to be read out loud for them to comprehend it.... :rolleyes:

It is so baffling. So. Many. People. at SCO will try to scan their items not on the bed scanner but literally on the screen. Like what the fuck is wrong with you, have you been unconscious every time you’ve ever shopped? Have you never seen a barcode get scanned before? When has anyone ever scanned something on the computer screen?????? JUST STAY HOME IF YOURE THAT STUPID

Also - people that are confused about math?

Now add in the ridiculous penny per ounce sweetened beverage tax that was recently added in Cook County, Illinois.

Coke is on sale 3/$12, regular price 5.49. The SBT adds $1.44 per 12-pack, plus regular sales tax at 10%. So a guest buys 3 Cokes, and the total is actually MORE now than if they'd gone to a collar county and paid full price. Perhaps needless to say, our soda sales have plummeted since August 2 when the tax went into effect.

Now add in the ridiculous penny per ounce sweetened beverage tax that was recently added in Cook County, Illinois.

Coke is on sale 3/$12, regular price 5.49. The SBT adds $1.44 per 12-pack, plus regular sales tax at 10%. So a guest buys 3 Cokes, and the total is actually MORE now than if they'd gone to a collar county and paid full price. Perhaps needless to say, our soda sales have plummeted since August 2 when the tax went into effect.
This is why America is made fun of. Never list the full price just show the pretax price! Interesting tax I’ve never heard of that.

When they're unloading their groceries onto the belt.. They shove them all off to the side to the point the dividers are being dragged off and you have to shove things off to the side..

I have no clue why that bugs me sooo much but it does.. :oops:

It is so baffling. So. Many. People. at SCO will try to scan their items not on the bed scanner but literally on the screen. Like what the fuck is wrong with you, have you been unconscious every time you’ve ever shopped? Have you never seen a barcode get scanned before? When has anyone ever scanned something on the computer screen?????? JUST STAY HOME IF YOURE THAT STUPID
I’ve seen people try to scan not the barcode but just the label

Baby was pretty much non-stop crying. Mom trying on clothes. They come out, baby still crying. Mom has a fairly full cart.

Me to baby:”Aw, are you having a hard day, little one?”
Mom:”Yeah, she has the flu.”

Wtf? Why the everloving frack are you here? Go home. Poor kid.

Parents that let their children lay down in the space below the cart.

One day a child will lose a finger and the store will be blamed.
~

Also TLs that insist on having conversations with each other on top of what you’re working on.

Like, if you’re going to get in my damn way gabbing about some TV show then at least pretend to help me with zoning towels.

Good news goody, that finally ends December 1st.

*SCO Machine is not working properly. It has a huge, red, “DO NOT USE” tag covering the screen. The screen itself says closed. There is a stack of bags across the scanner. 5 other machines are open.*
Guest: *puts their hand basket on the shelf. Pushes all the bags on to the floor. Looks at the screen. Scans. Looks at me.*
Guest: “Why is not scanning this?”
Me: “Gosh i really don’t know, that’s so weird, the machine must be broken or something! If only there was a way to tell. Go ahead and try the machine next to you.”
Guest: “Thanks!”
My eye: *twitches*

Again, line jumpers. Ugh, they aggravate me.

I'll see 7 carts suddenly queue up and while I'm running to the one open lane to grab the next guest in line, I call on the walkie for backup AND press a register backup button.

Inevitably the person who just rolled up will hop out of line and RACE to the service desk. I just look at them and say, Oh, I'm taking the next guest in line since they've been waiting but I've called more cashiers, they'll be up in a second. And they stop in their tracks as if HOW DARE I REFUSE THEM SERVICE! Snowflakes, it's not denial of service, it's GOOD service to ring up the people who've been waiting longest. Running toward me hollering about not wanting to wait in line is the best way to get sent to the back of the line.

In almost all instances, back up arrives and everyone is out the door in a matter of minutes. I have no idea why shoppers think they're more special than anyone else. It makes me cranky.

Back