Archived .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing is locked up in our beauty department. I find ripped open/empty packages constantly. Other departments find thm too. It is like a free for all. I've asked AP about this but no reply.

We have security stickers, yellow tabs, cases and cabinets for almost everything in beauty - high theft store. There's also at least two cameras on the ceiling and even on the walls of most aisles in beauty which serves as a deterrent still, the best option is to always guest service the sh*t out of everybody even those simply walking through. "Hi! *big smile* Can I help you find something specific?? *big smile* No? No problem - I'll be right here should you need anything! *big smile*" then hang out next to them for a moment or two looking super busy - putzing on the Zebra, zone or something.

If we pull something from a cabinet (usually even those have been tagged with a sticker or is in a case) we'll direct them to the check lanes or if they have more shopping indicate where in the cabinet where it is located and suggest they pop back 'round prior to heading to check out. That's a pretty common scenario for most stores in our urban area so most guests will be obliging. ASANTS

Key is Guest Service Guest Service Guest Service. As others have said, notice those wearing out of season clothing, large bags, packages, quick item selection, small groups spreading out over multiple aisles. Chat with your AP team - they'll be more than happy to give you pointers and if you are ever unsure, radio your AP quietly to have them scan the area - ask about that - most will be happy to accommodate and may even have a plain-clothes AP TM pop in to keep an eye out.

Don't stress over it. Theft is going to happen which is why AP is there.

People who wear a profuse amount of makeup, or look extremely made up, like... bad amateur youtube makeup tutorial-style.
This is an incredibly pedantic question, but what would you say is the likelihood of shoplifting for someone with a really good full face of makeup versus someone with a really bad full face?

I have a giant purse that I put in the cart when I shop because it’s heavy and I never realized how suspicious I probably looked, especially because I do “rapid selection” because I plan out my shopping ahead of time and I know exactly what I’m getting and where it is lol

I have a giant purse that I put in the cart when I shop because it’s heavy and I never realized how suspicious I probably looked, especially because I do “rapid selection” because I plan out my shopping ahead of time and I know exactly what I’m getting and where it is lol
Lol you must have AP constantly looking at you :D

I too have a bigass bag, but it can be fulled closed by a zipper. What our AP has noticed is it tends to be big open totes that are the bag for shoplifters.

So people tend to steel anything in cosmetics even the super cheap stuff all you gotta do is watch at a distance every guest that walks in cosmetics and watch every move they all make like For me for example i caught people in cosmetics not fun to watch but see i talk to every guest and then watch all their moves the dumb part is make it look like you seem ur not gonna tell anyone but yea its hard to catch but catching people can be stressful but number one thing look for guests sticking things in purses or back packs or if they open stuff and leave the packaging empty because the alaram wont go off if they remove the item from the box also when calling for ap make sure its like quietly too and describe the person to them and then they will do their job sometimes i meet up with our ap to point them out without being noticable so they can catch them

Last edited:
So you you dont walk up the locked items to gstl and then when they check out at the register or self checkout they hand it to them while they pay? I dont see a point in locking an item if u hand it off the to the person they can still steel it lol good thing at my store you must walk up all locked items to the gstl never handing anyone anything at all times
We have nothing in beauty locked up besides fragrances. And with fragrances we just unlock and hand to guest. Everything else is totally unlocked. I feel like we should atleast spider wrap fragrances??

So you you dont walk up the locked items to gstl and then when they check out at the register or self checkout they hand it to them while they pay? I dont see a point in locking an item if u hand it off the to the person they can still steel it lol good thing at my store you must walk up all locked items to the gstl never handing anyone anything at all times
I think the idea is that after the fragrance case is opened it notifies AP and they can watch the person to make sure they pay.

My mom always put her purse in the child seat of the cart when I was a kidm I picked up the same habit. Though I've stopped doing it at stores like Target. Grocery stores, I put my purse in the cart. I always feel paranoid that I look suspicious because of all the stories I hear from SO. :rolleyes:

I don't know if this tip is useful for Beauty, but in Self-Checkout I watch out for people trying to distract me. People will come in pairs or groups and one will get my attention with (excessively) dumb, basic or off-topic conversation while the friend is up to no good.
That can be applied to any work center where one person just tries to open a convo and the other people that they are with but you don't know they are together, try to steal. Keep your eyes and ears open.

Nothing is locked up in our beauty department. I find ripped open/empty packages constantly. Other departments find thm too. It is like a free for all. I've asked AP about this but no reply.
Your store will soon collapse because of the type attitude the AP has. You should call the hotline. What they are doing is not right.

Your store will soon collapse because of the type attitude the AP has. You should call the hotline. What they are doing is not right.

As long as we consistently have a TM patrolling beauty we don't have an empty package problem. Nothing is locked up for us.

lol what the fuck @ not locking fragrances. y'alls AP sounds like ass clowns who just show up to punch their time.

Our AP has them locked the fuck down. the display case is locked with a key, and the fragrances themselves are double merch protected and walked to GS by Beauty TMs or AP themselves. I have never ever found an empty perfume package, huh...mind = blown

This is an incredibly pedantic question, but what would you say is the likelihood of shoplifting for someone with a really good full face of makeup versus someone with a really bad full face?

I just mean in general, if they look like they use a large amount of makeup, the chances of them stealing makeup will generally be higher than average. It can get expensive if you're using a lot daily.

If I see someone with a painted face approaching Pixi, I may pay a bit more attention to them as opposed to, say, a plain-faced grandma who steps up to Pixi. I'm not saying that the grandma won't steal. I'm just saying it's generally a higher probability that the person wearing a lot of makeup will do something.

As long as we consistently have a TM patrolling beauty we don't have an empty package problem. Nothing is locked up for us.
A TM patrolling beauty doesn't stop people stealing items that should be locked up. Locking them up does and so does having spider wraps and other anti-theft devices on it.

Beauty, and to a lesser degree jewelry, are my least favorite areas to watch for shoplifters. The items are so small which means the likelihood of a bad stop (concealed, but then dumped, no merch) increases. Unless it’s an obvious amount or repeat offender I usually prefer for the guest service prevention method via TPS or other TMs.

Our store locks up fragrances but also will hand them off to the guest when requested. I’m less concerned about theft when it’s only one or two times. What worries me more is the heroin addict that clears off the entire shelf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back