Thinking about applying for packer

I am thinking about applying for a packer job at my local DC. Has anyone worked in packing, and how is it? I currently have a job in food service and while I like it a lot, my pay has been cut significantly because of COVID and I need job security and better pay. I want to get some insight on what the job as a packer entails to maybe get an idea if I would like it or not. I heard warehousing is very hard, physical work... but I wonder if packing is as physically demanding? Thanks

Very monotonous and possibly mandatory 12 hour days 5 days a week for the upcoming holidays. Recently worked with a guy that also worked at kroger unloading trucks. He didn't stay past his 90days but then again most people don't. Imagine putting stickers on boxes then putting them into a cart for 10+ hours a day. Imagine getting an isle of just boxes of laundry detergent and packs of Gatorade and Juice and flavored water and you're stuck picking them for 6 hours or more. The managers ride around on things they call chariots (because they see themselves as gods) with laptops monitoring everything you do and everything you do needs to be done within a certain amount of time and a certain amount of items within that time or they will be notified and come check on you. Your numbers will also be displayed on a TV as well as the numbers of others so if you're slow and a shit worker everyone will be able to see you only pulling 60% of while others are pulling 170%. At times their won't be enough for you to do and you can either go home or they can find some BS thing for you to do that you probably won't like and that can be 2-3 months of that every night. Starting out it will probably just be pushing a broom and picking up rubber bands. Sounds easy enough but after a few hours you'll say f this. Other than that you'll get around a $0.50 raise after 6 months. Benefits are pretty good. Vacation builds up fast and that's not including personal holiday hours and well being time granted you'll need this time due to the monotony of the work. There are safety non negotiables. Just looking at your phone to check the time could get you fired and it depends on who catches you. A lot of people get used to the managers that don't care and get careless then get fired on the spot because they didn't know a manager that does was covering for another area that night. Manager might not care you leave a few minutes early for break but then someone higher up stayed late and catches you "stealing" time now you have a corrective action... If you're a hard worker that doesn't need a baby sitter and can work through a little pain you'll do fine... if you're not they'll still keep you until you dig your own hole out of there. Theirs a lot of people that they don't fire because they don't have enough reasons to fire them and they are just all around shit to work with and they try to give you bad advice. People working against you because they are either dumb or just to make their own work easier and the managers don't care because you're the one not making their numbers even though the dumb ass before you is the reason you're not making your numbers.
Thanks
@FrankM0421

Very monotonous and possibly mandatory 12 hour days 5 days a week for the upcoming holidays. Recently worked with a guy that also worked at kroger unloading trucks. He didn't stay past his 90days but then again most people don't. Imagine putting stickers on boxes then putting them into a cart for 10+ hours a day. Imagine getting an isle of just boxes of laundry detergent and packs of Gatorade and Juice and flavored water and you're stuck picking them for 6 hours or more. The managers ride around on things they call chariots (because they see themselves as gods) with laptops monitoring everything you do and everything you do needs to be done within a certain amount of time and a certain amount of items within that time or they will be notified and come check on you. Your numbers will also be displayed on a TV as well as the numbers of others so if you're slow and a shit worker everyone will be able to see you only pulling 60% of while others are pulling 170%. At times their won't be enough for you to do and you can either go home or they can find some BS thing for you to do that you probably won't like and that can be 2-3 months of that every night. Starting out it will probably just be pushing a broom and picking up rubber bands. Sounds easy enough but after a few hours you'll say f this. Other than that you'll get around a $0.50 raise after 6 months. Benefits are pretty good. Vacation builds up fast and that's not including personal holiday hours and well being time granted you'll need this time due to the monotony of the work. There are safety non negotiables. Just looking at your phone to check the time could get you fired and it depends on who catches you. A lot of people get used to the managers that don't care and get careless then get fired on the spot because they didn't know a manager that does was covering for another area that night. Manager might not care you leave a few minutes early for break but then someone higher up stayed late and catches you "stealing" time now you have a corrective action... If you're a hard worker that doesn't need a baby sitter and can work through a little pain you'll do fine... if you're not they'll still keep you until you dig your own hole out of there. Theirs a lot of people that they don't fire because they don't have enough reasons to fire them and they are just all around shit to work with and they try to give you bad advice. People working against you because they are either dumb or just to make their own work easier and the managers don't care because you're the one not making their numbers even though the dumb ass before you is the reason you're not making your numbers.
Thanks
@FrankM0421
Oh wow that doesn't sound fun at all. So packers put stickers on boxes all day long?

So monotonous work, not physically demanding. The way people are talking about it, I don't see how anyone would want to work there. It sounds miserable. Are there any pros? Or all cons?

Last edited:
I’m cross trained in packing. It isn’t that bad, but I can’t be a good gauge as I don’t do it all the time. Basically a different person feeds the line cuts open boxes. You would scan the label take the product out of the box and put it in a box that is designated for a certain store. Not hard. You can talk to your partner. For $16.50-$17 starting, not bad. There are newer packing systems in the future, I think Minnesota is the only dc currently, that will have different procedures to pack.
I am thinking about applying for a packer job at my local DC. Has anyone worked in packing, and how is it? I currently have a job in food service and while I like it a lot, my pay has been cut significantly because of COVID and I need job security and better pay. I want to get some insight on what the job as a packer entails to maybe get an idea if I would like it or not. I heard warehousing is very hard, physical work... but I wonder if packing is as physically demanding? Thanks

I’m cross trained in packing. It isn’t that bad, but I can’t be a good gauge as I don’t do it all the time. Basically a different person feeds the line cuts open boxes. You would scan the label take the product out of the box and put it in a box that is designated for a certain store. Not hard. You can talk to your partner. For $16.50-$17 starting, not bad. There are newer packing systems in the future, I think Minnesota is the only dc currently, that will have different procedures to pack.
Okay thanks so much for the reply. That doesn't sound as bad as the other comment up top. I think I will apply and see what happens. What do you normally do when not helping with packing?

I actually packer. Basically you taking product out a vender box and putting into target box. You will have different product in a target box. You will walk up and down a line for 10 to 12 hours. You must be able to lift 30 to 35 pounds. Usually work with another packer most of the time.

I actually packer. Basically you taking product out a vender box and putting into target box. You will have different product in a target box. You will walk up and down a line for 10 to 12 hours. You must be able to lift 30 to 35 pounds. Usually work with another packer most of the time.
Thanks for the reply! How do you like it?

There is a mix of males and females.....young and old....I’ve been a packer at my DC for over a year. It’s a very physical job, but doable. If you are looking for steady employment this is it. Health benefits, 401 k match, and Target discount. Right now we need packers desperately. OT is require. We are working 50-60 hr weeks. My experience there has been great. I work with some really great ppl. I encourage you to give it a shot.

There is a mix of males and females.....young and old....I’ve been a packer at my DC for over a year. It’s a very physical job, but doable. If you are looking for steady employment this is it. Health benefits, 401 k match, and Target discount. Right now we need packers desperately. OT is require. We are working 50-60 hr weeks. My experience there has been great. I work with some really great ppl. I encourage you to give it a shot.
Thank you for the great input. I just applied so fingers crossed and hopefully I get an offer 😁

I've been packing for 6 months and it's a piece of cake. It's very physical but you get used to it as time goes by. Your just scanning and tossing stuff in boxes all day or night. Once they're full you scan them out and tape them up. Its super easy, just make sure you bring a nice healthy lunch and drink plenty of water.

Worst case scenario you try it and don't like it. Just keep your head up, of all the jobs I've ever worked there are people that will be miserable no matter what their situation is. Its not nearly as bad as some make it out to be, now I'm not saying there aren't actual problems but if you can leave work problems at work you will be ahead of most others you work with.

Last edited:
What @Amata903 said is pretty much it. It’s pretty easy but your feet will hurt to begin with if you’re not walking 10-12 hours a day currently.

B1 is the shift most people want, so you got lucky there.

One thing to note is that packers get paid less than any other position and you can’t cross train in other departments because of that, however you can put in for a transfer after 6 months if you want to move.

What @Amata903 said is pretty much it. It’s pretty easy but your feet will hurt to begin with if you’re not walking 10-12 hours a day currently.

B1 is the shift most people want, so you got lucky there.

One thing to note is that packers get paid less than any other position and you can’t cross train in other departments because of that, however you can put in for a transfer after 6 months if you want to move.
Thank you. I was hoping to get this shift because I currently work the same hours and days so it's a good deal for me. And I know someone that just got hired in the warehouse and makes almost $3 more an hour than me starting so that was kind of disappointing lol. Is there a reason packers make less?

HR told me it’s because packers don’t lift as much weight. While that’s true, we walk a lot more than anyone else probably. Dumb answer from HR.
I seriously doubt they walk more than outbound. I know they also take not having to be equipment trained into account as well.

But i think its generally considered a less physical job.

As stated if you decide to later on you can put in for a department transfer. Inbound and warehouse aren't horrible but stay away from outbound.

Don't work at Tarshit there's better options than work there. It not stable hours,most leaders treat you like shit on their shoes and theypurposely keep you under hours just so they don't have to give you benefits.

Back