Archived Thinking of coming back...thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobycord

Know a little bit of info about a lot of stuff
So I've been gone from Spot for over a year now. I left on good terms and I'm currently a Store Manager at a small box retail business and negotiated to get paid just a little bit more than I was as an ETL. I'm doing great where I am (Store Manager of the Year for my district, Top 10 Sales Gains in the Region, won a contest for an all expense paid vacation to the Caribbeans) but for some reason I still find myself missing spot. My old ETL peers say I'm crazy for thinking of coming back but I still can't shake the feeling that I'm missing something and want to come back the dark side....am I crazy? Has it gotten that bad? Since I've left the store every single metric is blood red, BTS is the worst the DTL has ever seen in his career (in his words), and almost every single person I knew that was part of the team has left because they were unhappy and the few that have stayed completely hate having to show up to work everyday....even through that I feel like if I did come back I could make some kind of difference...thoughts???

It seems like you are thriving where you are. I would take your former peers’ words to heart. Stay away. It’s not good. Wait for the next CEO.

The attraction is hearing that everything went to hell after you left so there's an overwhelming urge to go back to fix everything.
BUT there's no guarantee you could do as much good as before since a LOT has changed & you'd be leaving a good place that you've cultivated.
It's akin to getting back on your feet after a bad relationship only to go back to your abuser.

Every Store, Over the entire Country currently is going downhill in some way shape or form and the Target you knew is, Very quickly dying (By that I mean the Operation Model change.) I'd stay away, I love Target but I'm personally finding a new job because I hate going into work anymore. Its always tempting to come back but it honestly isn't worth it right now.

I'd spend time trying to pinpoint what exactly you miss from your time at target. You might find the answers (people, job roles, store culture, team-working mentality, etc) have changed or are no longer part of that target store. But if what you're craving is something new and challenging, you should be able to find that just fine. ;)

Nothing Gold Can Stay.

Ever heard that saying? What you loved about working at Target most likely isn’t there anymore

Hell, I’ve been at Spot for a year and a half and I already want to leave.

If you are performing well and doing great things, I wouldn't consider coming back especially knowing what you are coming back to. If things weren't going well where you are at now, then it would be a different story but don't give up a good thing just to fix a problem someone else created.

You seem to be thriving at your new position.....and you got an all expenses paid vacation......

1) What are you thinking?
2) I hate to say this, but you are crazy to consider returning.
3) As "WalksforMiles" says "what you loved about working at Target most likely isn't there anymore."
4) You are getting paid well at your new job.
5) Do you REALLY want to put yourself back into the culture of "Target?"
6) See #1.
7) Why are you reading this.....you should be reading #1!

You are at a great place, leave Target where it belongs.....in your past.

The good things you liked at Target there are less of now,the things you hated,the reasons you left there are more of now,looks like you are doing great so knock that Target bug out of your head and move on.

So I've been gone from Spot for over a year now. I left on good terms and I'm currently a Store Manager at a small box retail business and negotiated to get paid just a little bit more than I was as an ETL. I'm doing great where I am (Store Manager of the Year for my district, Top 10 Sales Gains in the Region, won a contest for an all expense paid vacation to the Caribbeans) but for some reason I still find myself missing spot. My old ETL peers say I'm crazy for thinking of coming back but I still can't shake the feeling that I'm missing something and want to come back the dark side....am I crazy? Has it gotten that bad? Since I've left the store every single metric is blood red, BTS is the worst the DTL has ever seen in his career (in his words), and almost every single person I knew that was part of the team has left because they were unhappy and the few that have stayed completely hate having to show up to work everyday....even through that I feel like if I did come back I could make some kind of difference...thoughts???

@cobycord , My best guess is .... You are a "fixer". Innately, that's what you do: fix what's wrong; and you become the "hero". Maybe your new career is "easy" for you.... and the "hero" in you isn't being fulfilled. You could easily leave your new, successful career and subject yourself to the challenge of Spot again..... and bust your ass to "fix" what is wrong and "... make some kind of difference..." I personally think the trade-off wouldn't be worth it in the long run.
Ask yourself what made you look for something else before you left Spot. You obviously left for a reason. Trust US...... the "reason" is still at Spot. And it's quite possible bigger and uglier than you recall.

Maybe the "hero" in you can get that same high elsewhere.... volunteering? Big Brother program? Save the whales, tigers, ___ (fill in the blank)?

Have you read the thread on Store Modernization? Things will be changing quickly and support from corporate and the DCs seems to be little at best.

You may want to take a wait and see approach to see how that pans out.

Also, are you looking to return as an ETL, or STL?
If ETL, can you go back to being the leader in a department after running a whole store?

I've also returned to Spot after having been away for a while. Things have definitely changed. I have to detach from what is going on, the unrealistic goals, etc and do what I can, and not care about the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back