Archived Thinking of leaving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m thinking of pursuing work outside of Target but I don’t know where to start or how my experience translates to anything but retail. I’m a senior TL now any tips?

Try to find management opportunities in more private businesses like a factory or computer store. A lot of Senior Team Leads go to become Car Sales workers or Car Sales Management. Maybe try the move up to ETL.

I think a lot of places value Senior Team Leadership in a retail store because it means you can definitely handle a team. You can try to find a job elsewhere with your experience and see if you can move up extremely fast in to better paid positions. A lot of team leaders I know have left to become Agents at Insurance companies or to be an Agent at a Temp Work Agency and they move up pretty fast.

just have to test the waters, also this;

As a senior TL you should already know how to put in your two weeks.

Find a job before quitting, make sure you are in touch with your ETL and STL. Maybe they'll try to convince you to stay with promises of career advancement but the next step up is ETL and you'd have to become an ETL-Intern and go through the recruitment process.

I would love to move up to etl but sadly I don’t feel like my leadership really cares except for one person who wants me to do it. We even got a new dtl and he doesn’t care for tls at all. So it’s harder for me to keep putting myself out there to promote and get nothing in return at all. Then my etl said they didn’t know I wanted to promote in my review after we talked about me going to another store.

I’m thinking of pursuing work outside of Target but I don’t know where to start or how my experience translates to anything but retail. I’m a senior TL now any tips?

You can look definitely into manager jobs since you have leadership experience.

About translating your experience on a job hunt... Think about your skills. You can lead a team of people (delegate tasks, hold people accountable, give feedback, etc). You can multi-task. You can meet goals on a deadline. You deliver results. Even non-retail jobs need people who can do these things.

Use all personal, sick or vacation leave before you leave. Certain state have laws were vacation does not have to be paid to you. If you are over 55 years old & been with spot for 10 years, you could retire.

Use all personal, sick or vacation leave before you leave. Certain state have laws were vacation does not have to be paid to you. If you are over 55 years old & been with spot for 10 years, you could retire.
What are benefits of retiring from spot?

I'm not trying to be mean...... but how did you become a Senior TL and not "know where to start....experience....but retail"? You had to "impress" someone in Leadership enough to be considered for TL; you had to interview for TL; you had to interview w/ the DTL to become a TL. You've had to "Lead" teams; run the store; and deal w/ an enormous amount of Guest issues. These are kind of "adult-y" responsibilities...... but your question makes you sound like an eleven yr old. o_O

I'm not trying to be mean...... but how did you become a Senior TL and not "know where to start....experience....but retail"? You had to "impress" someone in Leadership enough to be considered for TL; you had to interview for TL; you had to interview w/ the DTL to become a TL. You've had to "Lead" teams; run the store; and deal w/ an enormous amount of Guest issues. These are kind of "adult-y" responsibilities...... but your question makes you sound like an eleven yr old. o_O

Well don’t get me wrong I’m confident with what I do and my leadership skills, I guess I’m just trying to figure out where these skills translate to best other than retail management jobs, and where’s a good starting point. I’ve applied to places like General Atomics but I’m trying to stay away from retail. So I guess where do leaders go once they’ve left?

Well don’t get me wrong I’m confident with what I do and my leadership skills, I guess I’m just trying to figure out where these skills translate to best other than retail management jobs, and where’s a good starting point. I’ve applied to places like General Atomics but I’m trying to stay away from retail. So I guess where do leaders go once they’ve left?

Okay.... now we're talking !!! Here's some key points I would include in my resume, if I were you, that could easily translate into a non-retail position:

1. Analytical thinking, planning. 2. Strong verbal and personal communication skills. 3. Accuracy and Attention to details. 4. Organization and prioritization skills. 5. Problem analysis, use of judgment and ability to solve problems quickly and efficiently. 6. Independent thinking. 7. Coaching and teaching skills. 8. Ability to lead large teams. 9. Asset protection and establishing safe work environment.

Always, ALWAYS read the future company's job description, and then "wordsmith"/reword your experience to FIT that position. It should get your foot in the door for an interview.

Good luck !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back