Archived Throwing Away Food

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm flow/inbound but often see cart fulls of outdate food (meat, fruit, cheese, yogurt, etc) being dumped into the compactor or sitting just outside it as the door is locked. Very rarely will a package or two of cookies or other baked good end up in the break room for the team to eat.

Isn't there anything else that can be done w this food that is just at it's sell by date but still perfectly fine? Let the team take it home maybe?

To market team members how do you deal with throwing out this much food every day?

I'm flow/inbound but often see cart fulls of outdate food (meat, fruit, cheese, yogurt, etc) being dumped into the compactor or sitting just outside it as the door is locked. Very rarely will a package or two of cookies or other baked good end up in the break room for the team to eat.

Isn't there anything else that can be done w this food that is just at it's sell by date but still perfectly fine? Let the team take it home maybe?

To market team members how do you deal with throwing out this much food every day?

Why aren't you donating? 🤨

donations are my friend.
2 carts of donations every day.
we put the bakery goods in the break room about 3 times a week.
Broken cases of water go in the break room.

donations are my friend.
2 carts of donations every day.
we put the bakery goods in the break room about 3 times a week.
Broken cases of water go in the break room.

That doesn't fly in my store. We have a pallet twice a week 😮

Why aren't you donating? 🤨

I don't work in market and only see food setting in front of the compactor. I have no idea what is donated or how that process even works. I'm just wondering why they can't put everything into the break room for the team instead of just throwing it away. What harm is there with putting 5 Bunches of bananas that are starting to brown in the break room instead of the dumpster?

ASANTS, we have splotchy bananas in our breakroom all the time. My store doesn't give a shit if people eat QMOS food as long as it was QMOSed by the market TL (in fact he QMOSed some sandwiches today and gave me one)

I don't work in market and only see food setting in front of the compactor. I have no idea what is donated or how that process even works. I'm just wondering why they can't put everything into the break room for the team instead of just throwing it away. What harm is there with putting 5 Bunches of bananas that are starting to brown in the break room instead of the dumpster?

My store isn't allowed to give TMS out of date food. It sucks but gotta go by the STL.

Scoring leadership-approved free food is always lit but I can understand why some stores don't like to allow it. Oh whoops this delicious looking item somehow acquired a very large ragged hole somewhere between the shelf and the breakroom!

Liability for out date food. Donations takes the liability off of Target.

I had fellow FATMs who were disciplined for putting out of date baked Otis cookies in the breakroom.

People hoard food if they are allowed to have it outdate.

Some of the donation places are very strict. For example, mine will only take meat products the date on the package. Any older and it goes in the dumpster. Dry they will take forever. Dairy has to be within 3 days.

There's also a 0.000001% chance that the food could be low key spoiled and have some Botulinum spores lurking in it, and then BAM somebody's kid ends up with kidney failure and Target gets sued for a gorillion dollars

I don't know about donations being made by my store. But some food items are put in the break room at my store, like raisin bread, apples, bananas, and donuts or cupcakes....and cases of bottled water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back