Tips on not sounding like an idiot over walkie?

Wondering if anyone has any good responses to the dreaded "how's it going?" call from the LOD. I work on the front end so my response would be a bit different than someone on the sales floor. I have horrible social anxiety and hate talking on the walkie so I usually panic and say something stupid😅. But I'm working on moving up to GSTL so I feel like I'm being picked on a little more and expected to answer like a leader that has my life together. What specific things are they looking for when they ask that?

Something simple like, "Good, I have Jimmy on drive up, Bob comes in at 11 for carts. I might need help collecting more if we run out before that."

Our front end never gets asked this question. Only time I hear this question is when it's a TM that needs a fire lit under their ass all the time to speed up working. It's code for, "You're working too slow and this is your reminder to stay on task."

*Not saying this is true of all stores.* ASANTS
It's *usually* just a precursor to her asking us to send people to help with reshop if it's slow (I usually work closing shifts). Or she will come up to the front and ask, and I honestly don't know what to say besides we are doing literally the same exact things we do every single night.

They're probably looking for a check-in/status report sort of thing. isthatathing has it right. Here's what we're doing, here's how things are looking, any big hiccups they should know about (a bad guest experience, or something coming up you think you'll need help with, like coverage). It's also probably not so much the actual answer they're looking for, but if you have the answer, because that means you're paying attention and being proactive.

It's *usually* just a precursor to her asking us to send people to help with reshop if it's slow (I usually work closing shifts). Or she will come up to the front and ask, and I honestly don't know what to say besides we are doing literally the same exact things we do every single night.

Try anticipating what she wants. If she usually wants someone to do some reshop and it is slow, tell her things are under control and you can send someone to work reshop if she needs it.

The only time I ever hear this is for our sales floor people and it's typically just a quick check-in. They'll ask "Hey Suzy, how are things going?" Suzy responds with "Good" and they'll say "OK thanks for the update." And that's that. 🙂 So, it's usually just a quick 5 second interaction, nothing to stress out about.

Make sure to start every conversation with "Breaker Breaker 9" and close out with "Over and out."
Noooooooooo. Over and out should not be used together. Over is to signal your statement is done so the other person can reply, out signals the conversation is done.

Just like say again and repeat. Say again if you need to hear the statement again. Say repeat *only* if you are wanting another barrage of artillery fire. Don't say repeat unless you want the backroom destroyed by shelling, it is the wrong thing to say on a radio.

Just a status check, nothing to stress about. When we're doing ad set, the TL will make a round of walkie calls, just to see who needs help to finish up. No biggie. @isthatathing suggests a great response. And @Hardlinesmaster is right about pausing after pushing the button before speaking; we have a TM who's constantly saying over the walkie that a department has a call on line whatever, except no one knows who the call is for because he starts speaking too soon.

Noooooooooo. Over and out should not be used together. Over is to signal your statement is done so the other person can reply, out signals the conversation is done.

Just like say again and repeat. Say again if you need to hear the statement again. Say repeat *only* if you are wanting another barrage of artillery fire. Don't say repeat unless you want the backroom destroyed by shelling, it is the wrong thing to say on a radio.

I like how we're all okay with starting each transmission with "Breaker Breaker 9"

Last edited:
Back