Archived TL interview tomorrow - nervous

Status
Not open for further replies.

LUR99

GSTL
So I am getting interviewed tomorrow to be placed on the Bench. Because I am a HRTM, I have the interview guides and read through them. I have my answers selected but I am still super nervous even though my interview will be done at my store. Any advise on the interviews? Are there any other questions that might be asked besides the ones in the interview guides?

So I am getting interviewed tomorrow to be placed on the Bench. Because I am a HRTM, I have the interview guides and read through them. I have my answers selected but I am still super nervous even though my interview will be done at my store. Any advise on the interviews? Are there any other questions that might be asked besides the ones in the interview guides?

One of the questions that wasn't in the guide was "how do you motivate your team?"

If the interview will be done at your store, but by a leader from another store, have a short intro about yourself ready. I would ask you how you would use your HR experience in a TL role.

Very deserving for you. Good luck! Hrtm from my old store promoted to hltl and stl in about a year. As an hrtm your leaders probably already respect you and your ability to see the team holistically.

You should be fine. Yes use Target vocabulary as @HRLady said. Don't forget to show yourself in the interview as well as some people can tend to be "robotic". You can smile. They are human too. Be alert, relax and do what you have prepped so hard for. Good luck.

Thanks guys! Interview will be done later in the day by an ETL and STL from my store. I know all our ETLs and STL well but I am still nervous lol. I brushed up on my Target vocabulary and the HRTM position has really helped me develop especially because I was without an HR ETL for so long. I finally got a SR HR TL last week, I am so used to doing everything HR related and it's an adjustment for me to have his help lol. I am really exited and hope to be offered a TL position in the near future :).

Body language tip: lean into them rather than sitting back in your chair, hands folded in lap not crossed at chest. Eye contact, smiling, face relaxed not RBF. A small pause before answering can show thoughtfulness.

I think it went well, what surprised a little is that I was asked if I was interested in the APTL position if we had an opening . I am not sure if I can see myself in that role but of course I stayed positive and said I would be.

I think it went well, what surprised a little is that I was asked if I was interested in the APTL position if we had an opening . I am not sure if I can see myself in that role but of course I stayed positive and said I would be.

Haha reminds me of those ULV stores where the etl hr is also the etl ap.

one of the biggest things i took away from interview prep is scope and calmness. i was prepping with friends. if i couldn't impress them, i can't impress a district tl.

there was an old question that asked you were stopped by a mom/kid and asked where the birthday candles are. they didn't want to say its on whatever aisle. they wanted to see you understood this was a selling point. walk them over. talk to them about the party. have a conversation with the kid. upsell them. know why each point is important. real prize is making the kids memories of target good, so they will be target shoppers when they grow up.

Nice! Here is a tip: the Leaders that I spoke with in the past said that their mentors told them to use Target vocabulary during the interviews.
Hi! I'm taking my interviews tomorrow. Can you help me with what kinds of Target vocabulary I should keep in mind as key words? I work in the front end as a GSA. Terms I'm thinking are educating our guests about our loyalty programs like red cards, cartwheel, subscription discounts, gift now for xmas, gs is a hotel lobby, building baskets with enticing end caps filled with impulse buys, product, bullseye. Can you add any I might be missing?

Hi! I'm taking my interviews tomorrow. Can you help me with what kinds of Target vocabulary I should keep in mind as key words? I work in the front end as a GSA. Terms I'm thinking are educating our guests about our loyalty programs like red cards, cartwheel, subscription discounts, gift now for xmas, gs is a hotel lobby, building baskets with enticing end caps filled with impulse buys, product, bullseye. Can you add any I might be missing?

Hi! I mostly backup cashier so I am not as familiar with some of these as you would be as a GS expert.

I would say don't stress out over not using enough GS vocabulary. Definitely use them but know that the regular non-GS-specific Target vocab also count as key words as well.

The vocabulary is really just "retail speak." Everyone does it on a daily basis at the store. Words like: Team Members, Team Leaders, Executive Team Leaders, Store Team Leader, Guests, Apparel and Accessories, pushing, zoning, reshops, etc. Phrases like "driving sales," "reached goals," "educate," "team," "partner with," "metrics," "save 5%," "I would like to recognize this TM for____," "honoring the price," etc. Saying any Target-y lingo counts as a key word as long as you make sure you use the correct Target terms/phrases relevant to answering the question. For example, say "Guests" instead of "customers" when answering a question about service.

Relax and focus on answering the questions in a way that shows them you got the qualities and skills to lead. Be confident in your answers. Use the STAR method of answering questions.

Last edited:
Hi! I mostly backup cashier so I am not as familiar with some of these as you would be as a GS expert.

I would say don't stress out over not using enough GS vocabulary. Definitely use them but know that the regular non-GS-specific Target vocab also count as key words as well.

The vocabulary is really just "retail speak." Everyone does it on a daily basis at the store. Words like: Team Members, Team Leaders, Executive Team Leaders, Store Team Leader, Guests, Apparel and Accessories, pushing, zoning, reshops, etc. Phrases like "driving sales," "reached goals," "educate," "team," "partner with," "metrics," "save 5%," "I would like to recognize this TM for____," "honoring the price," etc. Saying any Target-y lingo counts as a key word as long as you make sure you use the correct Target terms/phrases relevant to answering the question. For example, say "Guests" instead of "customers" when answering a question about service.

Relax and focus on answering the questions in a way that shows them you got the qualities and skills to lead. Be confident in your answers. Use the STAR method of answering questions.
you're the best. You made it sound like it's very doable!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back