Archived TL Rules for Outside work relations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcePeasant

Flock Leader
Curious, I know the no fraternizing in the same workcenter rules, I've heard from other TLs that there's a no hanging out with TMs, but what about TL and other workcenters, including TPS. Can they hang out together? Is there a set rule or is it ASANTS? I know my store is not like any I've been to.

Store to store I would say. My store isn't as worried about who hangs out with who. Only thing they watch for are more of relationships. TM with TM is okay (preferred outside your work center), but not TL and TM and so on.

ASANTS. My TLs hang out with TMs but we keep it in the down low (some ETLs are cool with it, some don't). We just don't talk about it at work outside our workcenters.

ASANTS. My TLs hang out with TMs but we keep it in the down low (some ETLs are cool with it, some don't). We just don't talk about it at work outside our workcenters.

Agreed, some of our TLs hang out with TMs and our TPS hangs out with a lot of people outside of work.

Be smart about it, do it but don't post about it on social media or anything like that. I don't blast my personal life out there for my store to stalk me.

I had a TL demoted for hanging out with TMs, not in his area, and buying them drinks.

My old store would overlook it if TL/TM friendships/relationships were kept on the down (down down down) low, but my current store has a TL that started dating and moved in with one of their TMs before anyone even found out they were together, and all that happened was the TM got moved to a different workcenter and now we have to listen to their TMI discussions about each other right there in TSC. :oops::rolleyes:

I know of one TL who was one of the favorite TL's in the district, but still got written up and nearly demoted because she went out to a bar with a bunch of friends one night and one of those friends was a team member at her store. So at least some stores have a major problem with that.

When I was a TPS I was always friendly with the whole team but generally politely declined to hang out outside of work simply so I couldn't be accused of any conflicts of interest. My ETL always let me in on the details of internal investigations so I figured it wasn't wise to hang out with TM's in case one of them was being investigated. I learned that the hard way when I became friends with one team member my first few months in store and it turned out that she was stealing thousands from the store over time. Then I heard about another TPS who was forced to transfer to a differently position because an ETL saw him hanging out with a female TL outside of work, so I just avoided the whole minefield. I did hang out with our ETLs very occasionally as well as TMs from other stores, but that was about the extent of it.

Also hooked up with a new ETL from a store that I was covering once (I've told that story before). Long story short, I do not recommend, it can get both of you fired, it was fun but I would not do it again. There are plenty of attractive people in the world that you can hook up with without risking your job. I know that wasn't the question but I thought I'd throw that little tidbit in there if anyone was wondering.

Instocks guy and VMTM are dating. It's not downlow but not obvious. Nobody cares

Our TPS has a roommate in the store. Seems kind of conflicting to me. There's a reason TPS and HR aren't allowed to date anyone.

I've never heard anything about that regarding friendships at my store. The only thing they discourage is romantic relationships between two people where one is a leader over the other (or TPS). I don't think my store would have a serious issue with a TL dating a TM as long as that TL isn't a senior and the TM isn't in that TL's workcenter.

I hang out with some TMs who I have risen up the ranks with from time to time.

Is there a written rule that AP/HR can't hang with people outside the store? Because I've done it several times.

When I was a TPS I hung out with TMs and TLs outside of work. When I was promoted to APS my ETL took me out to dinner, but I was transferring stores so I guess it wasn't a big deal at the time. As APS I still regularly hang out with people at my current and old store, from TMs to ETLs. However I still have a job to do and I continue to watch those people while at work like I would anyone else.

In my district none of this seems to be a problem. But I also don't go around telling everyone either.

Is there a written rule that AP/HR can't hang with people outside the store? Because I've done it several times.

When I was a TPS I hung out with TMs and TLs outside of work. When I was promoted to APS my ETL took me out to dinner, but I was transferring stores so I guess it wasn't a big deal at the time. As APS I still regularly hang out with people at my current and old store, from TMs to ETLs. However I still have a job to do and I continue to watch those people while at work like I would anyone else.

In my district none of this seems to be a problem. But I also don't go around telling everyone either.
It's in the handbook. I believe it specifically mentions Leader and AP may not have relationships with people within the same store.
But it's just Target, so fuck that lol. It's not like I'm making $56,000 working there.

You want to dictate what I do off the clock, then pay me for that time.

Years ago my store had an stl who would go out drinking with the younger tms. They ( him and the tms) would also come into work hung over. The stl also made sure his little drinking buddies got all the hours they wanted. Then one day...the stl was canned, Needless to say his drinking buddies didn't last long after that .

It's in the handbook. I believe it specifically mentions Leader and AP may not have relationships with people within the same store.
But it's just Target, so fuck that lol. It's not like I'm making $56,000 working there.

You want to dictate what I do off the clock, then pay me for that time.
I haven't read the handbook since I was a seasonal TM years ago. Oh well.

At one time AP was completely separate from store operations. Now not so much. So I guess it made more sense at one time.

I think it's time to bring this back.

The Dating Guide!

I was weirdly bored today and see so many questions on this board (and in my own store actually...) about what is allowed and who can date who. Disclaimer though...anything is technically possible depending on who you know and what HR will allow pending investigation. However most of it is pretty black and white.

If you are a.....

Team Member - Non AP/HR/GSA/Perishables Asst

Completely Okay! Go For It!

• Dating another non AP/HR/GSA/Perishables Asst Team Member
  • Dating any TM/TL/ETL at another store
  • Dating a TL at your store that is not your direct supervisor - i.e. Cashier dating Logistics TL
  • Dating contract TMs such as Beauty Concierge or Target Mobile
Slight Conflict of Interest - Proceed With Caution Depending on Store:
  • Dating a GSA/Perishables Asst - No conflict of interest if you do not work in the same workcenter. Cashiers dating GSAs and PFresh TMs dating PAs is a slight conflict of interest depending on the authority your store gives to these positions. In my store for example, GSAs are only high potential TLs and would not be allowed.
  • Dating a Senior TL - most stores won't allow because the Senior TL may be LOD at any moment's notice, and anyone who is an LOD cannot date TMs. However your store may be open to it if you do not report directly to the TL
Not Allowed - Stay Away:
  • Dating anyone from AP/HR - Not allowed. AP could allow you to get away with too much from an investigation and shortage perspective, and the HR team could give you unfair favors in scheduling, change your punches, and other factors
  • Dating your direct TL supervisor - not allowed due to the nature of the reporting relationship. Huge conflict of interest.
  • Dating ANY ETL regardless of position or your STL - not allowed due to the fact that the LOD is the highest authority in the building and even ETLs that you do not report to are able to influence your position (merit scores, contribution meetings, etc.). STL is pretty self explanatory.
Team Leader - Non Senior, Including SFT

• Dating a TM that is not your direct report (i.e. Sales Floor TL dating cashier)
  • Dating a TL peer outside of your department (i.e. GSTL dating Presentation TL)
  • Dating contract TMs such as Beauty Concierge or Target Mobile
  • Dating a Senior TL - most stores won't allow because the Senior TL may be LOD at any moment's notice, and the LOD will have to give direction to the TL which can cause conflict of interest. Although again, some stores will allow based on review
  • Dating a TL peer in your department (i.e. two Logistics TLs dating is pretty much not allowed due to the fact your working relationship is easily affected). I have seen stores where this is allowed but it is VERY rare.
Not Allowed - Stay Away:
  • Dating anyone from AP/HR - Not allowed. AP could allow you to get away with too much from an investigation and shortage perspective, and the HR team could give you unfair favors in scheduling, change your punches, and other factors
  • Dating your direct report - GSTL dating cashier or GSA, Sales Floor TL dating Hardlines TM...pretty self explanatory. So much potential for disaster.
  • Dating ANY ETL regardless of position or your STL - not allowed due to the fact that the LOD is the highest authority in the building and even ETLs that you do not report to are able to influence your position (merit scores, contribution meetings, etc.). STL is pretty self explanatory.
Executive Team Leader - non HR/AP, Senior TL

• Dating a ETL peer - I have heard of many stories with two ETLs dating or being married but it is still iffy. It is too easy for there to be conflicts of interest during ETL meetings or a bad working relationship depending on their relationship. This would still to me be a big no-no in my district--one ETL has always had to transfer to another store.
Not Allowed - Stay Away:
  • Dating anyone in the store! As an LOD you are in charge of the whole store and thus all TMs directly report to you during that time. Plus ETLs and even SrTLs have access to modify timesheets, scheduling, AP camera room, and soooo much more. Do. Not. Do. It.
  • Dating your STL - umm....duh.
All HR/AP Team Members, Store Team Leader

• STL dating another STL in the same district - I have not first hand seen this happen, but this relationship could affect things such as promotions and transfers between different stores. Now this is easily worked around, but not black and white. Depends on your DTL but most likely would be okay pending investigation.
  • STL dating a business partner or equivalent - Possible. But it is a huge conflict of interest in some positions such as STL dating HRBP or Group Merchandising Leader during assessments or visits. Don't even get me started on STL dating HRBP in context of hotline calls!
Not Allowed - Stay Away:
  • Dating anyone in the store! As a TM in these positions you have so many ways to give favoritism or unfair treatment that it would take forever to type them out.
  • STL dating a DTL, GTL, etc. - No. No. No. At that level you could probably move mountains at Target and get away with bloody murder.

basics are you never want to get put in the position you got favors for being a friend. more hours/better shifts cause they like you. or ap, they don't investigate you/look into your flags.

if you're not in that position its a grey area. target will prefer you don't but won't prohibit it.

Curious, I know the no fraternizing in the same workcenter rules, I've heard from other TLs that there's a no hanging out with TMs, but what about TL and other workcenters, including TPS. Can they hang out together? Is there a set rule or is it ASANTS? I know my store is not like any I've been to.
TLs can hang out with TMs. TLs can date TMs that don't directly report to them. There are several examples of both of those at my store, and nobody has a problem with it.

TLs can hang out with TMs. TLs can date TMs that don't directly report to them. There are several examples of both of those at my store, and nobody has a problem with it.

Bingo we have a TL engaged to a TM.

The handbook does not say AP/HR cannot have a relationship (friendship) outside of work. It says AP and HR are not allowed to date anyone in the store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back