Archived TL says I’m taking too much time zoning

Status
Not open for further replies.

checklane01

ap gang ;)
So it’s my 3rd day in a new workcenter (consumables). I’ve been at Target and on the salesfloor before, just it’s at a different store now.

I get in, look at the break out, work my 2 u-boats of freight, then backstock the remaining, all in an hour and a half. I do a light zone of the aisle, then go on my break. I come back do scans of my aisle, go pick those items, backstock, repeat. I then do a really good zone cause it was looking rough and my TL didn’t ask me to do anything else. When I’m getting ready to leave, I see him in the backroom and tell him I’m heading out. He said “Nice job today, zone looks great but maybe a little bit too much time spent on the zone. Sometimes we’ll need you to help in other areas.”

I completely understand what he means but he didn’t ask me to help anywhere else and he knew I was just doing a good zone. Am I supposed to ask him what I should do? I feel like I’m consistently pestering him then. I understand he just wants me to become more efficient but if he needed help and asked I would’ve for sure helped, but I didn’t know.

He means he would have been happier if you had done an adiquate light zone and then jumped into another set of aisles that was heavier that day to help out.

Having a great zone is one thing but if other work is left undone then other work is left undone. You need to find a balance between adequately finishing enough that you get a pass, but then offering help to another area to ensure everyone finished that day.

Don't volunteer for other areas. We are all "owners" of our own workcenter now. So unless yours is 100% zoned, stocked, signed, and hit your daily sales goal, stay where you are.

Unless your area is like, all of domestics or all of home, you are likely not in an area that demands 7 hours of work. As a new person he may be put in a light that isn't supposed to take an entire shift. Throwing around %100 done is difficult, I can always always find something to do in an area while another area is a firestorm.

Unless your area is like, all of domestics or all of home, you are likely not in an area that demands 7 hours of work. As a new person he may be put in a light that isn't supposed to take an entire shift. Throwing around %100 done is difficult, I can always always find something to do in an area while another area is a firestorm.
I work Consumables, I own 2 aisles. I commonly work 5.5 hour shifts. My ETL says we own our aisles and we are responsible for them to look nice. If help is needed in a different area I should be asked to help, I shouldn’t have to walk around and ask every TM if they need help. If my TL wants work done in a certain way he should tell me right then, instead of letting me do it and telling me later he wants it done differently.

Also all of my work was done. I worked all my freight and did scans. It’s not like I zoned rather than working freight, I zoned cause there wasn’t anything else asked of me. I was trying to stay busy.

It's your third day and already you are set in your expectations? For now he was simply making suggestions. However the reason you have some people that work 4 hour shifts and some people work 7 hour shifts is some people don't wait for their team lead to react. Many times your team lead won't even be there. The more you can be autonomous the more you can be relied on and be put in bigger roles.

I am not familiar with our markets newer breakup, I'll have to ask them and see if they are in charge of 2 or more aisles. I can see some like baking be a chore, but some aisles are low volume and they are simply starting you out easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back