TL Transfer question - Small Format to High Volume chain store.

MrGSTLman

FBTL
Hey all - a bit to unpack here so here goes. I’m being transferred to a high volume PFresh store as their FBTL after doing the same role in a small format store for the last two(ish) years. It’s a lateral move but much bigger team (the position was offered to me by my DSD).

She wants to send me out to another store to train for a few days and I want to be sure I will get something out of it (i.e. what should I look for in a chain store market area vs. small format, that kind of thing). I’m already well-versed in F&B, and operate green metrics in my current store so there isn’t much I don’t already know from a standards perspective, and I don’t want to go there and end up being a body that can help work freight (for the record I have no issue with helping I just want my time to be value-added).

Again I know a lot to unpack but figured I’d throw it out to the crowd.

Goodluck. Don't have much advice to give as it's such a broad question with too many variables and I don't have too much experience with small formats to give an informed answer on the differences. I was a food and beverage tm for 3 years and did a brief stint as a f+b tl during the pandemic. 2 years experience in your current position should carry over a bunch of knowledge. I guess I'd just focus on the differences a few days isn't a lot of time. If you want feedback on more specifics after I'd be happy to help if I can.

A lot of UHV and Supers have a lot more market departments than normal stores. Ex. Bakery, Deli, Cake Decorating, etc. You may be needing to learn things about those departments

A lot of UHV and Supers have a lot more market departments than normal stores. Ex. Bakery, Deli, Cake Decorating, etc. You may be needing to learn things about those departments
Store doesn’t have any of those thankfully. Bakery is the frozen to fresh, and all deli is pre-packaged. Truth be told the store I’m going to I left four years ago to move to my current store so I know a little bit but it’s more how small format and chain differs when it comes to F&B.

Back