Archived TLs scheduling themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flabbergasted

Ex-GSA
Do TLs schedule themselves at your store? We have a GSTL who writes her own schedule as well as the GSA's and usually gives herself a schedule that is extremely beneficial for herself and not so beneficial for the GSA. For example, she always gives herself two days off in a row and she only works the opening GSTL shift, never closing. I think the last time I saw her close was several months ago. Every other week, she'll take advantage of her "rotating weekends off" and give herself both Saturday and Sunday off, but the GSA has never had a weekend off.

This week she apparently made a deal with the FATL to switch workcenters for a few days so she could "take a break" from the front-end, and the FATL will be GSTL for those days. Apparently upper leadership has no issues with this, even though the FATL is not GSTL trained, because "TLs are global." Sounds like nonsense to me but whatever.

That's not right. As the person in charge of overseeing the entire schedule, I will delegate certain workcenters to the TLs who want to have control over their team's schedules, but I will always make their own schedules to avoid favoritism. Your GSA's should take it up with the ETL-HR.

We have some Tms who do that along with Tls...they just write down what they want to work on a sticky note and put it on the hr/tms desk. I don't see how that is right at all

All the TLs in my store work the same shifts/days during the week and rotate weekends, barring special circumstances (like our SrTL working overnight with me during Q4 to prep for Black Friday). So we write ourselves into the schedules, but it's always the same.

During my front end tenure, there was a GSTL who did that until the ETL-GE got wind of it.
Several of us GSAs kept the old schedules & showed the ETL a pattern of abuse so she took over the GSA/GSTL schedules.

Generally the TL schedule is set, so really we can usually input our own schedule because it has already been set by the STL or our ETL. I do my own GSTL schedule, but I also give me GSAs a set rotating weekends and one set closing night a week on top of my set schedule.

I write my own schedule but TL's should be on a set schedule so there isn't a way for me to give myself "better" shifts. In fact, I'm usually the one changing my schedule to work my day off or cover shifts that need to be covered. For about 6 months I was closing 3 nights a week plus my weekend close.

OP, I think you're under the mistaken impression that every single employee at Target works a similar/equal schedule. TL's (which includes GSTL's) get rotating weekends off. It's one of the perks of being a full-time employee and a supervisor. GSA's are neither.

I respect our GSA's, they work their butts off. But it's just not the same thing.

Ehh, GSA's aren't TL's but I would certainly disagree that their position isn't to supervise. Many GSA's also indeed are fulltime.

GSA is not a full time position. Some GSAs work full time (and not guaranteed) hours. There's a huge difference.

Up until the middle of last summer, the GSTLs got scheduled really decent shifts...and the other two GSAs also got all of these weekends off, etc, etc. It got ridiculous to the point that without me even saying anything, they realized how badly I was getting screwed. Constantly. I didn't get a Saturday or Sunday off for five months while the other four got all the time off they could ever want. And without my requesting it, they told me they would give me every other weekend off guaranteed. It took them a few months to arrange it...and I'm always holding my breath for the next schedule to see if I still have it, but so far, so good.

They basically figure the pay is so lousy, the hours are so bad (who else has open availability but still has to close 4 nights a week?), and we're still expected to be "leaders in the building" so it's the least they can do to keep me from killing someone. Hahaha.

I make my own schedule, I will readily admit. But I am on a set schedule and do not usually edit mine when I edit the rest of my team's schedule (I am IS/BR where most of my hours come out of Instocks). If I NEED to edit my schedule to something different I ask my ETL before I do.

I know this is an old thread but it's a legit question. Is there a best practice that says TLs can't write their schedules?

If anything it makes more sense for TLs to write their own schedule, along with the rest of the department. They should know better than anyone how to schedule so that their department functions smoothly.

TLs should be trusted to schedule themselves based on the needs of the department. If they can't be trusted to do that and instead focus on giving themselves the best shifts, they probably shouldn't be a TL.

I write mine, but the LOD shifts are determined by the STL. That's about half of them. The sbux shifts I schedule myself as needed based on business needs and my team's requests off. I don't think any of the other TLs make theirs. I know of no Best Practice around this.

GSA is not a full time position. Some GSAs work full time (and not guaranteed) hours. There's a huge difference.
Do you write your own? All of the APTLs write their own schedules in my area wasn't sure if that was the case all over. Write your own as in decide yourself when you work

I wouldn't mind my TL scheduling herself in Instocks if she actually worked Instocks. We lose hours, but she spends those shifts in the backroom.

All the TLs write their own schedule at my store, and also write their teams schedules. We're on a rotating weekend schedule and the STL sets the LOD schedule each month. How I keep ending up closing LOD on holidays and 3 days a week, I'm not sure but I'll take it since hours are low for my team.

There are some TLs in my store that don't write their own schedule. HRTL writes the schedule for the front end now including the GSTL schedule, and I think the ETL-HL writes the schedule for his area and his TLs.

I was front end and the HRTM made the schedule. Each of the GSTL had a set schedule with rotating weekends. I have no idea who created their schedules tho. However, they were so set that that I knew which GSTL or GSA I would be working with based on the day of the week and the time of day I was scheduled. So, I knew what the vibe for the day would be before I even went to work.

I write my own schedule, but it's the same every week. I actually break it out for all the TLs so we are rotating.

Our SBTL gets everyone else's schedules set before adding theirs.

I'm just glad we can write the schedule. Lord knows HR or my ETL wouldn't know what days to schedule differently for new promotional sets, training implementation, visits with my SBDM etc. it would be a nightmare to have to fix the schedule constantly if the store did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back