Archived TM development to TL (Southern California)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so I have some questions on TL development. Some background on me: I've worked at target for about a year and 3 months. I've been in development since November of last year (about 5 months). I've learned almost every workcenter in the store including: reverse logistics, receiving, backroom, presentation, guest services, hardlines, softlines, flow, consumables, pricechange, signing, cashiering, electronics and I'm even about to be keyed as my stores PA. I've taken responsibility and covered heavy work weeks for our presentation TL and flow TL when they have gone on vacation. My main improvement on our store has been on our consumables flow process (we were never finishing trucks and I was asked to step in and get that process green). It only took about a couple of weeks to get that process running smoothly. My ETLs and TLs have all given me praise for the things I've done for our store. I've very clearly expressed my desire for opportunity, growth and development within the company. Here's where the questions start!

When is the best time for me to start pushing for interviews for a TL position?

It's unclear what to expect as fair compensation for a team leaders responsibilities. What is the low end/top end of the sort of hourly rate I can expect?

Is negotiating compensation at all possible for a new TL? I'm hoping to be making 15/hr+.

What's a realistic turnover for TMs to TLs?

Is pursuing being a TL worth it?

I do have some other career opportunities available and its these sorts of questions that have me trying to land on the best possible decision for myself. I do love working at Target but if compensation is too low, I'll have to pursue other avenues. If interviews and promotion aren't a realistic near future possibility, than I'd rather start playing my other cards now. I hope that all makes since! Any and all replies would be so greatly appreciated!

You might be on the tl bench. Check with your leadership. What is your tl headcount? Raises are usually a dollar to 2 dollars. You might need 7/24 availability as a tl. Keep the job search open.

Last edited:
Sometimes we've done interviews before (to have a TM signed off and on the bench). When I got promoted I was training for about 5-6 months before a position opened up and I applied/got the job offer. At my store it doesn't hurt to ask. We currently have 3 people we are training for TL positions in case someone leaves. :)

Best advice to you is, don't pursue a leadership position at target for the money. Leadership is stressful especially in logistics. You've got to have a genuine love for being fast paced, directing and developing growth of other individuals and yourself. Target is a company that loves to move you around to learn new things which I find to be wonderful. You've got to love the company to go anywhere. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back