Archived Tm to team lead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey so I am a hardlines team member and I really want to become a team lead. However, I was recently promoted to electronics. I've been working at target for a little under a year but it's clear from when I talked to my etl during my promotion and review that he has a lot of faith in me. From what I understand we are suppose to have an electronics team leader which we do not currently have (and have not had for a long time) how should I go about trying to get the position?

Make it clear to your ETL that you are interested in moving up.

First off, you definitely need to tell your ETL that you're interested.
  • Seek feedback often.
  • Ask for extra responsibilities.
  • Recognize an opportunity, either with yourself or within your store, and come up with ideas to turn them around. Mention the opportunities and ideas to your ETL.
  • Talk to the other TLs in your store. Don't kiss their ass, but let them know you're interested in moving into a leadership role and that you'd like some guidance or advice on doing so.
  • Target expects its leaders to embody Target's core values, "Fast, Fun, and Friendly". Do so. Greet everyone and show a genuine interest in how they're doing. Work fast and avoid cutting corners... Do things the right way. Keep your spirits up and help to raise the spirits of those you work with.
That last one is a little cheesy, but it is true.

You have to look at your store size & to head count. Don't assume that you will be the electronics TL. They could put you in other areas like softlines or Starbucks.

I'd also recommend being global or just overall showing that you are willing to learn more and more. I started in oct 2015 and am placed on the bench for TL with people who have been here for 6 years trying to move up. global + available = moving up.

Depending on the size of your store you may not have a true electronics TL. My old store just had a few sales floor team leads.

First step for you will be to get on the bench.

Depending on the size of your store you may not have a true electronics TL. My old store just had a few sales floor team leads.

First step for you will be to get on the bench.
What does it mean to get on the bench?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back