Archived To Softlines I go...

Status
Not open for further replies.

REDcardJJ

Team Leader
I keep getting thrown over to Softlines. That’s great, except I’ve been explicitly told that I’m not allowed to help the A&A team with any of their tasks. No zoning, no reshop, nothing. I think it’s causing some resentment towards me. I’m not really sure if there’s anything I can do about it though, because I would like to transfer out of the front end.

So what ARE you doing when you are in softlines? If this is going to be a regular thing, I would talk to your SL etl/tl about getting trained on reshop, zoning, truck, etc.

Selling stuff. Approaching guests and attempting to convince them to buy stuff they don’t really want, and saving the sale with MyCheckout.

I know HOW to do all of those things, but they literally want me spending all of my time selling stuff to people.

I think it’s a silly concept and a waste of time when there’s carts full of reshop at the fitting room and Ready to Wear looks like a war zone...

Interesting. Just walking around trying to sell stuff is not the way we do things at my store. Everybody has to do something while engaging with guests when possible. I would definitely ask for more training, since there won't always be guests to interact with.

I don't understand Target's strategy with focusing TMs to up sell. First the FR becomes a selling station (which hasn't had success in my store), now this post.

As a SL TM, I answer a bunch of questions and always ask guests if they need help, but I don't stalk them. Frankly, stalking isn't what I was hired to do. And, at least in my store, my TL and management judges my performance based upon other factors like the mess of my zone, re-shop, and have I pushed product to the shelves, especially in babies/infants where diapers and food fly off the shelves. Currently my management isn't measuring or even knowing how much more product is being sold because of my efforts on the floor.

Frankly, if my check reflected a commission from sales like other high-end stores, I'd be happy to stalk guests. I know folks who work at a nationally known chain that begins with "N" who make $80-100k annually. All they do is sell because that is their job. If Target wants this model, then they need to hire "sales" people for various departments who are compensated for their sales. Of course, that model doesn't really work well with lines of cashiers for most of the store.

And, of course, Q4 is just the perfect time to roll out a new sales model, especially with seasonal workers..........

Yeah I also agree Targets plan for selling is fairly lame. Let's cut the pay for several positions (signing, hr, log, pricing, plano), give apparel and beauty 50 cents (not much for selling) with no true way to judge the impact of tms focused on selling besides comps which don't take into account many other factors.

Ironically we are hiring more and more people who are good at guest service but awful at finishing task. Hence the out of control apparel backstock, several outs in beauty.

I used to work for another retailer before coming to Target. They had a dollar incentive for every credit card that that an associate was able to open with a customer. I thought that that was kind of lame at the time since a dollar wasn't very much. However, Target's system is even worse because Team Members get nothing for opening REDcards with Guests. In addition, Target also doesn't provide Team Members with any commission for selling things on the sales floor like other retailers. I feel like Target needs to start motivating and rewarding Team Members using proper incentives if they want selling to be the focus.

Last edited:
My store calls it "active selling." All of the retailers that I've worked for pay commission for that.

Team Members get nothing for opening REDcards with Guests.
Are you kidding?

RECOGNITION!!!

recognition_greatjob_870x330.png

My store calls it "active selling." All of the retailers that I've worked for pay commission for that.

Yep. To make things even worse, I'm doing all of this active selling for a cashier's hourly rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back