Archived Tracking devices on carts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else have someone come in and install devices on their shopping carts? I've asked my PML, SEL, and SD, no one claims any knowledge of what or why there are little red plastic rectangles zip tied to the front of our carts. A TM says someone installed them over the weekend, but they didn't think to question the vendor attaching them. My counterpart over the weekend didn't notice anything.

Anyone else have someone come in and install devices on their shopping carts? I've asked my PML, SEL, and SD, no one claims any knowledge of what or why there are little red plastic rectangles zip tied to the front of our carts. A TM says someone installed them over the weekend, but they didn't think to question the vendor attaching them. My counterpart over the weekend didn't notice anything.
No, but if they did I’m sure an ETL would ask them to just fill up the front of the store while they are at it since we seldom have a cart attendant.

I think it’s this.
A big grocery store near me that I used to work at has rfid carts that they use to track the movement of customers throughout the store. They use that data to position shippers in certain areas and see where most people travel throughout a store. Obviously there’s way more they use it for but I don’t know all the details

Yep we got these recently and the people that installed them were very mean :(

Thanks for the article! I'd rad an interesting read. I think it must be more about tracking foot traffic in our store since no one really steals our carts. I wonder how they'll interpret the carts people abandon around the store or leave at the side of self checkout...

A big grocery store near me that I used to work at has rfid carts that they use to track the movement of customers throughout the store. They use that data to position shippers in certain areas and see where most people travel throughout a store. Obviously there’s way more they use it for but I don’t know all the details

On that same vein, Kroger stores are apparently going to have interactive displays. However, those are supposed to work off of their app.

Guess it's time to skip taking a cart and fill my own bags while I shop. I know using these carts will not be tied to me personally, but I still find in intrusive and don't want to be a lab rat!

Huh maybe this is why they are so dead set on us not using carts for tasks. I have to use them all the time though as there are no empty vehicles in my store until 10-11 am

I’ve only seen them at full remodel stores where the salesfloor layout was changed. Those stores are not comping for the most part.

And here we have a much cheaper way of tracking that: based on how trashed the zones get.

I could see Spot trying to use this to force guest engagement. The system senses a cart is stopped for a certain amount of time in an area. An alert goes off on the myDevice to go find that cart and see if the guest needs help to find an item. TM gets there and discovers an abandoned cart, or two Karens chatting about their evil spawns in the middle of the aisle.

I could see Spot trying to use this to force guest engagement. The system senses a cart is stopped for a certain amount of time in an area. An alert goes off on the myDevice to go find that cart and see if the guest needs help to find an item. TM gets there and discovers an abandoned cart, or two Karens chatting about their evil spawns in the middle of the aisle.
Accurate.

If it would actually force TMs to bring up abandoned carts in their areas instead of pretending they don't see them, that part at least would be nice.

I’ve only seen them at full remodel stores where the salesfloor layout was changed. Those stores are not comping for the most part.
We've had our store remodelled for over a year and regular guests still come in can complain they can't find anything.

As a GSTL told me once, "You gotta train the guests."

On that same vein, Kroger stores are apparently going to have interactive displays. However, those are supposed to work off of their app.

Guess it's time to skip taking a cart and fill my own bags while I shop. I know using these carts will not be tied to me personally, but I still find in intrusive and don't want to be a lab rat!

that ship has sailed. retailers, Target included, are tracking you just by you entering the building

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back