Archived Training Schedules for NTMs

How many hours should new TMs get during their first 2 weeks?

• 10-15

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • 16-20

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • 21-25

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • 26-30

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • 31-40

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LearningTree

Guest Experience
When you guys first started at Target, were you scheduled to your max hours or did HR go easy on you? Which would you have preferred? My store's been onboarding many new TMs recently and I'm in charge of writing their first 2 weeks. When I was hourly I wanted my employer to schedule me for full hours/full shifts right away. I needed the hours right away and I felt that was the best way to learn things quickly. The HR team at my store is under the impression that would burn out the new TMs. They'll try to go back and slash their hours from 30-40 hours down to 15-20 hours.

For the most part I make their first shift after orientation 6 hours and then the rest of their shifts 8 hours. I also don't schedule them to work that first weekend. There's no time for training and I figure they'll be more comfortable working a weekend solo after they've worked nearly 2 weeks of weekdays only.

What are your thoughts and opinions?

When you guys first started at Target, were you scheduled to your max hours or did HR go easy on you? Which would you have preferred? My store's been onboarding many new TMs recently and I'm in charge of writing their first 2 weeks. When I was hourly I wanted my employer to schedule me for full hours/full shifts right away. I needed the hours right away and I felt that was the best way to learn things quickly. The HR team at my store is under the impression that would burn out the new TMs. They'll try to go back and slash their hours from 30-40 hours down to 15-20 hours.

For the most part I make their first shift after orientation 6 hours and then the rest of their shifts 8 hours. I also don't schedule them to work that first weekend. There's no time for training and I figure they'll be more comfortable working a weekend solo after they've worked nearly 2 weeks of weekdays only.

What are your thoughts and opinions?

When I started they wanted to go easy on people so they scheduled lightly. I think the modernization process pretty much threw that out the window. I'd I schedule them as much as their availability and the hours you have. I'm assuming you ask the new TM to make sure they can work those hours so you'd catch it if they didn't want to work that much

When I started they wanted to go easy on people so they scheduled lightly. I think the modernization process pretty much threw that out the window. I'd I schedule them as much as their availability and the hours you have. I'm assuming you ask the new TM to make sure they can work those hours so you'd catch it if they didn't want to work that much

I schedule them based on what they've stated in the interview. If they say they can only do 20 hours, I won't give them more than that. HR also confirms the schedules with them during Orientation before putting them in the system. I understand some may still be finishing up at their previous jobs or may have some things planned, so I'm flexible with the training.

I feel like easing them into it is probably good, with the way Spot does "training" it can be really overwhelming for new TMs.

I feel they should be scheduled to their availability. It also depends what they are doing. Flow tms are always scheduled every scheduled truck day. I started as a seasonal in the month of October. I was being asked to stay on my second day and I didn't know what to say. Back then, 7 years ago, as a flow tm, I had the same trainer for a week. I worked the line then went to softlines. Other days I pushed market or pet Chem. The more you are scheduled the quicker you will pick it up. I wouldn't want only 4 or 5 hours 3 or 4 times a week.

I schedule mine 10 to 15 a week for the first 2 weeks. Most of our TMs work less than 20 anyways (college town, weird availabilities, and we schedule 5.5 hour shifts as much as possible).

I want them trained but I also don't want to overwhelm the trainers. Their first shift is 4 hours. They complete their computer training and learn the registers. Their training shifts are all 4 hours so their trainer can get ready becore they arrive and have time to clean up after they leave.

Flow tms just work truck from day 2. Lots of trainers and if you need special help you aren't gonna work out.

Sbux get a ton of training. I think 44 hours or something to meet the sbux contract.

I tell everyone during the hiring process that we schedule 15 to 20, but that if they pay attention to the swap board they can get 35+ a week easily, and that if they want to pick up a workcenter they don't know I will happily give them a training shift and they can pick it up (except sbux).

I love cross trained people, not for scheduling but to pick up shifts. I try to cross train as many as possible on register and SFS for the holidays. They have to express interest but I am super flexible so long as you aren't an attemdance problem.

I schedule weekends--start as you mean to go on. Orientation is followed by cashier training at my store. First training shift has their computer training, followed by their department training (except flow, which does computer training after truck). After that, it depends on the department they are in, but they are usually scheduled for the same number of hours in their first two weeks as they will be going forward.

I schedule mine 10 to 15 a week for the first 2 weeks. Most of our TMs work less than 20 anyways (college town, weird availabilities, and we schedule 5.5 hour shifts as much as possible).

I want them trained but I also don't want to overwhelm the trainers. Their first shift is 4 hours. They complete their computer training and learn the registers. Their training shifts are all 4 hours so their trainer can get ready becore they arrive and have time to clean up after they leave.

Flow tms just work truck from day 2. Lots of trainers and if you need special help you aren't gonna work out.

Sbux get a ton of training. I think 44 hours or something to meet the sbux contract.

I tell everyone during the hiring process that we schedule 15 to 20, but that if they pay attention to the swap board they can get 35+ a week easily, and that if they want to pick up a workcenter they don't know I will happily give them a training shift and they can pick it up (except sbux).

I love cross trained people, not for scheduling but to pick up shifts. I try to cross train as many as possible on register and SFS for the holidays. They have to express interest but I am super flexible so long as you aren't an attemdance problem.

What is computer training? I started on May 19 (I do SFS) and nobody has ever said anything about computer training. Although I agree with some of the previous posters, training is pretty limited, from what I have seen. I was told I was going to be trained on how to use the Wave (I think that is what it is called-machine to get things in upper level racking) my second day, but it has not happened yet. Although that might be due to the fact that you can't really move in the storerooms.

Computer training is some courses with quizzes taken on the desktops. Food Safety, Cleaning Spills, Alcohol Sales, and a couple others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back