Archived Training Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

NKG

Nkg
So one of my few things I know what I could improve on is training other team members. Everyone learns differently so how do I adapt to their training style. Also, I tend to give too much information and that might be confusing. I was trying to train a team member in another work center and I couldn't do it since Im not an expert but I know as a TL i need to be able to teach and train no matter what. Any ideas please?

I'm no expert and just a tm but my training was confusing at first because my trainer started with the details of the job and I had no idea where she was headed. It would have been helpful to me if she had started with the big picture of the job and then taught the steps to get there.

Maybe if you tell them you may be prone to details and it might be too much, but that they are always allowed to stop you and ask questions, and that you are happy to go over things again, you all would feel comfortable in the training relationship.

Try your best to simplify what you do to as little steps as possible. Everyone teaches differently and everyone learns differently. You have to find out the balance. You can also search on workbench for tips on training as I have found a lot on there useful. Now actually getting time away to use the computer or to teach someone is a challenge in and of itself!! Good luck!! ;)

If the work center was salesfloor & backroom, understanding how to read parts of a shelf or pick label is the important thing to know. No equipment is required.
As a relatively new flow team member, this graphic/pic would have been incredibly helpful. I've never seen it before, of course. I learned most of the info in different chunks from different people. My first trainer really only explained the location part of it to find it on the shelf. I still think that is more complicated than it has to be (the shelf location).

My biggest issue with how I was trained...was no one really 'tells' you anything. They just expect you to know it, or figure it out on your own. Anyone that started after me, I tried to point all these things out to them as I'm working along side them. Just the other day a guy said "I think I've learned more from you than just about everyone else here combined". Sad thing is, I'm less than 60 days in.

Everyone is different but I think doing your regular duties and explaining them as you do it is extremely helpful. That way the trainee doesnt feel you are simply watching them and criticizing what they do as they go.

When I am training someone in the backroom. I will constantly tell them don't be afraid to ask questions. I always tell them I don't mind them asking the same thing 50 times. It shows they care enough to make sure they are doing it the right way. I also let them know that speed comes with time. Learn the job and accuracy and the rest will come in time .

Did you watch the Train the Trainer training on WB? It might help. In addition to what people have already said, find it a good idea to explain why we do things a certain way.

Explaining why is hugely beneficial. The syncronicity to other processes is very important to understand. I used analogies to explain things too.

As others have said, letting them know they can ask a ton of questions makes them comfortable. Plus look at their face as you are explaining something. You can see in their eyes if it's sinking in.

I also had them do the task as much as possible. Learning by doing is more effective then just hearing it.

If the work center was salesfloor & backroom, understanding how to read parts of a shelf or pick label is the important thing to know. No equipment is required.

There was stuff I didn't even know lol

Did you watch the Train the Trainer training on WB? It might help. In addition to what people have already said, find it a good idea to explain why we do things a certain way.

Im not a trainer but Im the best choice for hardlines since I actually work and zone during my shift.

I'm not a trainer but Im the best choice for hardlines since I actually work and zone during my shift.

I see. Well, I would suggest the train the trainer training then. Get the newer ones working like you do, so you aren't the only one anymore.

I see. Well, I would suggest the train the trainer training then. Get the newer ones working like you do, so you aren't the only one anymore.

Im the newest team member in hardlines :rolleyes: Sad, huh?

Explaining why is hugely beneficial. The syncronicity to other processes is very important to understand. I used analogies to explain things too.

This. Sometimes when I'd ask questions about something, like why a box goes on one pallet versus another (during truck unload) some would just say "it goes there!" and go back to work. That isn't helpful. Why does it go there? I had a TL explain part of the label to me as to why it goes on that specific pallet. Sometimes during unload there is no time, but even when there was I'd regularly get "it goes on [insert number]". For the way I learn, the why is important to me to understand the big picture. And when I get another one with an odd label, I'll know where it goes and won't have to ask again. Heck, maybe even help the next guy or lady with the same question.

I completely agree with explaining the big picture and WHY things are done a certain way. Giving a brief overview of the process, or how your role fits in the store is EXTREMELY helpful. Target has a different way of organizing duties within the store, and how teams interact with each other than other retailers. Explaining how this works is a good way to start.

I always recommend using a checklist of some sort. I know Target used to have training brochures, but since 'all stores aren't the same' it may be helpful to create one specific for your store's processes. Doesn't have to anything fancy, but if you're going to be training people a lot, it'll be nice to have so you are consistent from trainee to trainee.

The recommended training at my company is:
-Tell: Tell the trainee what you are doing and why it's important
-Show: Show the trainee the task you want to complete. Explain what you are doing while you are doing it.
-Do: Have the trainee confirm understanding by having them complete the task
-Review: Provide feedback to the trainee.

Most people respond to positive reinforcement more so than negative reinforcement. Be positive, and point things that they are doing well, but be constructive when correcting someone.

Always let the trainee ask questions!

So one of my few things I know what I could improve on is training other team members. Everyone learns differently so how do I adapt to their training style. Also, I tend to give too much information and that might be confusing. I was trying to train a team member in another work center and I couldn't do it since Im not an expert but I know as a TL i need to be able to teach and train no matter what. Any ideas please?

Tell them to ask questions, not only does it sort of break any awkward ice, but I find it helps me train them especially when I know a lot, and might forget something, that to me, is Habit, and borderline happens automatically.

"Here's the Sanitizer, somehow it changes itself every morning, and remains constantly at 300ppm, oh wait ya, I did that sorry, almost forgot to show you"

Tell them to ask questions, not only does it sort of break any awkward ice, but I find it helps me train them especially when I know a lot, and might forget something, that to me, is Habit, and borderline happens automatically.

"Here's the Sanitizer, somehow it changes itself every morning, and remains constantly at 300ppm, oh wait ya, I did that sorry, almost forgot to show you"

Yeah, that's one issue I had/have with being relatively new. People don't bother telling me stuff because it's second nature to them...something everyone that works there knows...except for the new people. So when I learn something new that helps us do our jobs, I'm sure to point it out to the other new people that stayed after seasonal.

Use positive reinforcement as much as possible. Praised them when they do something correctly for the first few times, and try not to nitpick over small mistakes at first. And of course tell them to ask questions anytime.

If you're training someone on a process that you aren't too familiar with, do the best you can and tell them you will find out the answers to anything you didn't know. Or have someone more knowledgeable train them if possible.

I usually start with introductions. introducing myself, introducing then to other TMs, cracking jokes to loosen their anxiety. Once ive got that going its usually just a play by ear but i start off by having them shadow me for a while and explain to them areas of the store and backroom lingo as were working. Ill then have them work along side me the next three days further explaining the dos and donts. I try to make the experience organic so theyre not trying to pertain a shit ton of information in their mind from me just talking thier first day. They need a basic rundown. I also ways make it a point to ASK QUESTIONS. That no question about the job is a dumb one.

Last edited:
So we are having extremely bad luck hiring HL TM-

They do really great in the interview. Then they get on the floor and it goes down hill. Im concerned my ETL doesn't like them already and asked me a thousand questions about them. They weren't horrible their 1st day but I'm worried things wont work out again. Any ideas on how I can engage my new TM?

So we are having extremely bad luck hiring HL TM-

They do really great in the interview. Then they get on the floor and it goes down hill. Im concerned my ETL doesn't like them already and asked me a thousand questions about them. They weren't horrible their 1st day but I'm worried things wont work out again. Any ideas on how I can engage my new TM?

I dislike training people, but if I must I start off with asking them what they have learned so far. Then I'll figure out how to fill in those gaps. I typically have the person shadow me for a bit, then have them try to duplicate what I do. I emphasize to them that they should do things in a way that makes sense to them. For example, I reshop while I zone one area at a time. A friend prefers to finish her zones, then reshop all her areas. As long as the work gets done properly, the "how" doesn't matter. I encourage the tm to ask questions of any tm in our department. If they don't know how to do something, they should ask. Oh and for HL- call buttons! Teach them how to answer call buttons! lol

As something of a new backroom TM (just finishing my 4th month here), the single thing I wished I was given that I didn't get was having the objective of my role explained to me.

I was trained by this 18 year old kid fresh out of high school and this 30 something doing the bare minimum to bring in extra money to support his family. Neither of them told me the overarching goal of my role, just told me to do X, Y and Z and then clock out.

Also once the trainee understands the core operations they're responsible for completing, give them at least some of the tricks you've learned in your time there that makes the job easier.

I would've been immeasurably grateful to not have had to spend nearly as much time trying to master my role because my training was poor and minimal. Plus I'm still not even fully there mastery-wise because the two guys training me taught me to do some wrong things out of pure apathy.

Last edited:
#1. Ask their name, and tell them yours.
#2 Get to know them, and tell them about yourself.
#3 Immediately tell them there is no such thing as a stupid question (this isn't true, LOL! but if they ask, laugh after and away from them), this will give them more confidence to approach you with questions.
#4 Just let loose on them with a barrage of Information.
#5. When you show them how to do something, tell them why "it" is important and the possible effects, not doing "it" could have. This is probably the most important, a lot of newbies may cut corners not exactly knowing why such and such is so important (Grabbing shit from the BR without pulling, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back