Training

Does anyone else feel like the new team members are not getting enough time with the trainer's. Seems like everyday they are bringing new people in and they trainer's are running around trying to get them train. Crazy how many people they are hiring it my DC we have more orange vest than yellow vest.

Yeah, it has been a hot mess here for the last 14 months. In warehousing all new TMs have to start on PIT training right away. So on the weekend shift we get 3 half shifts to get them certified and pulling carton air.

Then repeat the next week with a new batch, no time to do any of the advanced training like location holds and damage processes that are covered in weeks 2+ of the training checkpoints due to getting more new hires in the following week.

Guess that is why we have so many destroyed racking upright beams.

Yeah, it has been a hot mess here for the last 14 months. In warehousing all new TMs have to start on PIT training right away. So on the weekend shift we get 3 half shifts to get them certified and pulling carton air.

Then repeat the next week with a new batch, no time to do any of the advanced training like location holds and damage processes that are covered in weeks 2+ of the training checkpoints due to getting more new hires in the following week.

Ya, thank god they put one bolt on each side of the upright.

Not like any of them even make it to week 2.
We got 15 and 3 are left week 2.
And honestly all the training hours in the world won't make these people productive.

We had 1 that got a gravy aisle.
First 8 pulls were 100+ easy pulls.
They barely pulled 500 cartons all shift and it wasn't even detergent or juice it was easy stuff I could of pulled in a few minutes. Plus they were 3 weeks on the job

Does anyone else feel like the new team members are not getting enough time with the trainer's. Seems like everyday they are bringing new people in and they trainer's are running around trying to get them train. Crazy how many people they are hiring it my DC we have more orange vest than yellow vest.

They aren't. But also the job isn't complicated. Scan a label, Scan pallet ID, label box on most conveyable side, put box in cart. Repeat all night.

The trainers get no extra pay and the headache of many inexperienced pit operators. Most don’t last at my DC either. They come to see what the higher pay is about and possibly 2k bonus but just had one walk out in the middle of picking on his second day and another 2 leave because of the heights and the trainers not being available to work with them one on one. They park and walk around the department looking for people to help them. And the damages are insane, more damage boxes than I have ever seen.

All points thus far echoed. At least in OB we don't need to worry about PIT right away, but the physical work especially in this heat is just killer for 90% of the people they are bringing in.

Seriously, I dont give a shit about Targets liberal "everyone is the same viewpoint" please stop putting overweight women whose previous job was a call center in Outbound. They stand zero chance.

We are at the point where instead of the old 50% --> 75% --> 100% progression they are doing 50, 60, 70, 80, 85, 90, 95, 100. An eight week progression toward doing 100%.
And they are all still struggling. Meanwhile the few who are actually good are standing around with nothing to do.

Best part is 8 weeks in is about when new hires in OB start getting trained to sort. So many of these people have never actually run at 100% prod and are now sorting and they have zero idea what they are doing.
And then only 3 more weeks of that and having our "Yellow Captain" knocking down their full lanes while they take multiple bathroom breaks an hour, and they hit their 90 days get the bonus and will probably quit!

When this started our SOM told us they were going to double the ammount of trainers in the building to handle the hundreds of new hires. 8 this day, 9 that day. We are down a trainer from last year and our current trainers aren't what I would call the best. They definitely aren't the best choice to be training in base functions when they seldom do them, at the very least.

All points thus far echoed. At least in OB we don't need to worry about PIT right away, but the physical work especially in this heat is just killer for 90% of the people they are bringing in.

Seriously, I dont give a shit about Targets liberal "everyone is the same viewpoint" please stop putting overweight women whose previous job was a call center in Outbound. They stand zero chance.

We are at the point where instead of the old 50% --> 75% --> 100% progression they are doing 50, 60, 70, 80, 85, 90, 95, 100. An eight week progression toward doing 100%.
And they are all still struggling. Meanwhile the few who are actually good are standing around with nothing to do.

Best part is 8 weeks in is about when new hires in OB start getting trained to sort. So many of these people have never actually run at 100% prod and are now sorting and they have zero idea what they are doing.
And then only 3 more weeks of that and having our "Yellow Captain" knocking down their full lanes while they take multiple bathroom breaks an hour, and they hit their 90 days get the bonus and will probably quit!

When this started our SOM told us they were going to double the ammount of trainers in the building to handle the hundreds of new hires. 8 this day, 9 that day. We are down a trainer from last year and our current trainers aren't what I would call the best. They definitely aren't the best choice to be training in base functions when they seldom do them, at the very least.

SOM = 🐈?

So since Target doesn't drug test anymore, what do you guys do with tweakers at your DC? Do you just train them and let them go until they hit the rack, or find some other way to fire them? We have had one meth head just sweeping warehousing aisles for a month now because no one wants to train him on an OP.

We just lost a boatload of new hires in the past week at my DC. The heat, the heavy loads picking carton air, hitting the racks, unorganized plans because of so many call offs.

we’re bringing in 4-6 new hires for warehousing each week and turnover is over 100% for sure. Losing them faster as people who made it a few months are leaving too.

covid time off is gotta be up 1000% as more team members are missing two weeks for that too.
The 2k bonus is looking like one of the biggest gimmicks of all time. They get people in the door but we are wasting too much time training people who can’t do the work and leaving in two weeks. Some even leveraging the pay at target to their old employer to step their game up. Heard that twice is the reason I mention it. Just my 2 cents.

We just lost a boatload of new hires in the past week at my DC. The heat, the heavy loads picking carton air, hitting the racks, unorganized plans because of so many call offs.

we’re bringing in 4-6 new hires for warehousing each week and turnover is over 100% for sure. Losing them faster as people who made it a few months are leaving too.

covid time off is gotta be up 1000% as more team members are missing two weeks for that too.
The 2k bonus is looking like one of the biggest gimmicks of all time. They get people in the door but we are wasting too much time training people who can’t do the work and leaving in two weeks. Some even leveraging the pay at target to their old employer to step their game up. Heard that twice is the reason I mention it. Just my 2 cents.
Your experience has been mine.
Although please note that Reed group and Target have a different arrangement now.
Its one week paid off for negative test, and a second week only if you test positive.

By the way that week includes the time it takes to get tested. We have had sick TMs back in the DC because they were only given the one week and were still awaiting their test result (our state stopped in person testing and only does mail in tests now).

So that should hopefully help stop some of the abuse. But hell, its still one week off every 4 weeks.

Your experience has been mine.
Although please note that Reed group and Target have a different arrangement now.
Its one week paid off for negative test, and a second week only if you test positive.

By the way that week includes the time it takes to get tested. We have had sick TMs back in the DC because they were only given the one week and were still awaiting their test result (our state stopped in person testing and only does mail in tests now).

So that should hopefully help stop some of the abuse. But hell, its still one week off every 4 weeks.
The funny part too is the more guys they hire the more vacation slots open up the more of the reliable old guard goes on vacation and avoids doing overtime so not only do they hire these guys that go on leave and never actually work but then the reliable workers aren't here ever either!

I might actually get Christmas Eve off at this rate 🤣

The funny part too is the more guys they hire the more vacation slots open up the more of the reliable old guard goes on vacation and avoids doing overtime so not only do they hire these guys that go on leave and never actually work but then the reliable workers aren't here ever either!

Heck yeah, I’m starting to use mine now. Off 2 days per month next 4 months. But I’ve been working a lot of OT and ready to chill some!

Lucky. We asked about that as we have added a lot to the headcount. They said they would revisit the number of slots in January. I said how is that right, and they responded with they are too new to be able to use vacation

So since Target doesn't drug test anymore, what do you guys do with tweakers at your DC? Do you just train them and let them go until they hit the rack, or find some other way to fire them? We have had one meth head just sweeping warehousing aisles for a month now because no one wants to train him on an OP.
Holy shit hahahaha lmk what you find out

We started the year with 35ish tm’s and are up to about 70-75 (hard to tell with all the covid vaca) and they refuse to open any more vaca spots. They said they will revisit it in January.

We started the year with 35ish tm’s and are up to about 70-75 (hard to tell with all the covid vaca) and they refuse to open any more vaca spots. They said they will revisit it in January.
Ouch. They have still been opening spots up weekly for the guys on the wait list for us.

Back