Archived Transferred to Meat, first shifts are openers, what should I expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTGOz

Suitable
I'm hoping I'm gonna have a trainer that day, never done meat but got transferred to it. What should I expect? What will I be expected to do? What am I suppose to do? What is it like? etc

Thanks!

Routines vary from store to store. I've seen disastrous approaches to it. It also depends on when you get your truck. Are you a super?

First, do the fresh meat cull and if you're adventurous, check dates on lunch meat. Most skip lunch meat, sadly.

Second, do the pulls, both frozen and in the cooler.

Third, work the walls. Fill any holes you can, flexing as you notice you don't have product. It may come with the truck, but as of late for us, all hope is lost until the FDC decides to send us what we need.

Fourth, if and when the truck arrives, I've found it's easier to break the pallet down, comparing what's left on the walls with what's arrived. If it's already on the wall, back stock it. If it isn't on the wall, and there's a chance it may go out, toss it on a cart or a u-boat.

In the midst of all of this, try creating a manual caf, looking for holes or items you know will become holes in the immediate future. Again, most people skip this, resulting in a fucked up looking meat department. I also, if time allows, try to research what I know I have excess of, or problematic items(pickles, I can't get in unless I zero them out, so I try to think ahead.)

Order is irrelevant, I suppose. The cull is a must, though. It's important to get outdated product off the floor and coupon short dated items to improve the chance to sell them.

Meat is probably the easiest department day to day. There are days where it sucks, like when you clean. These new chicken packages create a real fucking mess, even with liners. During my meat shifts, I try to finish as quickly as possible, then venture into another department to help out. Other food departments are understaffed, and meat is such an easy department that it seems unfair to me to spend a full day fucking about with it.

Okay so I worked my first shift, I found out it just says I was scheduled for meat but it's actually FDC... I guess if you're in Meat it should say Meat TM or TM Meat. Which is good, I kind of maybe didn't wanna work meat and more so in over in FDC. So that's good! My first day went well before the store's power went out. I did a few pulls, learned to pull a research, and what to do with backstock. We were originally going to Purge after all the pulls but we never got to because the power died. The friend I worked with said I was lucky because normally Sundays are a clusterF*** with a bunch of pallets to do(which I've had to help work before)

When the power went out, two trucks arrived, and I unloaded my first truck. Also, those pallet movers are hard to steer when pushing, not pulling. Does anyone have any tips on how to drive them straight? I thought pushing flats were hard at first but I quickly learned how to steer them, and I quickly learned pallet movers are not the same as a flat roller.

When the power went out, two trucks arrived, and I unloaded my first truck.
Please tell me you mean the trucks arrived after the power came back on, not while it was still out...

Also, those pallet movers are hard to steer when pushing, not pulling. Does anyone have any tips on how to drive them straight? I thought pushing flats were hard at first but I quickly learned how to steer them, and I quickly learned pallet movers are not the same as a flat roller.
Pull the pallet jacks, don't push them.

The only time I would push a pallet is when I'm pushing it into the cooler. But I would still pull it from receiving down to the cooler door.

Please tell me you mean the trucks arrived after the power came back on, not while it was still out...

Pull the pallet jacks, don't push them.

The only time I would push a pallet is when I'm pushing it into the cooler. But I would still pull it from receiving down to the cooler door.

Yup during power outage, we had backup generators running tho. I pulled them which was easy, but everyone else was pushing them into the truck and grabbing palettes that way so I did too.

We'll see.

I have my first HOPEFULLY real shift in FDC tomorrow.. I'm learning things like Research, how to backstock, and last sunday we were going to Purge our entire Dairy aisle until the power went out during a storm. Today I worked produce for an hour or so just because they needed help and I really learned to backstock so now I'm comfortable doing that, at least with a mydevice.

Lets see how this goes! I'm excited. Also, does anyone know if there's a target thread or wiki on Sales Floor terms such as Research, POG, Backstock etc? That kind of stuff or specific tasks you might be dealt. hard to explain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back