Archived Transferring as an ETL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey team! I would like to transfer at some point. Does anyone know the criteria for transferring as an ETL?

Don't know about as an ETL.
I'm guessing it's about the same as for a TM only with less options.
You'd have to contact the store or stores in the area, find out if there are any openings, have the HR departments talk, have the STLs talk and go from there.

How far into position are you? Most of the time you have to be at or near your 18 months. Also, you have to be running a green work center. If you want to move groups or regions, you will probably have to do some sort of interview with your new GVP or HRML.

How far into position are you? Most of the time you have to be at or near your 18 months. Also, you have to be running a green work center. If you want to move groups or regions, you will probably have to do some sort of interview with your new GVP or HRML.

I moved for my job offer. Wanted to transfer after a year back to where I was. I was hired at pay grade 11. I just couldn't find any information on it at all. Just wanted to know what I'd be up against.

Its a quiet bit more involved than a TM transfer. I believe you have to be moving to a store with an opening and both DTLs (or single DTL), with Group or Region possibly getting involved, must approve the transfer.

Last edited:
Its a quiet bit more involved than a TM transfer. I believe you have to be moving to a store with an opening and both DTLs (or single DTL) must approve the transfer.

So it sounds like I do have to be running a green work center and I just have to look into it. I'm wondering if I should wait until I'm pay grade 13 or just transfer after a year. I just know I don't want to be in this city lol.

As an ETL I'd imagine you'll have to wait until your rotation is over (18 months). Everything ETL is 18 months unless you are a superstar. However, even superstars usually do at least one 18 month rotation in a role.

A friend of mine worked with Target for 14 years as an ETL and had issues with a transfer. He even moved his family back to the city he wanted to transfer to and last minute it was denied. A year later he was able to reapply and finally transfer. You'll need to have all green metrics, then you'll have to find an opening. It's up to your DTL to let you go. From what other's have experienced, it's harder to go from a high volume to a low volume market. For example it's easy to snatch up an ETL job in the DMV area but if I wanted to go back to PA it would be much more challenging.

Get green and wait until your rotation is over. Nothing Target does is measured in a year. Actually you're not expected to do your job well in the first 12 months. It's from 12-18 months that they start evaluating your performance and start moving you towards CAs.

As an ETL I'd imagine you'll have to wait until your rotation is over (18 months). Everything ETL is 18 months unless you are a superstar. However, even superstars usually do at least one 18 month rotation in a role.

A friend of mine worked with Target for 14 years as an ETL and had issues with a transfer. He even moved his family back to the city he wanted to transfer to and last minute it was denied. A year later he was able to reapply and finally transfer. You'll need to have all green metrics, then you'll have to find an opening. It's up to your DTL to let you go. From what other's have experienced, it's harder to go from a high volume to a low volume market. For example it's easy to snatch up an ETL job in the DMV area but if I wanted to go back to PA it would be much more challenging.

Get green and wait until your rotation is over. Nothing Target does is measured in a year. Actually you're not expected to do your job well in the first 12 months. It's from 12-18 months that they start evaluating your performance and start moving you towards CAs.

Thank you. That sounds about right. Something told me to apply where I wanted to be lol.

You'll have to do the leg work but give your leadership the heads up that you want to transfer before wasting time talking with another store.

You may run into roadblocks but you may also have an easy transition. Some districts have an awesome team.

I know an ETL who is transferring after about 9 months in-role. the entire process is apparently going to take 1-2 months

I know an ETL who is transferring after about 9 months in-role. the entire process is apparently going to take 1-2 months

Ok cool. That's good to know, but we're they running a green workcenter? It's just interesting because I can't find anything on workbench about transferring as an ETL.

I always thought that ETLs were at the mercy of the DTL. Go where DTL wants you to go, when DTL wants you to. Maybe if it's out of group/district it would easier.

I want to transfer out of group. Is there a difference for doing either one?

It really becomes a battle of who needs ETLs more. If you're going to a needed area then the transfer should go smoothly.

as an etl my first question to you would be, does your stl know you are looking to relocate? second question is, whatever your relocation is in talent mgmt sys then you need to change that. if you are not open and honest about wanting to transfer and try to be sneaky about it... it will never happen. However, if you are at 12-13 months and you're running a green workcenter you could probably, REALISTICLY, look at transfering stores in 3-4 months or closer to your 18. the reason being is because they have to also train your backfill. if your workcenter is not green then you will have the world against you. also, if youre brought in as an 11, im assuming you have/had a decent amount of retail mgmt experience where you have expressed your desire to become an stl, not only some day but probably soon?? maybe, just making an assumption. with all of this being said... things in the district need to be going on(promoting, performancing, lateral moves, etc...). Talent meetings are also roughly once a month or as needed to do people planning so if your name is not in play now.. you need to get into play. hope this makes sense

Ok cool. That's good to know, but we're they running a green workcenter? It's just interesting because I can't find anything on workbench about transferring as an ETL.

Buhhhh, I believe it was a green workcenter, yes. She drives about 2 hours each way to and from the current store. I know it took a while for her to be able to officially announce that they were looking for a new location for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back