Archived Transferring Targets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, I've been checking out The Break Room for awhile but I never actually created an account. I decided to create on for this specific situation I'm in. I've been working the front end ever since I was hired (Aug 2015). I began working Guest Service months after. But then I've wanted to cross train. I was never able to move because they didn't want me to transfer departments. I understand it though, once you get cross trained, you'll most likely stay there.

Fast forward to now, my store has 3 GSA's and 2 GSTLs. I have just been named one of the Temporary GSAs. I've been GSA for about a Month now and I can already tell it's not for me. My ETL of the Front End is the worst to work with, I just want out. I want to transfer to a neighboring city Target because I'm trying to get an apartment with my cousin in that city, and because they offered the Presentation job to me (I've been after that position for about 2-3 months now). That city I plan to move to isn't close either, it's about an hour away.

The issue is: I fear my Target will block my transfer. I talked to my front End ETL and told her how I'm not interested in being GSA anymore. I kind of figured it wasn't, but the position was literally handed to me so I decided to give it a try. The ETL said I have to finish the temporary position until the GSA who went on LOA comes back (In May or June). I don't want to wait because I don't want to lose this opportunity to finally get the position I've been after and finally make it out the front end. I didn't sign any agreement or anything saying I'd have to finish, my front end ETL quoted "We would still need you to finish the temporary GSA position until ____ comes back."

Alright so there you have it folks, is there any loop hole? How can I get out of being GSA and Transfer to that Target?

Well my first question is are they paying you to be a temporary GSA? If not then you are not technically a GSA therefore they can't stop you. Honestly I would just talk to your ETL HR tell them you have to move due to a family emergency and need to transfer. And if they refuse then I would call the hotline because you don't have any write ups so they have nothing on paper to block your transfer

You may have already jinxed yourself by telling your ETL you don't want to be GSA any more.
The best approach would've been to let them know that you are moving to XXX town & XXX date will be your last so you would like their help with a transfer to T-XXXX store near where you will be living.
You don't need to provide too detailed a reason for moving, certainly not 'because I'm getting an apartment with my cousin.'
If they refuse your transfer, your only hope is to let the other store know that you may need to put in your two weeks & your old store may mark you as unrehireable. If they would take you despite that, then go from there but make sure you have it in writing.

I tried to transfer to a store within my district in 2017. They blocked my transfer for reasons of not being able to keep overnight flow and backroom staffed. I was with the company 5 years no coaching or corrective action in my file. My best advise is partner with your hr and the store you wish to transfer to. Best of luck!

My first store closed in 2016, and I transferred to another store. Not sure if that would have had anything to do with it.

So my Front End ETL knows that I have a medical issue. And transportation is a factor. If I were to move, I would probably have to transfer regardless. She knows I have like near perfect attendance, my attendance wouldn't be so perfect living an hour away. I kind of take pride in coming to work everyday. I was not planning on telling them "I'm moving with my cousin". I was going to say I need to transfer because I'm moving. My Front End ETL also knows I'm really interest in Presentation, so it's just really hard not to go for this position. The Target I'm at, it's nearly impossible to get out of the front end.

Sounds like they don’t have a reason to deny you. In my first store, it was almost impossible to get off the front. My way out was becoming a cosmetics brand team member. I would talk to the store you are wanting to transfer to, and see if they can offer assistance.

Thanks for your help everyone. I know I have to speak to my HR.. I just hope they don't block the transfer and miss out on finally being able to work in a different department.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back