Archived Trying to get old job back

Status
Not open for further replies.
At 18, I used to work at a Target back in the state of Texas. I was with the company from December 2016 to July 2017. I was hired originally as a Starbucks Barista although, I had ended up being trained and helping out all over majority of the sales floor. Towards the end of my time with the company, I had been fired for stealing cash straight from the register. I was a dumb kid making very bad choices at the time I've obviously realized. Now, I'm 21 and living in New York State. I'm 1,000 miles away from family, a full time student and interning for a politician at the moment. I would like to think I've changed quite a bit since those few years ago. I'm currently trying to get hired with the Target here in the area I'm living in. Would I have any shot of getting rehired with the company or should I just not bother...?

Playing the part of the cynic here, but you admit to stealing cash out of the register and now you're interning for a politician. (Note that I worked in politics many years ago, before it became what it is today.) Would you hire you, with your past with Target and today's political climate?
I'm just doing the internship for my major which will give me some extra credits for school/my degree. I see the point you're making and your stance on the topic. I figured I'd post this just to get a feel of who thought I would have a shot of getting an interview much less hired if so!

You have nothing to lose by applying, but to be honest I wouldn't hire you. You're only 3 years removed from stealing from the company. While that might seem like a long enough time to you to be much older and wiser, I think it will be difficult to convince the people making hiring decisions that it really is in your case. But, applying is easy and there is nothing to lose by trying. So, give it a go.

You could apply but they'll ask if you worked for Target before.
If you say 'no' & they discover you lied, that's a def turndown.
If you're honest, they may still consider you unrehireable.
Does the politician you're interning for know about this incident?

You could apply but they'll ask if you worked for Target before.
If you say 'no' & they discover you lied, that's a def turndown.
If you're honest, they may still consider you unrehireable.
Does the politician you're interning for know about this incident?
No, I've actually never met this politician before. My internship is basically where I work in one of the campaign offices making coffee, taking phone calls, light secretary work overall. When I was fired I'm not sure if this was even put on my personal record. I know I had to pay about 700 dollars in fines but that was about it.

Your ss# is tied to your employment. You will be listed as non rehirable. Your best bet is to go to the store (or call). Tell them you are a former tm and want to speak with HR leader about working there. Explain to HR.

When I was fired I'm not sure if this was even put on my personal record. I know I had to pay about 700 dollars in fines but that was about it.
In Texas, theft over $500 is a felony & would definitely be on your record.
Less than $500 is a Class A misdemeanor & could still be on record unless there was an agreement with the court to expunge upon restitution.

At 18, I used to work at a Target back in the state of Texas. I was with the company from December 2016 to July 2017. I was hired originally as a Starbucks Barista although, I had ended up being trained and helping out all over majority of the sales floor. Towards the end of my time with the company, I had been fired for stealing cash straight from the register. I was a dumb kid making very bad choices at the time I've obviously realized. Now, I'm 21 and living in New York State. I'm 1,000 miles away from family, a full time student and interning for a politician at the moment. I would like to think I've changed quite a bit since those few years ago. I'm currently trying to get hired with the Target here in the area I'm living in. Would I have any shot of getting rehired with the company or should I just not bother...?
My best friend works in HR @ my store and I know for a fact they will not rehire you after you have been caught stealing from the company. When they termed you they classed you as unrehirable in the system and it takes about 10 years for your record to go away in the system.

In Texas, theft over $500 is a felony & would definitely be on your record.
Less than $500 is a Class A misdemeanor & could still be on record unless there was an agreement with the court to expunge upon restitution.
I had received two letters in the mail later. I vaguely remember who I had to pay it too but it was some law firm/lawyer from Target. One was around 500 and the other letter was about 200 something. I paid these two letters off and never heard anything again. I have no clue really, I guess that is something I'll be needing to look into then!

I agree with the suggestion to talk to the ETL-HR at the store before even applying so you can discuss the situation. I'm not in HR, but at prior employers when I helped with application reviews and screenings, I would have weeded out anyone with a history of theft, regardless of how old it was. I was working for a home nursing agency, so the applications I was reviewing were for home placements with minimal supervision.

I'm currently trying to get hired with the Target here in the area I'm living in. Would I have any shot of getting rehired with the company or should I just not bother...?

Your chances are very low. When screening applications, HR can see whether you were previously employed with Target, when you worked here, the reason for your termination, and whether you are rehireable. Most HR Teams won't rehire someone who got fired for gross misconduct (what theft would fall under). Gross misconduct is a huge red flag during application screening.

Your information is in the system as non rehirable. There's no chance of AP was involved.

Ahh the halcyon days of summer '17, as I recall things were wild back then. You just had to be there!

Let's be real, the folly of youth angle might work if the theft incident had happened decades ago and you were now reapplying as a much older adult in your 40s, but even if you got an interview there's no HR person alive who will buy it just a year and some months after the fact. Probably best not to waste your time, fam.

As an aside, your math doesn't work. You were 18 when you worked at Target previously. That was Dec '16 to July '17. Now you're 21? In only 15-22 months' time?

As an aside, your math doesn't work. You were 18 when you worked at Target previously. That was Dec '16 to July '17. Now you're 21? In only 15-22 months' time?
Good catch. If they turned 19 on Dec 2nd, 2016 then the soonest that they could be 21 would be Dec 2, 2018.
Highly unlikely though. " I would like to think I've changed quite a bit since those few years ago. " July 2017 was just last summer.

Honestly, if it wasn't for CTT's comment about "a year and a few months", I would have missed it as well. I only knew something didn't feel right about the OP, couldn't put my finger on what rang wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back