Archived Tuition Reimbursement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im looking into going back to school this summer. How exactly does the Tuition Reimbursement for Team Leaders work? And is there a limit on the majors you can take?

You have submit the classes you want reimbursed and basically convince Spot to foot the bill. My ETL HR told me that someone she knows got reimbursed for a Bible class(not a major, but still). As long as you can make a convincing case on how the class will benefit Spot, it doesn't matter what you study.

I just talked with my my Sr.TL-GE about this the other day, actually. He is in college as well. He and my ETL-HR said that they might pay for some of your core classes. In addition they said that Target can reimburse you if the class "relates" to working at Target. My Sr.TL says he got some of his mathematics/business classes paid for.
Hope this helps. :-/

From targetpayandbenefits or ehr:
You have to be a tl, Sr ap, facilities mgt tm's, pharmacy student or tl, or dc tm/tl to qualify.
Non exempt Tm must work at spot when course begins.
Non exempt Tm must be active with spot & working to get the reimbursement.
Courses must be approved by spot.
Max Amts:
3k for undergrad stuff
4k for grad stuff
5k for masters
Grades must be higher than c minus, too.
Call tmsc 800-394-1885 for more info.
But use ehr or targetpayandbenefits.com for more details.
I hope this helps!

Tuition Reimbursement only works for classes or coursework that can relate to Target. If you have a marketing class and art class is a school requirement, they may pay for it. But generally they will only foot for classes related to business, marketing, or some sort of marketable media.

How does the actual reimbursement part of it work? I figure I would just use student loans to pay for the classes initially and use the reimbursement to pay off the loan. I was told they just give you a little money at a time through ur checks???

courses must be approved by spot. there are new changes on who is allowed to get it now. go to ehr for further info.

Actually from what I've heard is that the reimbursement it dispersed on the last paycheck of the year.

Actually from what I've heard is that the reimbursement it dispersed on the last paycheck of the year.

While it's certainly possible that things have changed, the way it used to work is that you had to submit the request within X weeks of the class starting (3? 4? I can't recall) and then after grades came in, you had to submit a transcript showing you earned a qualifying grade. The reimbursement (as a lump sum) would then be tacked onto a check some time within the next two to four pay cycles, depending on the timing of it, how busy HR was at HQ, the alignment of the planets and the phase of the moon, and who knows what other factors.

sure would be nice if target offered tuition assistance to team members that have been with target X amount of years.... i mean one would think after almost 10 years they would be able to get tuition assistance....

The reason is it would be a waste of money and against corporate interests.

Target offers tuition reimbursement to make it possible for people in leadership roles (TL and above) to advance up the ladder. For TLs, a degree would help them move to ETL and for ETLs it would help them move up to STL/DTL or corporate.

The program requires you take programs related to Target's business. The program is not to help you get a degree in Art Appreciation and blow thousands of Target dollars on a worthless degree OR even to help you get a degree in Electrical Engineering. Electrical Engineering may be a great degree, but it doesn't relate to Target's business of retail. The program is designed to help you get a degree in Business Administration, Marketing, Supply Chain Management, Criminal Justice (for AP), Pharmacy, etc. Fields that actually help Target. The idea is that people who take courses related to Target's business can thus help Target succeed. This is the actual goal of the program. With that in mind, these are the reasons it is restricted to TLs and above:

1. TM's generally have little investment in the company. TLs/ETLs will generally stick around for a while. Yes, there are definitely "lifers" out there, but about 95% of TMs go through a revolving door. Large numbers of TMs barely make it past 90 days, let alone for over a year. It doesn't make sense to pay thousands of dollars in college costs to people who are not going to stay in the company and help Target in the long run.

2. Statistically, most TMs will not get a college degree. There are various reasons for this, but the fact of the matter most TMs will never get a 4 year degree during their entire life. So even if they took some classes, it would be a waste because they still would not end up with a degree allowing them to move up to ETL and above.

3. Long term TMs (or lifers) who have been with the company several years are either not wanting to go into leadership *or* are poor performers who might want a TL spot, but can't get it because of performance or other issues. If you have been with the company for many years and haven't made it to TL, assuming you want the job, realistically you probably are not cut out for leadership.... otherwise you would have been offered a TL spot in that time assuming you consistently expressed interest. Again, it makes no sense wasting thousands of dollars on TMs who don't want leadership positions or who aren't cut out for it. Again, refer back to the overall goal of the program. Target wants people to go to college, but only if it helps the company. Spending thousands in college costs for TMs who don't want leadership jobs at Target or who aren't cut out for them is not consistent with the goal of the program.

4. Expanding the program to TMs would potentially cost millions. There are much fewer numbers of TLs/ETLs in the company than their are TMs. Target has to have some limitations. With the above points (1-3) noted above, it makes the most sense to spend the money on TLs and above. College is hugely expensive. Target has what, 100,000 TMs? Assume just 20% of those TMs took advantage of the program and Target repaid just $5000 on each of those TMs. That comes to a bill to Target of $100,000,000. And that is just assuming $5000 in reimbursement. It is not realistic for Target to pay out that kind of cash. Target is a retailer.... not a bank to provide funds for everyone to go to college.

Last edited:
So, you're totally against giving the option of tuition reimbursement to TMs of 10+ years?

I think he's just explaining why Spot would be against the idea, not himself personally.
Some companies out there, like Verizon, see having educated employees (no matter what classes they take) as being good for the company so they provide reimbursement as a perk.

So, you're totally against giving the option of tuition reimbursement to TMs of 10+ years?

I'm just explaining why it wouldn't be practical and why target has the rules it does. Target is in the business to make money and enhance the company, not hand out free cash to TMs who probably are not going anywhere in life. (let's just be honest, "lifers" generally have no ambition to move up in life or with Target.... they are happy doing what they are doing. So why would they need Target to pay for college if they have no desire to move up in their career with Target?) In fact, I would actually be more likely to agree with TMs who had been with the company 1 year getting tuition reimbursement over people who had been there 10+ years. Why? Because the 10+ TMs have demonstrated they either have no desire to move up or are not capable of moving up. The 1 year TMs could still have potential for that.

FYI - you make it sound like if Target doesn't pay for your school, then there is no way you can go to college and this is some great tragedy. The fact is, *anyone* can go to college using financial aid. It is not *that* important if Target doesn't pay for it. So yes, I think Target's reasoning is valid. Target would go out of business if they paid for college for every TM in the company who wanted the cash.... and then no one would have tuition reimbursement of even a job.

So, if you are not interested in moving up with Target or getting a degree that is related to the Target business, then yes, you need to go to college using financial aid money instead of Target money. That is why financial aid is there.

Last edited:
Sadly I kinda agree with SoT. It wouldn't be economic for Target to reimburse tuition for all TMs, and if they're at Target for 10 years as a TM, they're probably a lifer. I've been here over 3 and I'm starting to feel like a lifer so I'm trying to get out! lol.

That being said, spot could afford being less stingy with pay & benefits....

I think he's just explaining why Spot would be against the idea, not himself personally.
Some companies out there, like Verizon, see having educated employees (no matter what classes they take) as being good for the company so they provide reimbursement as a perk.

I have a friend who worked at a company who did this. They figured any education would make a person more valuable.

I received my reimbursement for the Fall 2012 semester a last paycheck. You can get Spot to pay for most anything as long as you tie the course description from the course catalogue to some Target lingo. Target helped pay for my History/Poli Sci degree probably because I could tie most course objectives to the Leadership Expectations or Core Roles. "This history course develops critical thinking and analysis skill..." or " this Poli Sci course will result in stronger and more effective communication skills through blah blah blah.." Once you receive your final grades, submit them to Spot and they will lump the reimbursement into an upcoming paycheck. YOu do have to remember to request the reimbursement with enough time to get it approved BEFORE the first day of class.

YOu do have to remember to request the reimbursement with enough time to get it approved BEFORE the first day of class.

That's not quite true. It is recommended that you do that if you only plan on taking a course if Target will reimburse you for it. The reasoning is so you'll have time to choose another class if your request gets declined. I put my request for reimbursement in 2 weeks before finals week and it was approved.

In my previous district, you couldn't promote to TL without a degree. I thought that was ridiculous because you didn't qualify for tuition reimbursement until you were a TL. I sometimes wonder why HQ lets DTLs do some of these crazy things. The DTL has been replaced, so it may be different now, I dunno.

In my previous district, you couldn't promote to TL without a degree. I thought that was ridiculous because you didn't qualify for tuition reimbursement until you were a TL. I sometimes wonder why HQ lets DTLs do some of these crazy things. The DTL has been replaced, so it may be different now, I dunno.

We had a few threads about that some time ago. It's not a Target rule; DTLs pretty much do whatever they want.

From targetpayandbenefits or ehr:
You have to be a tl, Sr ap, facilities mgt tm's, pharmacy student or tl, or dc tm/tl to qualify.
Non exempt Tm must work at spot when course begins.
Non exempt Tm must be active with spot & working to get the reimbursement.
Courses must be approved by spot.
Max Amts:
3k for undergrad stuff
4k for grad stuff
5k for masters
Grades must be higher than c minus, too.
Call tmsc 800-394-1885 for more info.
But use ehr or targetpayandbenefits.com for more details.
I hope this helps!
@Amanda Cantwell 100% student

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back