Answered Two Week Notice

So I put in my two week notice because I found a better job, and was told to post my shifts for next week. I did but everyone is either already scheduled and don’t want to do overtime, or they have time off. I’m supposed to start training next week and I’m wondering if it’s worth it to leave on Sunday and tell them I won’t be returning.

I did post my shifts, but no one wants them. I was asking what would happen if I just told them my last day is Sunday and left without doing my two weeks.

Yeah I figured as much, which isn’t something I want to do but because my team mates are scheduled or don’t want to help I fear I may have to.

It is what it is id be happier knowing that your not coming in then just hoping your coming in and having stuff planned for you. They might be mad but its hard to know without knowing the people in your store good luck with your new adventure

It is what it is id be happier knowing that your not coming in then just hoping your coming in and having stuff planned for you. They might be mad but its hard to know without knowing the people in your store good luck with your new adventure
Thank you! I’ll ask around today and see if anyone wants those shifts, if not I’ll talk to the ETL or my TL

Talk to your TL and ETL. They typically know who's looking for hours. It's possible that the people who want more hours haven't noticed that you posted yours.

Best not to burn any bridges. As the pandemic has shown us, life is incredibly unpredictable.

Talk to your TL and ETL. They typically know who's looking for hours. It's possible that the people who want more hours haven't noticed that you posted yours.

Best not to burn any bridges. As the pandemic has shown us, life is incredibly unpredictable.
I'm trying not to. I talked to HR yesterday and she said she'd try to figure something out. I'll ask again tomorrow.

I did post my shifts, but no one wants them. I was asking what would happen if I just told them my last day is Sunday and left without doing my two weeks.
It would be wise not to breach the two-week notice requirement, but remember the "two week notice requirement" is a one-way street. When Target as employer decides to terminate you, they do not give you a "two week notice". They do not give you two weeks pay in lieu of notice, except in very rare cases where they would then force you to sign a form promising never, ever, ever to publicize your firing or in any way to criticize or "disparage" Target as a company. Again, best if you can avoid making Target's people angry as you quit, but don't forget they won't give you the same courtesy if they decide to fire you. Don't feel guilty.

I am 55 years old and have been laid off and fired a couple of times.

The two week notice is a relic of the past from when you could expect to work at the same company for 30 years.

I would only give a two week notice If I was a FULL-TIME employee or would lose my vacation pay.

The fact that you made an effort to post your shifts is more than most people would do in your situation.

Supposedly at Target if you don't give a two week notice you aren't eligible to be rehired. However that doesn't mean you will be hired again at Target either.

Finally the any future employee that bothers to contact Target is only going to be told your last position and how long you were there.

Good luck.

The two week notice is a relic of the past from when you could expect to work at the same company for 30 years.
I would only give a two week notice If I was a FULL-TIME employee or would lose my vacation pay.
Corporate changed their vacation policy four years ago by revoking cash-out of accrued vacation, so that latter point is moot.

Companies do not grant to the employee the courtesy of a two-week notice of dismissal or layoff. An "at-will" employee should understand that if they need to leave early to start a better job, the two-week notice deal is not a binding contract. While your friends (and possibly your bosses) will appreciate the courtesy, the company won't give a damn.

Corporate changed their vacation policy four years ago by revoking cash-out of accrued vacation, so that latter point is moot.

So what happens to the accrued vacation of someone that retires that was full-time?

I overheard a long term member that just retired complaining that they were still owed 55 hours of vacation.

A part-time employee would have never had that many vacation hours because hours usually get cut to the bone in January and February.

Pretty sure my state mandates that they pay out personal and vacation time, other states that don't i believe target doesn't pay it but idk for sure.. if i ever plan on leaving ill make sure because im usually pretty close to maxed out at 240hrs

Last edited:
Back