Archived Unionize

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overheard a conversation in the breakroom yesterday between two team members. Not sure if they had their one on one just prior but they were talking about how their job was being eliminated and hours reduced. The other TM said (jokingly or not) that we should unionize. I googled it and there have been a few failed attempts in the past. Would be nice to see some new efforts.

A union will not help with the issues of hours being reduced or jobs eliminated. Those are valid business business needs and the company will reserve the right to change them.

A union is only a good idea if the overwhelming majority is interested in being involved and active in the union. Our employee base isn’t going to be.

You also have to pay union fees though.

Yes, but in some cases your union negotiates for you that you don't have ANY health insurance premium sucked out of your check.

In my family's case, the 50 bucks a month in dues is a huge cost savings over paying hundreds of dollars in insurance premiums.
Toss in low co-pays and deductibles...and it becomes an easy choice. Just saying!

Yes, but in some cases your union negotiates for you that you don't have ANY health insurance premium sucked out of your check.

In my family's case, the 50 bucks a month in dues is a huge cost savings over paying hundreds of dollars in insurance premiums.
Toss in low co-pays and deductibles...and it becomes an easy choice. Just saying!

They will also negotiate raises and the process that goes into it.
No more of this, the store can only have one % outstanding employees because it didn't make sales so you don't get one despite busting your ass.
If you deserve the raise, meet the requirements for it, you will get it.
Also when it comes down to reducing hours they can't do it to people they don't like, there has to be a fair and across the board process.
Plus, your union dues go into a fund to help when hours drop.

No more of this, the store can only have one % outstanding employees because it didn't make sales so you don't get one despite busting your ass.
Also when it comes down to reducing hours they can't do it to people they don't like, there has to be a fair and across the board process.

As a manager over union retail employees...I could for 100% sure fuck with schedules and force those with twenty years in to quit.

I had the absolute ability to take away full time status. It was hard but definitely possible. I could take away a lot of things through creative schedule writing and defend it.

I didn't do it, but for some people it was definitely entertained and possible.

As a manager over union retail employees...I could for 100% sure fuck with schedules and force those with twenty years in to quit.

I had the absolute ability to take away full time status. It was hard but definitely possible. I could take away a lot of things through creative schedule writing and defend it.

I didn't do it, but for some people it was definitely entertained and possible.

Weak union or crap steward in your store.

I guess I should have done the caveat that you have to support your union and just not expect it to do everything for you.
You are your union.
Volunteer to help and support it.
Make sure it is strong and can't be pushed around by shitty companies.
Be the steward in your shop and stand up for your coworkers.
It isn't easy but it is important.

Weak union or crap steward in your store.

I guess I should have done the caveat that you have to support your union and just not expect it to do everything for you.
You are your union.
Volunteer to help and support it.
Make sure it is strong and can't be pushed around by shitty companies.
Be the steward in your shop and stand up for your coworkers.
It isn't easy but it is important.
Yes the union was weak, but also the contract had loopholes. For example, it stated that if I had two four hour shifts in the same workcenter that were consecutive, or with a hour between them, I had to make it a 8 hour shift, which had to go to full timers first up to 40 hours each.

So I could just schedule 5 hour shifts and the rule didn't apply, so I could demonstrate that I didn't need 8 hour shifts at all. There was a process to step down the lowest seniority full timers first but over a year you could use the process and get them all stepped down.

Just one example. I don't think it is harder to discipline either here or there. A union does not protect the team the way that most here thinks it will. For sure the benefits are a big deal, but you are tied into a pay scale that doesn't change no matter how good you are, and it creates an us vs. Them environment in the store that IMHO doesn't need to exist in a well managed store.

Your union will also factor in cost of living increases when negotiating your contract.

Yes the union was weak, but also the contract had loopholes. For example, it stated that if I had two four hour shifts in the same workcenter that were consecutive, or with a hour between them, I had to make it a 8 hour shift, which had to go to full timers first up to 40 hours each.

So I could just schedule 5 hour shifts and the rule didn't apply, so I could demonstrate that I didn't need 8 hour shifts at all. There was a process to step down the lowest seniority full timers first but over a year you could use the process and get them all stepped down.

Just one example. I don't think it is harder to discipline either here or there. A union does not protect the team the way that most here thinks it will. For sure the benefits are a big deal, but you are tied into a pay scale that doesn't change no matter how good you are, and it creates an us vs. Them environment in the store that IMHO doesn't need to exist in a well managed store.

Good point about the contract.
If you are in a union that is another thing you can volunteer for, the negotiating team for the contract.
There are usually some professionals on the team (something your union dues help pay for) but there are also lay people as well.
You take a class on the process and are best suited because you know how people on the ground are apt to sneak abound the rules.
Another way to keep your union strong.

Harder to discipline is a fine line.
Your union steward has to be with you when you are officially being disciplined so that way that can't fuck with you.
It just means the company has to be a lot more careful about dotting their i's and crossing t's.

As to the us vs them environment, ASANTS.
Just because some stores are magical places and a union is not needed, does not mean that there are not stores that are hellholes where a union would make life better for the Team Members.

A union will not help with the issues of hours being reduced or jobs eliminated. Those are valid business business needs and the company will reserve the right to change them.

A union is only a good idea if the overwhelming majority is interested in being involved and active in the union. Our employee base isn’t going to be.
^^This 100%. Wont ever happen. There are too many people in our generation that hate unions for whatever the fuck reasons.

Good point about the contract.
If you are in a union that is another thing you can volunteer for, the negotiating team for the contract.
There are usually some professionals on the team (something your union dues help pay for) but there are also lay people as well.
You take a class on the process and are best suited because you know how people on the ground are apt to sneak abound the rules.
Another way to keep your union strong.

Harder to discipline is a fine line.
Your union steward has to be with you when you are officially being disciplined so that way that can't fuck with you.
It just means the company has to be a lot more careful about dotting their i's and crossing t's.

As to the us vs them environment, ASANTS.
Just because some stores are magical places and a union is not needed, does not mean that there are not stores that are hellholes where a union would make life better for the Team Members.

Union stewards do NOT necessarily have to be present at all discipline, that is contract dependant. In the contract I worked with, the employee could request that the steward be present, but only if the steward was there. Otherwise we could substitute any other union member in the building to witness. (Obviously we chose ones that would keep the employee calm and quiet.)

Union stewards do NOT necessarily have to be present at all discipline, that is contract dependant. In the contract I worked with, the employee could request that the steward be present, but only if the steward was there. Otherwise we could substitute any other union member in the building to witness. (Obviously we chose ones that would keep the employee calm and quiet.)

My wife was a teachers union steward.
Many of the teachers would ask for her specifically and they had to delay the discipline until she was available.
It's kind of like asking for your lawyer.
Don't let the boss pick who is going to be standing up for you.

Man if you guys put this mich effort into doing your jobs, you just might be less miserable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back