Unpaid leave/accommodations

Hi, I am just trying to get some more information about the positions within Target DC as I have gotten little information over the 2 weeks I've been there. I am currently placed in OB due to the fact I am terrified of heights and was moved out of Warehousing. I expressed my concerns regarding being in OB bc of how physically demanding it is and was looking to see what would be the best suggested area since they have placed me on unpaid leave for 2 weeks to get paperwork signed by a doc for accommodations.

Honestly? Packing. Inbound can also be physically demanding at times and unless you're in a test building the only other option that leaves you is packing.

Hope it works out for you.

Thank you. I was hoping that maybe Inbound would be a better suggestion for me considering that packing I would be taking a pay cut and that unfortunately will not work out for me.

Thank you. I was hoping that maybe Inbound would be a better suggestion for me considering that packing I would be taking a pay cut and that unfortunately will not work out for me.
Inbound is equally as physical as Outbound. In some ways, even more so. For example when you start in OB you typically have ~4 doors that you alternate between. Let's you get out, stretch, drink some water, cool off/warm up.
In IB you start in art which has you unloading a single trailer, stuck in there all day.
What exactly is it that you feel is a medical reason to not do OB?

Inbound is equally as physical as Outbound. In some ways, even more so. For example when you start in OB you typically have ~4 doors that you alternate between. Let's you get out, stretch, drink some water, cool off/warm up.
In IB you start in art which has you unloading a single trailer, stuck in there all day.
Fear of heights.

My OB department at my place isn't just 4 doors. I get 6 with it being only my 2nd week also there isn't many team members so therefore everybody gets pushed between 8-11 doors to control. I have a congenital back disease that I've been diagnosed with since I was 10 and some days are harder to keep up with the work loads. I personally would find it easier for myself to unload a truck and throwing things on a one place belt vs having to run up and down a ladder carrying every bit of 40+ lbs and reaching up to areas I have a hard time with considering I'm on the shorter side. The area over all is causing a lot of extra stress and anxiety on me and finding it hard to keep up with just a 50% workload let alone when they push me to 100% plus our manager is definitely harder on us. I can manage physical work but this was nowhere what I would imagine it to be.

The Dog is physically demanding. I didn't mind the heavy stuff and repetition as it was good exercise. I was lucky in that respect. It was just all the cuts, scrapes, bruises we got! Use a hand moisturizer, saves them from some cuts. Get a couple of pairs of Harbor Freight lined black work gloves. They used to be about 2 bucks a pair. A pair would last me a couple of weeks. Just buy them yourself. They helped.

Fear of heights.
Heights is a warehouse thing. OB is outbound. Standing on the ground loading trailers.

My OB department at my place isn't just 4 doors. I get 6 with it being only my 2nd week also there isn't many team members so therefore everybody gets pushed between 8-11 doors to control. I have a congenital back disease that I've been diagnosed with since I was 10 and some days are harder to keep up with the work loads. I personally would find it easier for myself to unload a truck and throwing things on a one place belt vs having to run up and down a ladder carrying every bit of 40+ lbs and reaching up to areas I have a hard time with considering I'm on the shorter side. The area over all is causing a lot of extra stress and anxiety on me and finding it hard to keep up with just a 50% workload let alone when they push me to 100% plus our manager is definitely harder on us. I can manage physical work but this was nowhere what I would imagine it to be.
You still need to use a stepstool in Inbound as well. Whatever goes on I hope it works out for you I just want you to know the grass isn't greener on the other side. Working in art is going to be equally as physically demanding and if you have a back condition that prevents working hard this honestly isn't the job for you.
Not trying to be a dick I just hope you don't think it's going to be a walk in the park. Inbound is the sinfke most stressful department in the building and they hound you about numbers far worse because they absolutely cannot miss certain deadlines.

The only time I ever only had 4 doors in outbound is when I was also flex sorting noncon.

You still need to use a stepstool in Inbound as well. Whatever goes on I hope it works out for you I just want you to know the grass isn't greener on the other side. Working in art is going to be equally as physically demanding and if you have a back condition that prevents working hard this honestly isn't the job for you.
Not trying to be a dick I just hope you don't think it's going to be a walk in the park. Inbound is the sinfke most stressful department in the building and they hound you about numbers far worse because they absolutely cannot miss certain deadlines.
No no you're okay I would rather people be straight forward and honest with me as I have not personally talked to anybody there that has given me any information or helped me lead in the right direction. Everyone here knows better than I do so any advice or insight is appreciated. I have no problem with using the step stool whatsoever and also aware of things not always being greener on the other side.

The only time I ever only had 4 doors in outbound is when I was also flex sorting noncon.
Thats crazy. You guys must work in very small DCs.
During Q4 volume 4 is the norm. Often 3 doors only. Once I have seen 2 doors have enough volume to encompass 100%. One of them being a AAA+ of course.
And right now my DC is pushing Q4 volumes. We have been all year. My OB team is nearly at 70 team members right now to handle the flow.
What is your CPH for doors? Ours is (and as we all knows, the true answer is "what budget allows") but typically we are expected to run 500cph in doors. Maybe yours is higher?

Back