UnRehirable status

They really should tell people at orientation not to take gift cards left behind as it is stealing. Also not take them even when the guest gives it to them or a tip.

Keeping guests gift cards is an HR issue, not AP. I doubt charges will be filed. Which honestly should make the OP relieved. However, clearly we aren’t dealing with the brightest bulb, so..
When did it become an HR issue? I know someone that got arrested over keeping gift cards. Actually has happened several times in the past at the store I worked at.

Keeping guests gift cards is an HR issue, not AP. I doubt charges will be filed. Which honestly should make the OP relieved. However, clearly we aren’t dealing with the brightest bulb, so..

An employee stealing from guests on the clock and on the property in a position of cash handling is very much an AP issue. The store may not be able to file charges in all jurisdictions, but they can in many.

Have to disagree. Why would anyone think it's OK to keep something that has monetary value that clearly doesn't belong to them? It's theft.

Not to split hairs but I think it's because the guest didn't 'purchase' the gift card, it was a promo item.
The other thing is if they left it behind, the only 'crime' was that the TM didn't hand it to them.
Nebulous technicalities.

But I heard that taking these types of gifts cards are theft from Target instead of theft from guests because they weren't purchased, they were a promo item with real money on it that didn't get to the person Target designated.

But I heard that taking these types of gifts cards are theft from Target instead of theft from guests because they weren't purchased, they were a promo item with real money on it that didn't get to the person Target designated.
Also if the guest returns the item the value of the gift card is subtracted I believe.

OP: you've learned a very painful lesson about personal integrity. While Target may not have turned the matter over to the police, they could have done so. As a practical matter it was literally cheaper (for Target) to simply relieve you of your employment.

If anything of monetary value is "left behind" by a guest in a future workplace, even if it's "only" $5 or $10 gift cards, don't take it. You don't know if the "found item" could be a bait trap set for you by management to test your honesty and trustworthiness. You can ask the Big Boss (HR or the SD) if you have questions.

For your own future well-being, don't take stuff from work that doesn't belong to you.

Not to split hairs but I think it's because the guest didn't 'purchase' the gift card, it was a promo item.
The other thing is if they left it behind, the only 'crime' was that the TM didn't hand it to them.
Nebulous technicalities.
No, gift cards have full value as if guest returns items GC value is deducted. It is absolutely theft.

also being theft it is 100% ap issue.

Back