Archived Using Target Computer for Personal Use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a quick question! Are we allowed to use computers at Target (TSC or elsewhere) for personal use to some extent? I was just wondering because I would like to do my college homework while on break. I have tried and the site is accessible. Thoughts? :)

Just a quick question! Are we allowed to use computers at Target (TSC or elsewhere) for personal use to some extent? I was just wondering because I would like to do my college homework while on break. I have tried and the site is accessible. Thoughts? :)
No. They can only be used for official company business. You can be charged with stealing computer services. It happened to a TM at my store. AP put her in cuffs and the cops came.

Sometimes I'll print out a report paper or something as I need it. No one seems to care as long as your not hogging the computer.

Sometimes I'll print out a report paper or something as I need it. No one seems to care as long as your not hogging the computer.
I would check with AP before you do that. Next thing you know you will be pulled into a office.

Last edited:
some ppl use the fax machine (people still use faxes 0_0 ) in the morning in hrs office, but no one gives a durn

We've had students use the computers to take online exams, but they ask first. We also have team members download apps to the my devices and watch videos

We have one who will Word to type out her papers saving them to a thumb drive, but not the internet. Ask.. Worst they can say is "NO".

And I can totally believe they cuffed that one TM, it's called "Power tripping".

:rolleyes:

I'm calling BS. For one AP doesn't cuff TMs.
Also even if the TM got in trouble for personal use on a store computer it would be an HR policy violation, no?

I thought all target workstations were disabled from any type of portable drives with the inception of MySite.

:rolleyes:

I'm calling BS. For one AP doesn't cuff TMs.
Yes they do.....if we try to detain you for shoplifting and you try to flee you're being put in handcuffs. What do you think we are going to do? Oh it's okay go back to pushing the truck ?

Last edited:
I used to watch my store's sft, called pmt's now, look at car insurance, house insurance, and housing materials on the receiving computer all the time.

He flipped houses on the side. So he would use the free time he had to support that business.

Just for kicks, the receiving person and I would check the history on the tool bar.

But of course, nothing was ever done to stop him. Even if backstock was piled up or guests were waiting in lines.

Yes they do.....if we try to detain you for shoplifting and you try to flee you're being put in handcuffs. What do you think we are going to do? Oh it's okay go back to pushing the truck ?
Internal shoplifters will be cuffed in the rare occurrence they don't cooperate, much like a external shoplifter would.

You described a employee being cuffed and charged for abusing company resources. Oh and the police came.....for a civil dispute. Policy violation? Yea. Law broke? Not where I work.

I suggest you read up on what the difference between a civil issue and criminal offense is.

I swear the computers in the TSC used to work for general use but it was restricted to Target sites only a few months after I started working there. Only the computer in the ETL-AP's office had outside Internet access, which I was occasionally permitted to use because the ETL-AP and I were best friends.

Internal shoplifters will be cuffed in the rare occurrence they don't cooperate, much like a external shoplifter would.

You described a employee being cuffed and charged for abusing company resources. Oh and the police came.....for a civil dispute. Policy violation? Yea. Law broke? Not where I work.

I suggest you read up on what the difference between a civil issue and criminal offense is.
I suggest you read up on your state code. My state you can be charged. It's under the larceny code in my state. The state defines it as stealing since they didn't pay to use that service.

Last edited:
We have one who will Word to type out her papers saving them to a thumb drive, but not the internet. Ask.. Worst they can say is "NO".

And I can totally believe they cuffed that one TM, it's called "Power tripping".
Big security risk. That's how stuxnet got to an Iranian nuclear facility with no Internet connection. Say the student has a virus on their computer at home, it could easily get to the internal target network through that thumb drive. InsidePOS is on those computers, so a virus could look up transaction information (privacy violation). If target hasn't isolated the registers from the office computers properly the virus might also be able to get to the POS network. This is why many places just disable the USB ports on company computers, too big of a risk.

I thought Target disabled their USB ports a couple yrs back when MySite rolled out.

No. They can only be used for official company business. You can be charged with stealing computer services. It happened to a TM at my store. AP put her in cuffs and the cops came.
sheesh... cuffs seem like overkill but yea you cant use company equipment for personal use!

Big security risk. That's how stuxnet got to an Iranian nuclear facility with no Internet connection. Say the student has a virus on their computer at home, it could easily get to the internal target network through that thumb drive. InsidePOS is on those computers, so a virus could look up transaction information (privacy violation). If target hasn't isolated the registers from the office computers properly the virus might also be able to get to the POS network. This is why many places just disable the USB ports on company computers, too big of a risk.

Hey I wouldn't touch a spot PC with a 10ft pole, but that decision was up to leadership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back