Archived Using the walkies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a few questions re: walkies (while on the sales floor)

1. When I show up for a shift, should I announce on the walkie that I’m here? What’s the most effective way to do that?
2. Do I have to say when I’m taking my breaks and lunch over the walking?
3. When my shift is done, should I say I’m leaving?
4. How close do you have to be to the microphone part of the walkie?

Thank you for all your help

1. You can if you want, it's not really necessary or mandatory, but helps when you are the next electronics person or such.

2. Helps TL's ETL's and STL's know if and area needs to be covered

3. Most LOD's have the sheet that says who is where and for how long, but it again helps them know when an area will be vacant like the backroom

4. Hold your arm in front of your face like you are flexing your bicep, that is far enough. Anything closer and you will sound garbled.

Depends if your STL/ETL/TL enforces that kind of rule. If they do, go ahead and say along the lines of, “LOD/ETL [inserts name here]/TL [inserts name here] this is [insert your name] from [insert your department] reporting in.”

For breaks and lunches, it would be the same wording except of “reporting in”, it would be “taking my first/last break/lunch.”

And when you’re done with your shift, same thing I said above but replace it with “heading out” instead. ASANTS so try asking your leaders if it’s mandatory or appreciated to do this.

As for distance, an inch or 2 away is a safe distance to be heard clearly.

Make sure you say who you're calling at the beginning and end of your call

"John, come in, John?"

Sometimes the beginning is cut off. Annoying to hear "..come in?" ........ "come in?" over and over. Make sure they respond before asking them to switch channels too. Be specific if calling for an area. "Come in sales floor?" will get no response, but "come in toys?" will.

Make sure you say who you're calling at the beginning and end of your call

"John, come in, John?"

Sometimes the beginning is cut off. Annoying to hear "..come in?" ........ "come in?" over and over. Make sure they respond before asking them to switch channels too. Be specific if calling for an area. "Come in sales floor?" will get no response, but "come in toys?" will.

This. A million times over. You'll be waiting a long time for a response if you just ask for someone in hardlines. Ask for someone in the specific area so even if no one is there someone nearby can answer.

Edit: Just listen to what other people at your store say and you'll get the hang of it.

No one really says on the walkie that their leaving (at least in our store) but what you can do and LODs will appreciate this. is if you status with them regarding your workload before you leave. like what you got done and what you have left to do.

Everything said is spot on - just remember the One Goddamn Rule...

DON'T say one single syllable IF you aren't pressing the button FIRST!

Worst way to answer walkie calls : “GAHEAD”.
Second worst way to answer walkie calls : “Call for me”.
Pet peeve : full on conversations on channel 1
Eye roll for every “I’m out for the day” - like we are all going to miss you or are u rubbing it in ?
Sure fire way to piss people off : call them, and after they answer, don’t say anything. Aaarrrgggg.

Eye roll for every “I’m out for the day” - like we are all going to miss you or are u rubbing it in ?
Sure fire way to piss people off : call them, and after they answer, don’t say anything. Aaarrrgggg.

What's wrong with go ahead?

The walkie tend to pick up a 1/4th of what is said so often you have to ask "did someone call for NGK?"

I'm not gonna argue the out for the day thing but some stores the LOD like to know your not in the building in case of emergency

Agreed.
Can be hard to hear if the call was for or not, so no problem with someone asking.
Hard agree. Looking at you softlines.
Do it all the time if I don't see my lead on the way out. They like to know who is and isn't in the building.
Oh yeah.

My favorite comment of the thread! Omg totally hashtag my store to everything you just stated LOL! The only thing that bothers me is when team members ask where something is and the whole convo on channel one thats my 2 main huge pet peeves!
For example when a tm asks where is mirrors? where is clocks? where is this and this and this like every 2 min on the walkie!

My favorite comment of the thread! Omg totally hashtag my store to everything you just stated LOL! The only thing that bothers me is when team members ask where something is and the whole convo on channel one thats my 2 main huge pet peeves!
For example when a tm asks where is mirrors? where is clocks? where is this and this and this like every 2 min on the walkie!
Hit'em with the chorus to The Pixies' "Where Is My Mind?" next time lol.

I fucking hate the walkies. I Leave every day with a pounding headache because of all the chatter alone. Not to mention my one annoying ass LOD who keeps intercepting every 30 seconds to ask what’s the status have you completed this or that’s task yet? I want him to get fired so bad.

A LOT of leaders like to run the store from their walkies instead of physically moving around to actually see for themselves. NOT cool and VERY lazy on their part.

I know of many TMs who walked into the bathrooms with TALK pressed. Don't be that TM.

HOW is that even possible?

Another good idea is when you're walkieing for A/B/C/D to clarify what letter you're saying, especially for B, C, and D. At my store, the go-to is A as in apple, B as in boy, C as in cat, and D as in dog.
This. Especially if you start talking before you hit the button B/C/D/E will all sound the same

At my store:

1. Yes, as it lets whoever is in charge of the floor know you're there. We just say something like "This is IWishIKnew, and I'm on the floor"
2. Yes.
3. Yes
4. You can actually push the talk button while it's in its holster on your waist and it'll pick up your voice, but I usually go for a foot or so away from my face. Feels weird not to be holding it (and if you need to go to a different channel, it's handier to be holding it, anyway).

It really depends on your leaders as others are saying, when I was a GSTL we just announced over the walkie “LOD and Salesfloor this is (name), going on a (15/lunch). X is watching the lanes.”

Also when we were heading out for the day, primarily for the opening GSTL, “LOD and Salesfloor this is (name), I’m heading out for the day and X is watching the lanes. (Typically followed by ‘have a great night’ or something similar)”

Also did the same thing for electronics when I was back there, but obviously switched the departments in my announcement.

Unrelated but... What is the button on the side for, on the side opposite the headset jack?
B8494138-828A-48F3-A1AD-9C45AC32F7C2.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back