Vendors overstocking

I am new to the food and beverage world.
There was no TL for several months, and the vendors took advantage of it( I think).
Do you accept NOP products? We seem to be the dump area, whatever they have left, we get it, and tons of it.Nabisco , PF, Frito lay etc..
I just set up new endcaps, and vendors are just over stuffing them, or it is totally empty …no middle ground here.
Usually 2 guys from same company corner me to “sell” me their product and need space for it, is it on planogram? No? I don’t want it.. they don’t take no for an answer easily ..
one wine vendor complained to the receiver that I didn’t want his stack set up ( false, didn’t want his stack in P fresh ) and showed him where to put it!
receiver who thinks she is my boss sent me an angry email!
so what do you do? What’s best practice?

Best practice is not accepting Nop and you need to let your v receiver know not to receive it , they buy the space for the product that’s on plano and not for them to use it as they please. Also you need to let them know no overstocking if the plano says one facing or two stacks that’s all that it is. You need to get with their rep and let them know not to order more than whats needed and that your store won’t be their backstock area and your shelfs are not for them to use it as they please with nop. If they can’t sustain the plano with the product then you advise that plano will be broken and next plano goes up .

Thank you!
apparently nabisco dumped 8 full cases of NOP on my store, my receiver is not happy that I won’t let it go on my shelves.

Your receiver doesn’t make the plano . However your receiver needs to do vendor credit and send it back.
I think she doesn’t want to actually do her job.
I am auditing the vendors products, and will submit a list for them to remove.

It does seem like vendors have taken advantage of your situation, but sometimes you will be forced to take in NOP product. As a receiver I give pushback on everything that isn't part of a regular delivery.

At least for me it's obvious when we have to accept nop product that we did not receive a direct email from upper management. Nabisco for example has NOS orders that come from HQ that will be a mix of salesplanner and nop product. My rep knows to cancel when possible the nop product, but Nabisco releases a limited edition oreo every other month and I know I have to accept it even though it is NOP.

As long as you are on top of communication such as email, inventory updates, and the weekly soda vendor updates then you don't have to accept what they are wanting. For my store any nop product issues is usually because upper management wants our store to participate in something they setup, but always forget about an exit strategy.

Mostly no. If they bring in something I didn’t OK I will kick their orders until it is gone. Have done that a couple times this year.

That said, if they have endcap space they can flex in another flavor IF they OK it with me and if they have demonstrated competency at keeping their stuff full. So if Monster has an end Coke can bring in a new or seasonal flavor even if it’s NOP. But Bang can’t because that distributor is useless.

Back