very sad

my doggie died today. she was 14 years old. and it's my fault.
we have a pool. it's fenced in. i never dreamed she would be able to get to the pool. my daughter started screaming when she went into the backyard to pick flowers. she thought there was a wild animal in the pool. i went and unlocked the gate and knew before i got there what had happened. dont know how cocoa got in there to begin with, but im horrified and so sad. and then i think "what if it was my kid". the pool's gotta go somehow. it's so very quiet without my crazy chihuahua barking and running around like crazy. :(

Dek, I'm so sorry to hear that :(
I know you said the pool's gotta go, but have you looked into one of those alarms that go off when something breaks the surface of the water? They won't go off for stuff like leaves, it has to be something big enough to make a "splash" or significant ripple, like a child or animal. I don't think they're very expensive...

Edited to add: I wouldn't blame yourself, either. You said you had to unlock the gate and don't know how she got in there. It truly doesn't sound like it was your fault, like you did anything negligent. I know you miss her, but beating yourself up over it isn't going to bring her back :(

Last edited: