Archived violence in the workplace...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go to your HR first, give them a chance investigate it. If need be take it to your STL, if anything you AP-TL is going to be involved from the get-go.

I called tonight to get the ball rolling. ETL-HR wasn't available but the STL was so I explained the situation to her. I told her to call me back when she decided what to do.

She calls back an hour later and she definitely wants to sit down with the team member who made the threat, even though they are seasonal and are not going to be hired on. I suppose it's all in their hands now, if you guys don't see any more posts from me you'll know what happened ;)

Last edited:
I called tonight to get the ball rolling. ETL-HR wasn't available but the STL was so I explained the situation to her. I told her to call me back when she decided what to do.

She calls back an hour later and she definitely wants to sit down with the team member who made the threat, even though they are seasonal and are not going to be hired on. I suppose it's all in their hands now, if you guys don't see any more posts from me you'll know what happened ;)

Dude - I don't know what happened, but I got the feeling of what it is.

Don't show up to work until this guy is termed. I am not kidding. I interviewed a ton of seasonal hires, and I know at my store we even hired a guy that had a prior conviction for armed robbery. A lot of these ghetto thugs we hired for seasonal have some serious problems, and they don't play. If they threatened to kill you there is probably at least a 10% chance they will follow through. Again, I would stay home even if you get a coaching for it. How much is your life worth?

Perhaps talk to your STL (you already have) and ask to stay away until TM is gone, for your safety.

"I'm calling her first thing in the morning, she will NOT pull him into the office to lecture him on threatening me and THEN make us work together the entire night. I keep going over scenarios in my head and they all end with me getting shanked. "

Oh sh**. If that is what she is planning that is even worse. This would probably piss him off to the extreme for two reasons - 1. He is now in trouble. 2. You ratted him out. That is the cardinal sin of guys like this, and if he is a gang member or any kind of thug they normally will either seriously fu** up a snitch, or kill them. Remember your STL is a naive person pulling in 100K a year. She has zero association with guys like this in her own life, and probably has no idea what they are capable of or the rules they live by. Her plan is basically like bringing a crip and a blood in a room for a meeting. It is blood bath waiting to happen.

Oh sh**. If that is what she is planning that is even worse. This would probably piss him off to the extreme for two reasons - 1. He is now in trouble. 2. You ratted him out. That is the cardinal sin of guys like this, and if he is a gang member or any kind of thug they normally will either seriously fu** up a snitch, or kill them. Remember your STL is a naive person pulling in 100K a year. She has zero association with guys like this in her own life, and probably has no idea what they are capable of or the rules they live by. Her plan is basically like bringing a crip and a blood in a room for a meeting. It is blood bath waiting to happen.

Yeah I imagine him just walking out, then coming back late at night when I'm outside getting carts. Look a blinking target to run over with my car!

Yeah, we are BOTH scheduled to close tomorrow evening, and the thought of me not coming in for my own safety would never occur to the STL. I'm a little torn at this point, but this guy is sketchy as all hell, I've always thought that about him.

If I call out, I will get coached, there is no one to cover my shift. The ETL's better have my back..

edit: screw this, I'm calling her first thing in the morning, she will NOT pull him into the office to lecture him on threatening me and THEN make us work together the entire night. I keep going over scenarios in my head and they all end with me getting shanked.

G-d I hope your E's aren't that stupid but you never know.
Do go to work but yea talk to them first.
Make your concerns known in a clear and concise fashion without a bunch of histrionics.
Then if they don't get your point and make a healthy decision, go home.
They have an obligation to make you feel safe in your workplace.

I don't know what the full contents of this thread are (the beginning message simply says "problem resolved"), but I have also been having troubles with a TM and the upper-echolen staff (ETL-HR, the integrity hotline, etc.) have been useless. This guy has threatened me multiple times and has generally acted in a unprofessional manner towards me and others, and their only remedy is to "talk to him". The last time he threatened me, I got written up as well for defending myself. Maybe your STL and ETLs are more useful and responsive than mine are, and forget about corporate, all they do is record it and kick it back down to HR.

I don't know what the full contents of this thread are (the beginning message simply says "problem resolved"), but I have also been having troubles with a TM and the upper-echolen staff (ETL-HR, the integrity hotline, etc.) have been useless. This guy has threatened me multiple times and has generally acted in a unprofessional manner towards me and others, and their only remedy is to "talk to him". The last time he threatened me, I got written up as well for defending myself. Maybe your STL and ETLs are more useful and responsive than mine are, and forget about corporate, all they do is record it and kick it back down to HR.
Document events & talk to your stl without delay. Make sure they understand the seriousness of the situation. Your mgt maybe building a case against that tm without your knowledge.
Don't call hotline.

It's probably too late for that; the latest incident occurred around a month or so ago. I initially called the hotline right away, since I had had problems in the past (including one other threat) and HR's response was tepid, to say the least (again, they "talked to him"). I was hoping that would help, but all they did was record it and kick it back down. I suspect that was the real reason why I got written up (going above my local HR). Now, they are conducting the schedule to ensure that we aren't on together, but I am hoping that my hours aren't getting cut as a consequence. I feel like I'm caught between a rock and a hard place; in the event of another confrontation, which is only a matter of time with this guy, I can either go right to HR or my ETL (and they'll talk to him again) and I'll feel like a victim, or stay and hold my ground, go toe-to-toe with the guy (which I am leaning towards, I refuse to be threatened anymore) and probably lose my job.

The main reason I edited out all the info in the first post is the whole situation has been SEVERELY escalated. This being a public forum I don't really want anyone seeing it who might not need to. I don't regret posting any of it though, since you guys did talk me into actually doing something about it. They are NOT going to go to the team member about the incident, he is being termed for other reasons anyways. Bad thing is, the STL WAS ready to go talk to the team member about the incident, but the AP-TL had enough sense to talk her out of it.

Thanks for all the support guys.

Cool, glad to hear that somebody with common sense prevailed watchdog.
Also happy to hear that everything is working out for you.
Have to agree with Harldlinesmaster that you might want to keep an eye over you shoulder for the next few days.
Might I suggest a chunk of PVC pipe capped off on both ends and half filled with BB's.
You can get everything at Home Depo or Lowes and it doesn't cost much.

Target00, be ready to document & talk to your hr, if anything happens. Don't call the hotline, let your mgt address it & spot will handle it.
9000, we are glad to help. The issue is resolve. But, be safe, please. A cashier was killed at spot in nc, because of boyfriend/ex husband who she broke.
Fs, please close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back