Vive la résistance! (Or, How I learned to stop worrying and stick it to the man)

can't touch this

Store Meme Leader
Hi guys, your favorite poster here with another fun thread. So we all know modernization at Target has been a total shitshow at a lot of stores and has turned formerly easy or manageable tasks into tedious, convoluted Rube Goldberg-esque undertakings. But I've learned from my 15 years of working in retail that no matter what company you're at, HQ will always be out there trying to make your job more difficult and your life more miserable, and realized that if I want to get anything done ever, the rules must sometimes (often) be bent until they break.

True enlightenment is realizing that rule breaking isn't always done for unethical or illegal reasons, and that some rules are necessary, some are downright redundant for anybody with common sense, and many are stupid and arbitrary and nothing but a hindrance to the very job that the rule makers expect us to do.

In this thread, we share stories about those times when we deliberately ignored a stupid policy or two and the store, office, department, division, workcenter, etc. was better off because of it. Doesn't have to be specifically Target-related.

Mine would have to be at my last job at the grocery store, the same place that I worked at with "Bob" later as detailed in the Worst Boss thread. I was the only night cashier and when I first started in that role, the cash office gave me a supervisor barcode for my badge so I could use supervisor functions like price change, return/refund, void payment, etc. This saved the supervisor from having to step away from stocking the truck 10,000 times to override everything himself, which was great because we had a very small crew, no hours and big trucks every night and couldn't afford any delays. Well one day corporate found out about non-supervisors having override barcodes and got mad as fuck, and they disabled mine and told the night manager that he had to override all supervisor prompts himself and anyone else caught doing it would be written up. The supervisor simply handed me one of his spare badges and told me to hide it under the register behind the trash can. After Bob got promoted I made a point of calling for an override for every 6th prompt and used my secret badge for the rest, so that we only wasted a little bit of time instead of a lot of time, and so Bob wouldn't notice that I had it. It worked out great and neither Bob nor corporate were ever the wiser.

They also made a new policy where I was to card absolutely everybody who purchased cigarettes and alcohol no matter what age they appeared to be, even if they had a cane or a walker and a World War II Veteran hat. I ignored this one too and carded people who looked under 25 or those I wasn't sure about, and never carded anyone who was obviously over 18/21. Ain't got time for that SHIT tho. The cops frequently hit this store with undercover stings to catch cashiers who sold booze and smokes to minors and busted quite a few of them, but they never busted me once in 4 years...because I didn't sell to minors. Huh...wow.

Your turn!

TTGOz

"Suit"-able
When the old Sr. Etl food decided we weren't pushing a single pallet out onto the floor ever again and made us break 12 pallets down every morning in a cramped Stock room.

On days she didnt work, we pushed that shit to the floor. Understaffed, underscheduled, no way were we spending time clearing backroom space to break down and then another 45 minutes breaking the load down. When she left it was magical

Not a Target thing. Both my boss & I would have been in hot water had it been found out. The Big Cheese's schedule was posted on the office network but only a few people had access to it, my boss being one of them. Happened one day that some extremely important documents almost didn't get signed in time because Mr. Cheese was out of town. (This was a government thing, where certain things have to be done by certain times or the whole world comes crashing down.) After that near-disaster, my boss gave me the password so I could also access Mr. Cheese's schedule so we wouldn't have a repeat of that series of events. And we didn't either because I stayed on top of it. Just had to remember to keep my mouth shut about things I wasn't supposed to know about.

My STL absolutely hates me, but in a Mean Girls sort of way, so she acts like we're best friends. She's always emphasizing that TMs should be asking for the new lids at Starbucks, and I still always get the old ones with straws. I think the whole "straw ban" thing is ridiculous, but I am literally 90% motivated to do this because of her. I will use the old lids until Starbucks no longer uses them.

Yes, I know it's petty. I don't care.

I brake 2 of the main new rules with modernization 1 the no bowling pallets rule every single night I take the pallets out and well it’s faster and 2 I scan my double trucks .And my stl ask how I got it done so quick . I told him if he really wants to know is look at the camera . Is my way or my way .

seasonaldude

Waiting for your kid to get out of my way in toys
I have started a new form of protest: the excellent, going way above and beyond, guest service protest. Giving me fewer hours and expecting me to get more work done? Let's face it that's not happening and even less is going to get done because I'm going to service the crap out of guests. Since there are hardly any hardlines TMs on the floor and now sometimes it's just me, guests find me constantly and I'm servicing the shit right out of them. Tonight I helped one old lady with Cartwheel for half an hour. Literally. First she needed to delete some other stuff on her phone. I helped her with that. Then her internet was slow. It took 7 minutes just to download the app and with all that crap on her phone it took another couple minutes to install. Next she had to get a Target account. She didn't have an email and had to call her husband to get his. Then, there was the time spent to teach an obvious technology challenged guest how to use the app to get deals.

Hey, in the end she saved $2 on sheets and I made my $6 bread. Works for me. Oh, those 3-4 domestics repack boxes that didn't get done as a result? *Looks at 2 week out schedule* Not my fucking problem. LOD can't say shit. I WAS WITH A GUEST!

My STL absolutely hates me, but in a Mean Girls sort of way, so she acts like we're best friends. She's always emphasizing that TMs should be asking for the new lids at Starbucks, and I still always get the old ones with straws. I think the whole "straw ban" thing is ridiculous, but I am literally 90% motivated to do this because of her. I will use the old lids until Starbucks no longer uses them.

Yes, I know it's petty. I don't care.
The sippy cup lids suck ass to be fair

Militantagnostic

Former associate of the Targetti Crime Syndicate
Hey, in the end she saved $2 on sheets and I made my $6 bread. Works for me. Oh, those 3-4 domestics repack boxes that didn't get done as a result? *Looks at 2 week out schedule* Not my fucking problem. LOD can't say shit. I WAS WITH A GUEST!
"Hey, Seasonaldude, could you go to 3, why haven't you finished pushing!? Don't you know you should perfect human cloning, overcome the moral/ethical dilemmas, and use it to clone yourself so you can create multiple versions of yourself that are subservient to Target management to get this push done, you're better shape up 'cause there are gonna be some pretty high expectations when $15 comes around!"- LOD

I have started a new form of protest: the excellent, going way above and beyond, guest service protest. Giving me fewer hours and expecting me to get more work done? Let's face it that's not happening and even less is going to get done because I'm going to service the crap out of guests. Since there are hardly any hardlines TMs on the floor and now sometimes it's just me, guests find me constantly and I'm servicing the shit right out of them. Tonight I helped one old lady with Cartwheel for half an hour. Literally. First she needed to delete some other stuff on her phone. I helped her with that. Then her internet was slow. It took 7 minutes just to download the app and with all that crap on her phone it took another couple minutes to install. Next she had to get a Target account. She didn't have an email and had to call her husband to get his. Then, there was the time spent to teach an obvious technology challenged guest how to use the app to get deals.

One of the better ideas I've heard in my life.

They really should just get rid of cartwheel. It's a nuisance. It really shouldn't be this hard to get a good deal. You have people on their phones walking around clogging up aisles, bumping into things. They should at least make it easier.....have all the coupons load automatically instead of scanning each individual item.

Black Sheep 214

Kiss no butts, give no fox
Cartwheel is a PITA. Same thing to a lesser degree with coupons. I guess Spot wants to limit the number of guests who get the good deals, or they would just put things on sale like they did back in the day, program the terminals to catch the discounts and speed up the process. 🙄

Amanda Cantwell

Guest Service & Photo
Cartwheel is a PITA. Same thing to a lesser degree with coupons. I guess Spot wants to limit the number of guests who get the good deals, or they would just put things on sale like they did back in the day, program the terminals to catch the discounts and speed up the process. 🙄
The whole point of Cartwheel is the same as coupons. You have to do a little work to get the discount. You have to let Target see your shopping habits.