Archived Vmtl/Vm's: Do You Dress Nicer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Technically, I'm told, Softlines tm's are all "stylists" and the E2E meant phasing out much of the VM team. But I am still getting moved into VM shifts and have been made a captain for style. (A fancy way of being given reponsiblities with no official promotion.) My question is, do Vmtl/vm's tend to look more. dressed up in other stores? My old Vmtl did, and so did visiting Vm's. Just curious what the norm is.

Can't speak for other stores, but ours typically dresses nice.

Technically, I'm told, Softlines tm's are all "stylists" and the E2E meant phasing out much of the VM team. But I am still getting moved into VM shifts and have been made a captain for style. (A fancy way of being given reponsiblities with no official promotion.) My question is, do Vmtl/vm's tend to look more. dressed up in other stores? My old Vmtl did, and so did visiting Vm's. Just curious what the norm is.

stores still have visual merchandisers, you should see about transferring/promoting into it

I "dress up"..... if that's what you want to call it. I always wear red tops, blouses, layers, etc. No plain tees for me. And I always accessorize. Always. My hair is "done" everyday. Cosmetics too. Other VM(L?TL?) at my neighboring stores dress the part as well. I "encourage" the TMs do take their own personal style up a notch, if they can. I know it's not affordable to all, I promise there is no pressure. But I make sure to deliver a genuine compliment when they add a little style to their wardrobe. My Style TL is another story altogether........ she looks like she's never been introduced to hair products before, her makeup is always smeared ( I just assume she cries a lot?) and her clothes are simply red and khaki sausage casings. Sister, puh-leeeeez.

I don't think we really have one

Ours became the Softlines team lead when the old team lead became the Market TL, and she never really dressed up nicely lol

I also tend to be dressed up on my day to day. Hair done, make up/nails, some type of nice blouse. I rarely wear a plain tee/top and running shoes. If anyone see me in that it usually means I was busting butt super early in the am with fixture blocking for big sets and likely won't get much face time with guests before I leave for the day.

Others in my district go full out with jewelry, heels or booties, make up etc. I'm not there yet lol but jewelry here and there has happened more often.

Our VM doesn't get along with our SLTL but she dresses like Janis in mean girls. However, extremely good at what she does.

Honestly I have no clue! I just say more power to them if they can deal! I wore little booties for a visit recently. My work that day was floor checks/touch up/ couple manniqun updates and the visit it's self. My feet were screaming.

Dresses nicer but still has ugly tattoos that show and that butt crack, well.

Our VM always dresses up: hair and makeup done, nice red blouse that’s layered with a cardigan sometimes, and usually skinny jeans.

I do dress nicely while at work. It’s part of my job to know trends, so I feel that dressing the part is important to my role. My store expects the softlines TL to do the same and we are working on the rest of the softlines team’s “personal brand” as well.

Both the VMLs I've met refuse to wear Target clothing, which seems a bit.. odd to me. What do you say when a guest comes up to you, tells you how much they like your clothing, and asks you where they can find it? "Not here," says the Target employee responsible for getting guests to buy things at Target.

Well, that's just rude ! I try hard to "represent"....... or at the very least, I don't ever snub our fashion, especially to a Guest.

I do dress nicely while at work. It’s part of my job to know trends, so I feel that dressing the part is important to my role. My store expects the softlines TL to do the same and we are working on the rest of the softlines team’s “personal brand” as well.

If your store "expects" the softness team to dress the part, are they chipping in on clothing? "Personal Brand"? Ha ha ha! Our VML looks like a $1 streetwalker, Sure she has makeup on, I think she applies it with a putty knife. Her low cut way too tight shirts look would have gotten you sent home to change previously. The kicker are her heels. You work in a discount retail store. Sure you can and should look your best. However there is a big difference in what clothing some people can afford to "dress the part" and maintaining a "personal brand. What your store is telling you is that if you don't fit into a certain look you are unable to sell cheap clothing made in a different country. Clean wrinkle free red and khaki and good personal grooming/hygiene is the expectation. VMLs are not anymore important than anyone else in the store. I will not add to the inflated ego mine has.

If your store "expects" the softness team to dress the part, are they chipping in on clothing? "Personal Brand"? Ha ha ha! Our VML looks like a $1 streetwalker, Sure she has makeup on, I think she applies it with a putty knife. Her low cut way too tight shirts look would have gotten you sent home to change previously. The kicker are her heels. You work in a discount retail store. Sure you can and should look your best. However there is a big difference in what clothing some people can afford to "dress the part" and maintaining a "personal brand. What your store is telling you is that if you don't fit into a certain look you are unable to sell cheap clothing made in a different country. Clean wrinkle free red and khaki and good personal grooming/hygiene is the expectation. VMLs are not anymore important than anyone else in the store. I will not add to the inflated ego mine has.

Well said!

Our VML dresses nice, but he always has. The thing I like is that he works really hard. He will run around, even offering to back-up cashier and work Starbucks to keep the team on the sales floor first to service guests. He has decades of merchandising experience and just as much of that time has been spent in a leadership role, so my store got very lucky. I've heard of other stores having had several VMLs that never work out.

Sounds like a former co-worker of mine! We left the other company a few years back to come to Target as VMs. Great Leader, years upon years of Visual Merchandising. And..... he used to work at a Starbucks ! We live in different states, we used to travel a lot together w/ the other company..... I miss that guy; he's awesome!

I "dress up"..... if that's what you want to call it. I always wear red tops, blouses, layers, etc. No plain tees for me. And I always accessorize. Always. My hair is "done" everyday. Cosmetics too. Other VM(L?TL?) at my neighboring stores dress the part as well. I "encourage" the TMs do take their own personal style up a notch, if they can. I know it's not affordable to all, I promise there is no pressure. But I make sure to deliver a genuine compliment when they add a little style to their wardrobe. My Style TL is another story altogether........ she looks like she's never been introduced to hair products before, her makeup is always smeared ( I just assume she cries a lot?) and her clothes are simply red and khaki sausage casings. Sister, puh-leeeeez.

Dress shirts have collars. I can wear a tie with a dress shirt.
Polo shirts have collars. I can wear a tie with a polo shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back