Archived Volunteer events required for TLs/HR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Marley

Team Member
So I've noticed that every time a Target sponsored volunteer event (i.e. Food Bank, Habitat for Humanity, etc.) gets posted in my TSC, it's 90% team leads and HR TMs who signup for it. I wish I could say that they're all just great people doing it out of the kindness of their hearts, but I know some of them who wouldn't be caught dead helping someone out for free :rolleyes:.

Team leads or HRTMs, is this a requirement or just encouraged, and is it the same at your store? Also, as a GSA trying to get on the bench for GSTL, do you think volunteer events could help my "image" as a leader in the eyes of my ETL GE?

In my last years with TGT, I saw the same TLs being told of the events while TMs had to stay in store.

hr usually coordinates events so hr tm usually help out if they can.

as to tl's i've never been forced to participate. but usually as you said its the tl's so its a chance to do some good and hang out with friends from work. usually they do kick in a free meal, and i'm a sucker for free food.

Eh, it's nice to hang out with the people you work with in a non-work setting sometimes. I enjoy volunteer work so I sign up whenever possible.

Not required but encouraged. Something your ETL-HR gets scored on, I believe, is the store's community involvement hours.

The last time I participated in a volunteer event it was to clean up a park.
Several of us picked up garbage, raked leaves, weed-whacked, fixed a stone path, etc while the 'pets' & leaders goofed around & took pics of each other.
At the end we gathered for a group shot next to the bags of trash & leaves we'd (some of us) collected; the leaders & pets were in the middle & the rest of us off to the sides.
When they posted the pics, they'd been cropped down to the leaders & pets.
I stopped volunteering after that.

We had that explained as time to go to the doctor hours. I normally use it for taking my mom to appointments.
Yeah that's how I was told to use it too. But people on here suggested I use it for anything instead of letting it go unused. So I used it along with some vacation hours when I went on vacation earlier this year. The HRTM accepted it without a problem.

I volunteered to go to one of the inner-city schools and rebuild their library.
It was a major deal.
I signed up months in advance, got the day off accordingly, and the PTL was going to give me a ride.
I showed up at the store that morning to catch my ride only to find out they had crossed me and a couple of other TMs off the list because "there wasn't enough space".
I never volunteered for anything again.

The events at my store usually end up being TMs, STL, ETL-HR, ETL-Salesfloor HR TM while all the seniors + ETL-Log have to stay and run the store with a terrible grid because they let TMs already scheduled go volunteer instead of finding backfills. :rolleyes:

Wellbeing pay, AKA go home and get paid to play video games for a few hours pay.

We have pretty good variety of who volunteers. There are some who like to do as many as they can, and some who only do one or two.

I've regularly volunteered for a local literacy organization for years and since working for the big red one those hours have give towards the store's volunteer goal. We got a party paid by district last year because we made 54% of our yearly goal by the end of Q2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back