Archived Volunteering at another store (and the art of confrontation).

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few employees have asked me if I'm going over to another store to help them out. I said no. To one person, I said no because my former head ETL works there. Every other day I worked there he gave me hell. Justified or not, if a person makes you feel that uncomfortable and you bully them all the time, does it make sense to go to a store where you'll run into them?

No. At least not to me.

I tend to get away from situations like that as much as possible. Is that bad?

A few employees have asked me if I'm going over to another store to help them out. I said no. To one person, I said no because my former head ETL works there. Every other day I worked there he gave me hell. Justified or not, if a person makes you feel that uncomfortable and you bully them all the time, does it make sense to go to a store where you'll run into them?

No. At least not to me.

We just had an ETL promote up and transfer to another nearby store. For that reason, I (and likely most of the team members in my store) would have to be extremely desperate for hours to consider going to that store to help out. Sometimes staying away from unhealthy situations is the best thing we can do for ourselves. And there is nothing wrong with self care.

No. At least not to me.

We just had an ETL promote up and transfer to another nearby store. For that reason, I (and likely most of the team members in my store) would have to be extremely desperate for hours to consider going to that store to help out. Sometimes staying away from unhealthy situations is the best thing we can do for ourselves. And there is nothing wrong with self care.

See, some team members like to defend him. I don't.

Then again, I'm supposed to think I deserved the treatment I got.

Yeah, could be for a number of reasons: if the store is in bad shape, has a very important visit coming up, lost a number of team members in a short amount of time, had a team event, a TM died and the store went to their funeral, etc. Of course it's not actual volunteering; you still get paid for it and you still have to be under 40 hours unless it's approved.

Totally justifiable... I would have to be rather desperate to volunteer to work at my old store as well.

We had people come work at our store when they were displace by Super Storm Sandy and we went to help set up a store that had been damaged.

Working at other stores is always fun! I spent time at 3 different stores during BTS/jet visits. Host stores were always super appreciative of our help, and we always had fun.

I transferred to a store in another district, but my original store called me several times and had me come back and help out in pharmacy/photo when they needed help.

Sounds like the cons outweigh the pros. Stay away...for your own peace of mind. You don't have to prove anything to anyone (or be a martyr by walking like a lamb to slaughter). Other situations may come up at another store you might be able to volunteer at--this might be a good time to pass an opportunity up.

I have worked at a couple of stores in the past for BTC. Back in the day we would go and work, as many 48 hours. It was kind of fun to go at another store. Always got to go to eateries that we do not have in our town. Last time we did this I was not super impressed, as they wanted us to work 10am to 8:30pm everyday. Also they wanted us to 6 days in row. The OT would have been nice, but I really did not want to cashier for 10 hours. We talked to our STL and he helped to get that changed. We were not even suppose to go to this store, as ours was short handed, but at the last minute the DTL made our STL send 3 of us. Also I saw a few people come to work there, even though they were really sick. One gal came in early to help finish the truck and work pulls and then came back in the evening to play GSTL and looks like she might just drop at any minute. Moral at this store was very low and I am sure they lost a few folks after BTC (they quit).

Store support isn't as popular as it used to be.

Usually smaller volume stores will help larger stores by sending TMs to cashier, salesfloor, or unload trucks.

When we had a code red a while back, a couple nearby stores sent us support help to defect out the affected merchandise.

I was once offered an opportunity to help push the truck at a nearby low-volume store, but I had to decline because I couldn't do 4AM when I was in school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back