Archived Wage increases to $15 hour!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had several years worth of raises wiped out when the base pay went up to $9. Then again when it went up to $10. Now again when it's going up to $11. The first two times, I had multiple years of EX merit raises completely gone and I was brought up to the bare minimum that everyone else made, even the ones who got the lowest raise. This time, I'll be making a whole $.14 more than people who just started, despite a couple more years of good raises. I've worked my ass off. I've worked at two stores and haven't met a team member who can compete with me in terms of productivity, dedication, and attitude. But you know what? These raises still increase my paycheck every week. Is it fair? Hell no. I should be making twice what some of these incompetent fools make. But I don't care about them. I care about my own wallet. Hopefully the higher wages will attract the occasional applicant with a triple digit IQ, but I'll keep busting my ass and keeping my store afloat until then because I like my job and they decided to increase my pay for no reason.

Yeah I get people feel like their hard earned raises are lost but I feel that the more target pays the more we can expect to acquire competent talent.

Other people making more doesn't cause me to make less.

Honestly, I think that time and experience should be rewarded. Next month it will be 9 years that I have been with target. I think that I deserve to be paid more then anyone else just starting out in the same paygrade. I just think it's common sense. But, then again they hire fresh out of college graduates with barely any retail experience to be etl's just because they went to college. Then those same etl's are asking you how to do simple things like using a my device or pda.

Other people making more doesn't cause me to make less.

I keep telling myself that over and over and over and over and over...

Honestly, I think that time and experience should be rewarded.

I keep telling myself that over and over and over and over and over...

aaf_dur.gif

12 years in and I make .01 over my first day. Starting I got base wage + $2 a hour early morning incentive. Over a decade later I get base wage + $2.01
Ive worked at Target over 25 years and only make $11.75 ...my annual pay has gone down every year the last 3 years due to getting less hours each year, even though I got small "hourly" raises my yearly pay went down.

Ive worked at Target over 25 years and only make $11.75 ...my annual pay has gone down every year the last 3 years due to getting less hours each year, even though I got small "hourly" raises my yearly pay went down.
25 years making that or less? Have you thought about promoting or changing jobs?

Sorry my mistake, I now make $12.22 after my last raise. Still not much for the seniority.
How can you live on that. I mean, I bitch about my pay but I'm still at home. I don't think you're in the same position after 25 years

So does this mean that in 2020 someone who is just starting out and someone who has been there for over 10 years could be making the same amount? :mad:

We have someone that's been at Target over 10 years being taught by a relatively new hire at our store. Seniority does not necessarily mean knowledge or work ethic.

I feel that the more target pays the more we can expect to acquire competent talent.

As I've said before, the wage means nothing when almost nobody is getting hours.

"Let's schedule only 1 person to work a 2000 piece food truck and then wonder why there are so many empty holes. It's not like 40% of our sales comes from grocery or anything. Oh wait, our grocery sales are starting to slip. Guess they need to be cut some more."

I stopped doing my weekly grocery shopping at my store. There are many grocery stores that are much closer than my Super Target and I'm tired of having to hunt someone down to get some fucking chicken out of the meat cooler. Discount be damned.

I see the issue being Target trying to raise ETLs in the "Target way" without doing a good job of it. I've met more ETLs out of the internship program that just don't know how to manage and/or don't like getting there hands dirty. The way they are now trying to compensate for lack of talent at the top is talent at the bottom. That's not to say there aren't good managers out there, but I've seen us lose good managers because the bad managers were allowed to slack and that workload was shifted to overstress a good manager. It's not just an issue in retail, but it can be hidden in retail easier than an office job.

Higher paying stores don't get less hours than low paying stores. It's based on volume/org chart

I know that. What I'm saying is that when Target is only willing to schedule most people part time hours, a higher wage means nothing. When my store's (A+ volume) team leaders are still given <30 hours and the majority of the team members get ~20 regardless of availability, a higher hourly rate doesn't amount to much. We hemorrhage talent to our competition.

@Backroom81 re:holes in grocery
Whole foods apparently doing the same thing.

You gotta spend money to make money. Target is starting to feel a financial pinch, and instead of investing in being the "Best store ever", they're cutting corners until there's nothing left. I thought what made Target different was guest service and team member availability.

Nobody want to shop with a list if they're out of half the stuff, and you can't find a TM to help.

Target has become less "I need this, I'll go to Target" and more "let's see what Target has today." People don't Need to come to target if what they Need only has a 50% chance of being there.

It's not just an issue in retail, but it can be hidden in retail easier than an office job.

Not sure I agree with this, as I've certainly seen bad managers continue in my office job--including the guy who oversaw one of the most disasterous projects I've had the misfortune to witness and has jacked things up all over the place. And yet, he continues, because the VP trusts him, for some ridiculous reason.

That's just one example, but I think all corporations are hesitant to fire managers, yet virtually none of them put any effort in to training them in how to manage people (or anything else, for that matter). Some people are natural leaders; most aren't, but it's a skill that can be taught, if companies thought it worth it to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back