Archived Waiting for call to start orentataion

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got hired a couple weeks ago and was supposed to have my orientation on the 16th but when I went there they said they had went over hours and didn't have any hours for us new hires. It's been a few days and I haven't heard anything, I've called but they're so organized I feel. They said they will call me to schedule a day maybe this week or maybe next week they weren't sure. I'm so tired of waiting I been out of a job for over a month and now I'm waiting to start this one and I'm worried I won't even get any hours.

This is not your store being organized or not. This is the reality at Target. There are few hours and it is very hard to bring someone on board as hours at Target are crappy. Yet, people find other jobs elsewhere or get tired of retail and so there is a continual cycle of hiring, leaving and firing at Target. Literally, in order for someone to plan for your training, they have to think 3/4 weeks out (many times 1 month in advance) about whether they have the 10/15 hours of training and onboarding to give to you. At lower volume stores, that 10/15 hours can mean they will not be getting a cart attendant to 3 or 4pm so they are literally pulling from 1 workcenter (one that already needed more hours to begin with) to get you on board. Higher volume stores are a little better with hours but not by much. Just recall this when you get your first schedule and you think it is 'light'.

Basically.. you'll have better luck searching Craigslist for jobs versus waiting on Target...

If a store doesn't even have hours for training/orientation, why are they hiring in the first place. o_O

For most positions you have to use actual training hours for new hires aside from your regular team. So let's say we get a limit of 100 Starbucks hours for everyone.

If we hire a new person, I have to bank hours that I am not even given for them. They need minimim 40 training hours working with someone else before they can work alone. This means having double coverage often at times it's not needed.

You always need new people with the attrition but coming up with extra hours in addition to the essential hours already needed is tough...

:eek: Sadly this is no longer a reality at my store. They get 3 days tops then on their own.

Guess it depends on position too. On o/n flow we work with a trainer for the first night (side by side basically), might work in the same aisle as someone else for the second night, then you are on your own. So that would be 19 hours max. I talked with a guy on my team that trained for cashier and he said he was trained for 2 hours of an 8 hour training shift, then put on a register alone the rest of the shift.

Same thing is happening at my old store. It's been almost a month since new hires were hired. They were supposed to have their orientation 3 weeks ago. I'm sure kids wouldn't mind waiting but for people who really need the job, I wouldn't doubt it if they started looking elsewhere. People can't afford to wait. It's a shame.

If a store doesn't even have hours for training/orientation, why are they hiring in the first place. o_O

Overall, I acknowledge Target can do better with managing employee hours. Specifically, they can give more than the stupid 5.5 hours that pull when the switch from the MAX system to the myTime system rolled out. This causes people to never be able to receive benefits and Target corporate knows this.

However, from another perspective, many of the employees I have contact with call out, have transportation issues (therefore a call out or tardiness is common and hurts the team), and even when some show, they do nothing. Yes, I have even seen TMs hide in a bathroom for 2 hours. If it hurts that bad, you should have left for home.

So know that many times, people are being hired because it is expected Joe Smith or Jane Smith will either leave or will be terminated. Again, ASANTS but I have heard this from multiple stores.

Because of people who no call no show (NCNS) and people who decide they have something better to do than go to work. Granted there are times when you have to call out - like family emergencies, funerals, or being sick; but you know there are those people who get up in the morning and say "I don't feel like working today" and call off. Or they just don't show up to work because apparently it's not a priority for them. The end result is having to cover their shift at the last minute.

You'd THINK if people were complaining about not having hours that when you called them they'd jump on the chance to come in. But that's not the reality. An operator/HR person who has to call in a replacement has to go through the whole rolodex of names JUST to get one person to say "yes". Because of this it is necessary to actually employ more people than you can give decent hours to in order to have better than average odds of getting someone to come in when you need them at the last minute. I am speaking from experience here. I have sat at the desk and called person after person trying to get just ONE to say "yes". Don't get me wrong... you have no obligation to come in when you're supposed to be off but many of the people who tell me "no" are also the people who complain about their hours being cut.

You'd THINK if people were complaining about not having hours that when you called them they'd jump on the chance to come in. But that's not the reality. An operator/HR person who has to call in a replacement has to go through the whole rolodex of names JUST to get one person to say "yes". Because of this it is necessary to actually employ more people than you can give decent hours to in order to have better than average odds of getting someone to come in when you need them at the last minute. I am speaking from experience here. I have sat at the desk and called person after person trying to get just ONE to say "yes". Don't get me wrong... you have no obligation to come in when you're supposed to be off but many of the people who tell me "no" are also the people who complain about their hours being cut.

This is spot on. At my new store they hired all these cashier's with terrible availabilities then they wanted me to call people in when we had callouts. Anyone not working was unavailable! Now I only setup interviews with people who are mostly wide open. In retail you need some people who can work on call

From reading all these posts I feel like we need a nation wide walk out, for target to start treating us better.

I waited I think it was 9 weeks for my orientation and i was only given an orientation date after I went in and like cornered the HRTM lol

From reading all these posts I feel like we need a nation wide walk out, for target to start treating us better.
Except that in some places retail is the only gig hiring.
Hard to walk out when you have others depending on you whereas the ones who call out most are living at home or with enough roommates to not feel the pinch.

Except that in some places retail is the only gig hiring.
Hard to walk out when you have others depending on you whereas the ones who call out most are living at home or with enough roommates to not feel the pinch.
I understand . Sometimes I feel like target is heartless and soulless. The way they cut down hours without considering the effects on tms personal lives..

So I got hired a couple weeks ago and was supposed to have my orientation on the 16th but when I went there they said they had went over hours and didn't have any hours for us new hires. It's been a few days and I haven't heard anything, I've called but they're so organized I feel. They said they will call me to schedule a day maybe this week or maybe next week they weren't sure. I'm so tired of waiting I been out of a job for over a month and now I'm waiting to start this one and I'm worried I won't even get any hours.

They sound very unorganized if they did not call you in advance to let you know they had to cancel the orientation. If that happened I would call the new team members so they do not waste their time and gas just to be told to go home.
I do the orientations at my store and I have to wait for my STL to give me hours. Sometimes it can be a week or two until she gives me hours. I do however call our new team members with regular updates to let them know I still do not have a date and time yet. To me, Communication is very important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back