Archived Walkie use

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys can someone please advice me on how to properly answer the walkie?... I work softlines and I feel bad every time someone is trying to reach our department and no one answers, even tho I can hear it I don't use it because I don't know how to answer!... please help !...

Last edited:
Push the button speak into the little black hole and say 'go for softlines'

hey guys can someone please advice me on how to properly answer the walkie?... I work softlines and I feel bad every time someone is trying to reach our department and no one answers, even tho I can hear it I don't do it because I don't know how to do it!... please help !

There is a soft circle button on the front of the radio if you press that everyone will hear you. Of course talk into it. The best way to respond to the radio is " Go for softlines" or " Was some one looking for softlines?" If you don't get a response just continue on with what your doing.

Our VML “eats” his walkie. As in, he will talk like “HEYTEAMISANTONEAHJSJS” and everyone is like “huh” and then he speaks English and Spanish so if he decides to talk to a specific TM mid-sentence it may sound more like “HEYTEAMOYE___QUETEHSHAH”

But some tips on a serious note:
- The walkie clips to the back holder, so you don’t have unclip your walkie from your belt every time to use it - just pull it loose lightly and begin speaking (unless you have an earpiece in which case you just need to use that microphone instead.)
- You can adjust the volume and turn it on and off using the dial. When you first turn a walkie on it makes a beep. I keep mine turnt all the way up almost.
- The middle soft button is the speaking button but you don’t need to speak extra loud or soft necessarily in the walkie. A normal speaking voice will work.
- ASANTS different stores use different channels. We use all four main channels as TMs at my store - some stores use just one or two. It is up to your store.

Thanks guys. Another question, if I'm trying to find something how should ask for it?... sorry for asking this so basic questions lol but I don't want to sound weird over the walkie

Thanks guys. Another question, if I'm trying to find something how should ask for it?... sorry for asking this so basic questions lol but I don't want to sound weird over the walkie

Say "Team, where can I find (insert product here)?"

"Team, can someone please tell me where a guest can find ____?"

"Hardlines, where can I find ___?"

Don't start talking as soon as you but the button or you'll probably cut your first couple of words off.

Channel use differs between stores. Mine goes to 2 for longer conversations. Except for the transfer who uses 4 instead.

Just listen to how everyone else talks over the radio and you'll be fine, it's how I learned.

also don't be afraid to go to another seasoned TM and just say "hey i never learned how to use the walkie, can you show me". they'll show you in like 30 seconds and may be better if our descriptions aren't working for you (some things are hard to visualize reading over the internet)

Don't start talking as soon as you but the button or you'll probably cut your first couple of words off.

Channel use differs between stores. Mine goes to 2 for longer conversations. Except for the transfer who uses 4 instead.

Just listen to how everyone else talks over the radio and you'll be fine, it's how I learned.

2 at my store is backroom.. 3 & 4 are for longer conversations. Maybe that's where he gets it?

How can you have no need for a backroom channel?
If their store is anything like mine, the backroom is small and has 2-3 TMs at any one time. No need for a dedicated channel when they're usually in earshot of each other and rarely get item requests or whatever else you'd need that channel for.

If their store is anything like mine, the backroom is small and has 2-3 TMs at any one time. No need for a dedicated channel when they're usually in earshot of each other and rarely get item requests or whatever else you'd need that channel for.
Yeah we usually have a small amount of TMs in the back too, but we use channel 2 to call them to pull an item or grab a get for guest. SFS also uses that channel to talk to each other to see who is grabbing flexes , etc. But I'm in a high volume store so I guess that's why we need the separate channel.

I would lose my mind if I had to listen to the crap on channel 1 all day.

I don't need to respond to backups, get reshop, go to huddle, or any of that stuff. So I stay on channel 2 and focus on my job.

I would lose my mind if I had to listen to the crap on channel 1 all day.

I don't need to respond to backups, get reshop, go to huddle, or any of that stuff. So I stay on channel 2 and focus on my job.
This is one of the things I love about my SFS shifts. I can communicate quickly with the other SFS/backroom folks and not worry about channel 1 chatter. The only issue is call buttons not going off on channel. 2. We have leaders get very upset when SFS TMs are close to one and do not grab it because we didn't know it was going off.

Silly how it doesn't broadcast across all channels.

This is one of the things I love about my SFS shifts. I can communicate quickly with the other SFS/backroom folks and not worry about channel 1 chatter. The only issue is call buttons not going off on channel. 2. We have leaders get very upset when SFS TMs are close to one and do not grab it because we didn't know it was going off.
SFS isn't supposed to grab call buttons. How can you get all your shit picked and pack if you're messing around with guest?

Yeah that is an issue that has come up before. Luckily we have so many TMs on the floor these days that it's not really a problem.

Please for the love of god don't whisper into the mic. The mic is located above the ptt button, not at the speaker. Don't speak a foreign language on channel 1. Keep it simple.

Please for the love of god don't whisper into the mic. The mic is located above the ptt button, not at the speaker. Don't speak a foreign language on channel 1. Keep it simple.

3. Take the damn radio off your belt to use it. This why I think people sound like a whisper..

Agreed about speaking into the Mic rather than the speaker.. The antenna points up not down..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back